Hi all, please help in this decision, I am looking to buy new laptop. The current one is a HP business 6710b, this was good at its age. I am using it mainly for reading and coding during my weekends,commute and travels. All other informations are below.
1. budget: ~1500$ (I can add more if it is necessary)
2. size: 15
3. screen resolution: current is 1600 x 1050 - this looks good, I am using it to read a lot
4. portable or desktop laptop: portable as I have a very powerful desktop
5. battery life do you need: at least 4-5 hours of reading and coding/programming work
6. play games with your : NO
7. what other tasks do you want to do with your laptop: reading a lot, coding in c++/ c# /java
8. how much storage: 100GB SSD or more - I have a 50 SSD now and is full
9. if you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links: no
10. how long do you want to keep your laptop: last one 3 years, prev. one 2 years
11. optical drive : don't need
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy: any but to support windows also
13. What country do you live in? USA/WA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed:
1. one of the most important is the heat factor, I am keeping it a lot on my leg in cafeteria or other places and the last HP 6710B was very bad.
2. the screen needs to be very good as I read on it a lot (desktop I have an IPS)
3. it needs to be light as the current one ( HP 6710B) is pretty heavy
I would highly recommend lenovo; Asus, Dell come second. That is reliability-wise. Had only bad experiences with HP, not happy with Acer (low-end Acer).
Lenovo is still the best in terms of reliable hardware (their professional laptops), their keyboard is second-to-none. A lightweight model with an extended battery should last you a long time.
That's my experience; others' mileage may vary.