Greater Magic Fang vs Amulet of Mighty Fists

Last response: in Video Games
April 26, 2005 12:31:20 AM

Ok, after some investigation, it appears to me that yes, you can apply
greater magic fang to a monk. So, using the spell casting costs in the
PHB, why would my monk spend 150,000 gp or whatever it costs to buy an
Amulet of Mighty Fists +5 as opposed to just getting a lvl 20 druid and
a lvl 9 wizard to cast a permanent Greater Magic Fang +5 on me instead?

Feedback much appreciated!
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:40:00 AM

oh forgot to say, that having the spells cast on me would only cost me
8650 gp!
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:01:58 AM

sephyr <joseph.chow@gmail.com> wrote:
>Ok, after some investigation, it appears to me that yes, you can apply
>greater magic fang to a monk. So, using the spell casting costs in the
>PHB, why would my monk spend 150,000 gp or whatever it costs to buy an
>Amulet of Mighty Fists +5 as opposed to just getting a lvl 20 druid and
>a lvl 9 wizard to cast a permanent Greater Magic Fang +5 on me instead?

Dispel Magic? The fact that GMF only affects one natural weapon?

(I think it's 300K gp, btw: AoMF +1 is 6K, multiply by 25 to get to +5)

I'd definitely limit the Caster Level of a Permanency-enhanced spell
to the lesser of the two spells' caster levels, btw.

Donald
April 26, 2005 9:35:47 AM

Alien mind control rays made sephyr <joseph.chow@gmail.com> write:
> Ok, after some investigation, it appears to me that yes, you can apply
> greater magic fang to a monk. So, using the spell casting costs in the
> PHB, why would my monk spend 150,000 gp or whatever it costs to buy an
> Amulet of Mighty Fists +5 as opposed to just getting a lvl 20 druid and
> a lvl 9 wizard to cast a permanent Greater Magic Fang +5 on me instead?

dispel magic. bwahahaha...

--
\^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/&gt;
\ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"sephyr" <joseph.chow@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, after some investigation, it appears to me that yes, you can apply
> greater magic fang to a monk. So, using the spell casting costs in the
> PHB, why would my monk spend 150,000 gp or whatever it costs to buy an
> Amulet of Mighty Fists +5 as opposed to just getting a lvl 20 druid and
> a lvl 9 wizard to cast a permanent Greater Magic Fang +5 on me instead?
>
> Feedback much appreciated!

Dispelling a spell from a 9th level wizard would be trivially easy (also
not possible, minimum caster level for making GMF permanent is 11th). Even
with two 20th level casters it is always a risk.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 4:42:20 PM

tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (Donald Tsang) wrote in
news:D 4ki06$moe$1@agate.berkeley.edu:

> sephyr <joseph.chow@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Ok, after some investigation, it appears to me that yes, you can apply
>>greater magic fang to a monk. So, using the spell casting costs in the
>>PHB, why would my monk spend 150,000 gp or whatever it costs to buy an
>>Amulet of Mighty Fists +5 as opposed to just getting a lvl 20 druid and
>>a lvl 9 wizard to cast a permanent Greater Magic Fang +5 on me instead?
>
> Dispel Magic? The fact that GMF only affects one natural weapon?
>
> (I think it's 300K gp, btw: AoMF +1 is 6K, multiply by 25 to get to +5)

Nope read the DMG it is 150K.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:02:49 PM

Donald Tsang wrote:
> sephyr <joseph.chow@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Ok, after some investigation, it appears to me that yes, you can apply
>>greater magic fang to a monk. So, using the spell casting costs in the
>>PHB, why would my monk spend 150,000 gp or whatever it costs to buy an
>>Amulet of Mighty Fists +5 as opposed to just getting a lvl 20 druid and
>>a lvl 9 wizard to cast a permanent Greater Magic Fang +5 on me instead?
>

> Dispel Magic? The fact that GMF only affects one natural weapon?
>
> (I think it's 300K gp, btw: AoMF +1 is 6K, multiply by 25 to get to +5)
>
> I'd definitely limit the Caster Level of a Permanency-enhanced spell
> to the lesser of the two spells' caster levels, btw.

6,000 x 25 = 150,000

150,000 is correct by formula.

-Tialan
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:56:45 PM

Tialan <shalahhr@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Donald Tsang wrote:
>> (I think it's 300K gp, btw: AoMF +1 is 6K, multiply by 25 to get to +5)
>
>6,000 x 25 = 150,000
>
>150,000 is correct by formula.

Wow. My math was really bad last night. I blame my one-year-old daughter,
and the resultant lack of sleep.

Donald
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:30:14 PM

sephyr wrote:
> Ok, after some investigation, it appears to me that yes, you can apply
> greater magic fang to a monk. So, using the spell casting costs in the
> PHB, why would my monk spend 150,000 gp or whatever it costs to buy an
> Amulet of Mighty Fists +5 as opposed to just getting a lvl 20 druid and
> a lvl 9 wizard to cast a permanent Greater Magic Fang +5 on me instead?
>
> Feedback much appreciated!

Dispel Magic?
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 1:04:54 AM

sephyr wrote:
> Ok, after some investigation, it appears to me that yes, you can apply
> greater magic fang to a monk. So, using the spell casting costs in the
> PHB, why would my monk spend 150,000 gp or whatever it costs to buy an
> Amulet of Mighty Fists +5

75,000gp, IIRC. Gauntlets of Mighty Fists loose the 50% surcharge
for an attack bonus on an amulet (mostly used for shapechangers and
animals), dropping it to 50,000gp.

> as opposed to just getting a lvl 20 druid and a lvl 9 wizard to cast a
> permanent Greater Magic Fang +5 on me instead? [8650gp]

It's Wiz11 for GMF, otherwise, not alot. Permanent spells can be
dispelled, permanently; plus, finding Drd20s isn't nessisarily all that
easy.
Generally though, permanent spells can be cheaper than magic items,
they just carry the dispel problem. Oh, also, things which target living
creatures have to be replaced if you die and come back.

> Feedback much appreciated!

Yes, I thought it would be.

--
tussock

Aspie at work, sorry in advance.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 1:04:55 AM

tussock <scrub@clear.net.nz> wrote in news:426e165d$1@clear.net.nz:

> sephyr wrote:
>> Ok, after some investigation, it appears to me that yes, you can apply
>> greater magic fang to a monk. So, using the spell casting costs in the
>> PHB, why would my monk spend 150,000 gp or whatever it costs to buy an
>> Amulet of Mighty Fists +5
>
> 75,000gp, IIRC. Gauntlets of Mighty Fists loose the 50% surcharge
> for an attack bonus on an amulet (mostly used for shapechangers and
> animals), dropping it to 50,000gp.

errr 100k gp not 50K gp
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 7:49:29 PM

Symbol wrote:
> "sephyr" <joseph.chow@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>Ok, after some investigation, it appears to me that yes, you can apply
>>greater magic fang to a monk. So, using the spell casting costs in the
>>PHB, why would my monk spend 150,000 gp or whatever it costs to buy an
>>Amulet of Mighty Fists +5 as opposed to just getting a lvl 20 druid and
>>a lvl 9 wizard to cast a permanent Greater Magic Fang +5 on me instead?
> Dispelling a spell from a 9th level wizard would be trivially easy (also
> not possible, minimum caster level for making GMF permanent is 11th). Even
> with two 20th level casters it is always a risk.

Does that dispel take it away permanently? There are some magic items that just
become 'inactive' for random amount of rounds if dispelled.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
--till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

~consul wrote:

> Symbol wrote:
> > "sephyr" <joseph.chow@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >>Ok, after some investigation, it appears to me that yes, you can apply
> >>greater magic fang to a monk. So, using the spell casting costs in the
> >>PHB, why would my monk spend 150,000 gp or whatever it costs to buy an
> >>Amulet of Mighty Fists +5 as opposed to just getting a lvl 20 druid and
> >>a lvl 9 wizard to cast a permanent Greater Magic Fang +5 on me instead?
> > Dispelling a spell from a 9th level wizard would be trivially easy (also
> > not possible, minimum caster level for making GMF permanent is 11th). Even
> > with two 20th level casters it is always a risk.
>
> Does that dispel take it away permanently?

Yes. See PHB, page 176: Duration: Permanent.

-Bluto
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:05:23 AM

~consul <consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote:
>Symbol wrote:
>> "sephyr" <joseph.chow@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>Ok, after some investigation, it appears to me that yes, you can apply
>>>greater magic fang to a monk. So, using the spell casting costs in the
>>>PHB, why would my monk spend 150,000 gp or whatever it costs to buy an
>>>Amulet of Mighty Fists +5 as opposed to just getting a lvl 20 druid and
>>>a lvl 9 wizard to cast a permanent Greater Magic Fang +5 on me instead?
>>
>> Dispelling a spell from a 9th level wizard would be trivially easy (also
>> not possible, minimum caster level for making GMF permanent is 11th). Even
>> with two 20th level casters it is always a risk.
>
>Does that dispel take it away permanently? There are some magic items
>that just become 'inactive' for random amount of rounds if dispelled.

That's the difference between a "permanent" spell and a magic item.

Donald
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:55:15 PM

Donald Tsang wrote:
> ~consul <consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote:
>>Does that dispel take it away permanently? There are some magic items
>>that just become 'inactive' for random amount of rounds if dispelled.
> That's the difference between a "permanent" spell and a magic item.

For some reason, I thought it was a magic item we were talking about, that the
spell was cast on something the Monk held.

There's no wiggle room for the special cases of a Monk's unarmed attack and what
his hands/feet classify as? Or was this addressed in a Sage Advice already?
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
--till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 4:58:01 PM

"~consul" <consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote in message
news:D 56apq$q3t$1@gist.usc.edu...
> Symbol wrote:
> > "sephyr" <joseph.chow@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >>Ok, after some investigation, it appears to me that yes, you can apply
> >>greater magic fang to a monk. So, using the spell casting costs in
the
> >>PHB, why would my monk spend 150,000 gp or whatever it costs to buy an
> >>Amulet of Mighty Fists +5 as opposed to just getting a lvl 20 druid
and
> >>a lvl 9 wizard to cast a permanent Greater Magic Fang +5 on me
instead?
> > Dispelling a spell from a 9th level wizard would be trivially easy
(also
> > not possible, minimum caster level for making GMF permanent is 11th).
Even
> > with two 20th level casters it is always a risk.
>
> Does that dispel take it away permanently?

Yes.

> There are some magic items that just
> become 'inactive' for random amount of rounds if dispelled.

That is why items are better and more expensive.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 9:05:30 PM

~consul <consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote:
>>>Does that dispel take it away permanently? There are some magic items
>>>that just become 'inactive' for random amount of rounds if dispelled.
>>
>> That's the difference between a "permanent" spell and a magic item.
>
>For some reason, I thought it was a magic item we were talking
>about, that the spell was cast on something the Monk held.
>
>There's no wiggle room for the special cases of a Monk's unarmed
>attack and what his hands/feet classify as? Or was this addressed
>in a Sage Advice already?

If you want to "item"-ize your unarmed strikes, check out the Kensai
Prestige Class in Complete Warrior.

Donald
!