Sign in with
Your question

AthlonXP and Windows - reinstall?

Last response: in CPUs
November 5, 2001 5:49:33 PM

Okay, so I ordered my new Athlon XP 1900+ and it should arrive this week. My motherboard is Athlon XP-ready, so I shouldn't have any trouble just plopping it in. However, I read somewhere (I can't remember where) that in order to reap the full benefits of the Athlon XP's new features, that I will have to reinstall Windows. I'm currently running Windows XP. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me, or at least provide a little more information?

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>
November 5, 2001 7:10:40 PM

Um, unless they changed Windows XP considerably, I can't see why you would need to reinstall it to gain benifits from a new CPU, assuming that's all you're changing. CPUs don't have drivers.

However, a MB swap is a different story. You should just need to install the new drivers, but sometimes drivers clutter things up, so a clean install can help.

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:
November 5, 2001 7:33:55 PM

Well, the motherboard is already installed with my older processor, so I should just be able to take the old processor out and put the new one in.

Like I said, I don't remember where I read that blurb about needing to reinstall Windows if you get an XP processor. I was pretty doubtful myself, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>
Related resources
November 5, 2001 10:48:22 PM

just to be sure go for a bios update too

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?
November 6, 2001 1:40:00 PM

Yes you will need to reinstall windows.

The xp has sse and the install of windows you are running is not using it, it will run, but the sse function will not work, you have to reinstall to let windows know that you have sse function.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
November 7, 2001 3:29:58 AM

I thought windows XP did have some special drivers for the CPU. If this were the case you'd simply have to go into the add hardware manager and update your processor driver (if it wasn't done automatically). Then this change should allow the entire OS to use the new features of the new CPU. Unless Windows XP has a few stupid things in its coding you shouldn't have to reinstall the operating system. I normally reinstall windws every month or two so installing isn't a pain (in 98se it isn't anyways) but I can see how it could be with XP.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2001 7:21:35 AM

I'll second Mat here. You HAVE to reinstall. Updating drivers is not enough, as in the setup process Windows installs either SSE or non SSE libraries for the OS, DirectX, and some apps (probably media player and such).

Reinstalling is the only viable option. However, XP has a nifty gadget that allows you to export your settings, so at least you dont have to reconfigure all that all over.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
November 7, 2001 8:52:17 AM

and from my experience, trying to hook up a hdd (with os and everything installed) onto a diff mobo, it won't boot, least win2000 won't.

well if luck is a lady, it explains why i have no luck :frown:
!