juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I was expecting a total lose for intel.In AD&D we say critical hit but some 3D rendering goes easy for intel.SSE2 start to pay off.

I will like a complete benchmark in 3d rendering.I am not sure of AMD will still keep is crown.

1 P4 2.0 have beat t-bird 1.4 in all sysmark sub-bench not long ago.What happen???

Wisdom dont come with time
Meilleur chance la prochaine fois

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
::translates::

I was expecting a total loss for intel, in AD&d we would call it a critical hit, but some 3d rendering benchmarks were won easily by Intel. SSE2 is starting to pay off.

I would like a complete benchmarking suite for 3d rendering, I am not sure if AMD will be able to maintain its crown in this.

The p4@2 used to beat the tbird @1.4 in all of the sys mark sub benches, what has changed to make it different now.

MY replys.

They changed the rendering program, why, no one knows. But AMD was winning last time in the benchmark they used for the last roundup. (if I recall correctly) sse2 is still not supported by many many apps, and it will be quite some time before it is(by then amd will use it as well.)

A complete 3d rendering suite is something I would like to see as well, with a plethora of modern 3d rendering apps with and without sse2 support etc. I too am unsure as to who would win that.

The reason the 1.4ghz tbird beat the 2ghz p4 is the new mobo, the old benches were ran on amd 760, and there are newer faster chipsets now, like I said, the tbird 1.4 on a good mobo(nforce/kt266a or even sis 735) is roughly equal to a p4@2ghz.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
they changed the rendering program because no one(I know)uses the overpriced, overbloated 3dmax, sorry but the Emmy goes to Area 51 for dune, done in Lightwave3d.

I don't understand why you freak'n pups dont want to acknowlege SSE2 bench results for the P4 and then turn around and cry about WM7 not seeing SSE in the AXP.

welcome to the realworld.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMeltdown on 11/05/01 05:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I don't understand why you freak'n pups want to acknowlege SSE2 bench results for the P4 and then turn around and cry about WM7 not seeing SSE in the AXP.
1) Hmmm, you're saying we should acknowledge SSE2 results for the P4, then throw out SSE results for the XP? Because that's what that above statement means. Maybe in your fanasy dreamland, it holds true, but you can't have it both ways here. Welcome to the "realworld." :lol:

2) WM7's failure to detect SSE on the XP is developer stupidity. Intel published the proper method of detecting SSE when SSE was first released, and MS still used an improper method to detect SSE capabilities. That should invalidate the use of WM7 in benchmarking, since 99.9% of the software out there detects SSE properly without a patch. Perhaps if you take the time to know <i>how</i> the SSE feature is detected, you'll understand that.

3) SSE2 would be mildly more impressive, if it actually enabled the P4 to gain a lead. Unfortunately, <A HREF="http://www.aceshardware.com/read_news.jsp?id=55000336" target="_new">the P4's still struggling to keep up!</A>

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I meant <i>dont</i> I was in a rush, lunch breaks for me are like 10mins here.

"3) SSE2 would be mildly more impressive, if it actually enabled the P4 to gain a lead. Unfortunately, the P4's still struggling to keep up!"

SSE2 is impressive if implemented correctly <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q4/011105/xp1900-08.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q4/011105/xp1900-08.html</A>

why use Maya when Lightwave is cheaper?

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

chrismet86

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
Progressively over time, I've started more and more to like AMD. Now that the XP processors are out, I'm really starting to like them and I'm going to be purchasing stock in them soon because I have a feeling, once they release the Hammer processor, they're going to become even a larger threat to Intel. Intel had control of the market, but apparently they didn't have what was needed to keep it.

From an objective point of view, competition is good for the consumer :)

BTW for those who still claim the Pentium 4 dominates, please review the benchmarks. Don't just look at toms, check out the ones AMD released to back up their marketing campaign. It's not just called a 1900+ to confuse consumers, it's right. Considering of all the game benchmarks at AMD's website for the new processors, the Pentium 4 only beat the XP on one of them by 10%. On one benchmark, the XP won by 50%. That's quite impressive.

See when the Hammer processor comes out to the market, it will be able to process 32 and 64 bit code. It's allowing people to naturally change over to the 64 bit code. I think we have a winner :)

AMD's Hammer is gonna smash Intel

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hey matty....
here is something else u can translate for me.
it comes direct from the athlon XP 1900+ article today:

"Windows XP Final, Build 2600 (Englisch)"

Englisch? what language is that? lol

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
"in AD&D..."

YES

those4 were the days...

though with this debate its more like 2 opponents sitting inside the area effect of a "stinking cloud" spell.
who will fall unconcious first?
:)

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Ok, dude wtf is wrong 3dsmax? It's the best damn 3d prog I have ever used. IMO, Maya and the rest suck. I think you just don't like it cause Intel is absolutely destroyed in it.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Ok, dude wtf is wrong 3dsmax? It's the best damn 3d prog I have ever used. IMO, Maya and the rest suck. I think you just don't like it cause Intel is absolutely destroyed in it."

"used" the question is: did you buy it? if not then end of debate.

Lighwave has a world class render engine it can not be beat, it is probably second to SI or renderman.

3dmax is bloated, workflow is hampered and the license fees are crazy

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Oh yeah, and as far as I recall, teh price of Lightwave is a teeny bit more expensive, something along teh lines of 2x teh price of max. See, I get student discounts. And I tried lightwave, but what the hell is it with starting a network and other BS? In max, you just open the app and get right to work; 2 other programs don't launch in your task bar.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

jds580s

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
But remember you can't compare the educational price of 3ds with the commercial retail price of LW. The educational discount for Lightwave is $869 on the PC.

As for the hub starting in the task bar, users who don't like it can turn it off.