Toshiba display not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello, I have a SATELLITE M40X-129 GR. It was woking fine until one day I decided to change the OS. I restarted the machine, pressed f12 to select boot device then the display went off and it's not powering on. It's not the invertor or something like that. I tested it out on bright light.

The laptop powers on...I hear fans spinning at start...but after they go off...no hdd activity or other activity but the power led stays on.
Also I noticed that sometimes, dvd-rw starts...sometimes it doesn't.

What seems to be the problem?

rEd_SeCt0r

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Hello, I have a SATELLITE M40X-129 GR. It was woking fine until one day I decided to change the OS. I restarted the machine, pressed f12 to select boot device then the display went off and it's not powering on. It's not the invertor or something like that. I tested it out on bright light.

The laptop powers on...I hear fans spinning at start...but after they go off...no hdd activity or other activity but the power led stays on.
Also I noticed that sometimes, dvd-rw starts...sometimes it doesn't.

What seems to be the problem?
Hi,

Make sure there is not a DVD/CD in the drive.

Other thing to try is to remove the power cable & battery from the laptop & hold the power button down for about 20 secs.
Then plug mains in & try to boot.
If it works, shut it down & put battery back in then boot as normal.

Good luck,

Pete

G

Hello Pete, first of all, thanks for the reply. I have tried what you said but still the display doesn't turn on. Also if you have other suggestions please tell me. I'm not a beginner. Are there any other things I can try out? I'm scared that maybe my video cart has died.

rEd_SeCt0r

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Ok, what you can try is to hook the laptop up to a TV or monitor with a vga cable.
If it is a TV, then select the appropriate mode via remote first.
On some laptops, you have to enable the mode for external display.

Other thing to try is to remove hard drive & try to power laptop.
It could be your hard drive is causing a problem.
Normally 1 screw & pull out to the side, but does vary on some laptops.

Also, try removing all ram chips.
If you can remove all ram, then try one in at a time to make sure neither is defective.

Pete

G

Hello, I've already done all of this. But sadly, no success. Other suggestions?

rEd_SeCt0r

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Hmmmm.
I'm not familiar with your laptop, but where the power button is, does it sit in a removable panel?
Sometimes, this panel lifts or slides out & you can see the switches under the panel for the power button etc.

It could be your power switch is getting jammed, so when you push it, it powers laptop on, then after 4-5 secs, it powers it off again.

If not, you might need to try & remove the top part of the chassis & see if it works without the cover on.
Please note, you do this at your own risk, as you are exposing the insides of the laptop, & therefore putting yourself at risk of moving parts, heat & possible electric shock.
You might find a disassembly/repair guide on here, or elsewhere on the internet.

Depending on the age of the laptop, you might need to get someone qualified to have a look at it.
I say this, because apart from what I have just suggested above, you have tried most logical solutions & they have not worked.

Good luck.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.