Why is everyone so excited of some Nforce mobos?

eden

Champion
Look I see they have awesome numbers in there, but damn why is everyone so excited if it comes with GF2 MX cards? I mean they relatively suck now! I thought they would like pump a GF3 in there, and really be a mobo of death! And I hope they release benchmarks soon...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
im not.

i believe the initial histeria came drom the days of the amd760, ali magik and via kt266 chipsets... ok, but not an amazing jump in performance from sdram to ddr.
so the idea of dual channel ddr sounded very good (at least to me)
now with the sis735, the much improved kt266a and ddr-333 based mobo's soon the nforce doesnt look that amazing anymore, and while onboard MX2 graphics is a quantum step up from previous integrated systems, it still kinda sucks compared to the 'average' geforce2gts or pro.
plus, nforce is kinda expensive.

what i really want to see is a DUAL cpu nforce... this way the memory bandwidth can be properly maxxed out with 2 cpus :)
as it stands the bandwidth is underutilised atm.

note: this is all "IMHO" stuff :)

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You've mised the point complletely. Nobody in here (well, hardly anybody) cares about the onboard graphics, it's the high performance and killer sound they're after.

Back to you Tom...

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
The next Crush chipset (nForce) due out h1/02 will incorporate a GeForce3 core into the Northbridge.

Meanwhile, nVidia is continuing to tweak performance of the current nForce. Initial performance with the first stable drivers was on par with kt266A. The version with the latest drivers benched in the last week seems to increase performance by 5-10%.

I wonder how much nVidia can tweak their drivers to further improve performance....1%? 5%? 10% more? In any case, some people will find the increased performance a compelling reason to purchase nForce. Even if they have to bypass the onboard video and add an external card.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
It's a great chipset for me, since I'm in the "want the best, but can't afford it" category. NForce gives me a high performing motherboard, great sound, network card, and reasonable graphics all for the price of a high performing motherboard.
If you already have good sound and network cards, and a better graphics card, then I suppose the NForce isn't for you, but for me is upgrades half of my systems components in one hit.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
The next Crush chipset (nForce) due out h1/02 will incorporate a GeForce3 core into the Northbridge.

Where did you get this information?
How do they intend to supply the GeForce 3 with the bandwidth that it requires?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i was just thinking... now that they have dual channel ram... how hard would it be to have triple channel or quad channel??? :) :) :)

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I dont know anymore about the Nforce but what really excites me is the SiS DDR400 p4 chipset in the making. Oh Nelly !!!

That means a SiS DDR400 AMD chipset would be on the way too.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Probably not too hard, except for the problems they have with putting 4 DDR RAM slots on a motherboard. It would be annoying if you have to have 3 or 4 sticks of RAM.
The GeForce 3 has 128 bit 460Mhz DDR RAM right? So you would need three channel 64 bit 400Mhz DDR RAM to provide enough bandwidth for a GeForce 3 and an Athlon CPU.

G

Exactly
hForce like anyother integrated chipsent only for budget Pc's, so i you want a high buy a via and add optional componets.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Good point. It would cease to be a budget MB if you need that much High Performance Ram anyway, and by the time it would, there would be better Vid cards.

Personaly, I hope the nForce board does well, because the dual memory architecture. It could be a significant advance in DDR SDRam. And with increasing mem speeds, in Rambus may have to watch out, or at least learn how to reduce the latency.

Don't you love competition?

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't forget that the nForce also has AGP expansion capability. It's more like a i815e rather than a i810.

<font color=blue>Another waste of bandwidth on the web. :tongue: </font color=blue>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I am also way more impresse by sis.Who is consider like very stable chipset.

Wisdom dont come with time
Meilleur chance la prochaine fois

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
There's no point increasing memory bandwidth further unless the cpu is optimised to use it. The Athlon/XP isn't. Maybe thoroughbred will be (I doubt it - maybe 166/333DDR?) but until such time there is no point having higer memory bandwidth for AMD cpus - unless you are making a dualie board, and I doubt nVidia are going anywhere near that since they are doing the integrated thing...

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well there are DDR-333 boards comming... and that just uses lower multipliers while boosting the fsb... which is good.
nforce however has the same 266 fsb. now it would be relly excellent if it had a 533fsb or something :)

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
I think AMD may actually be working on higher mem bandwidth for Thoroughbred. As you mentioned, Athlon is maxxed out with the PC2100 RAM for the most part. Nearly all the MB manufacturers, INCLUDING nVidia have much higher memory bandwidth capable boards on the roadmap for h1/02. Perhaps they know something we don't!

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Errm, hard.

Dual channel Rambus requires 32 traces for the data bus, 'cos the current RDRAM is 16 bit. For Dual Channel DDR, I think there are 128 traces for the data bus (2x64). Now consider a 4 channel board. That requires 256 traces. Not least the capcitence problems you get and the difficulty of routing all those little wires.

Woke up in Borneo one day, stuck in the pouch of a big marsupial, but the boat was made of marsipan!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
:) right.

i still believe that nforce is a great platform for a dualie system.

oh, and there are no marsupials in borneo ;)

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It seems the best graphics capabilities you could get out of nforce would be a geforce 2 pretty much. 266 MHz memory bandwidth would be pretty nice, they would just have to make sure it had 4 rendering pipelines instead of 2 like the MX.
Unless they made a special slot for high speed DDR video memory I don't think they could put a geforce 3 on board unless it was highly cripped by video memory bandwidth.
Oh yea and I do think that nForce would make for the perfect MP motherboard because of dual channel DDR memory. Somehow though I think it'll be awhile before anyone besides AMD releases an MP chipset. Look how long it took for the 762MP chipset, and now how long its taking for the second (supposedly better/cheaper) revision of that chipset.

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It would be more like a geforce 3 MX. It will most likely be slower compared to the current g3 lines but it will most likely have all of it's features.

<font color=blue>Another waste of bandwidth on the web. :tongue: </font color=blue>

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I know, but its better than an exploding Guava fruit.

I wasn't saying the Nforce was a bad platfrom, mearly commenting on the difficulties of having multiple channels of memory.

Woke up in Borneo one day, stuck in the pouch of a big marsupial, but the boat was made of marsipan!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
also what would be nice is a nforce chipset for the pentium4.

beat rdram at its own game with 4.2mb/sec bandwidth.

OEMs selling "High End"PCs with integrated video will be forced into Q3tournaments using a TNT2M64!

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Would be nice, but Intel refuse to license the P4 bus to nVidia for reasons best known to themselves.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
That reminds me of a company I used to work for, where I built Dialogic-based systems. One of their customers is/was Call Time International; they have an Australian branch called Call Time Australia (how appropriate).

Well, one of the orders we shipped to them was a two-tier 7u rackmount system. For some reason, they ended up shipping it back for a warranty replacement, and instead of using the original properly-padded 7u shipping box, they stuck the system in a 5u box (<b>3.5" shorter</b> than the proper container) with <b>no padding at all.</b> This system was roughly the shape of a cube when new; it came back to us in the shape of a parallelogram.

We made all sorts of jokes about that system, mostly having to do with Steve Erwin taking the thing onto the set with him, a kangaroo doing unspeakable things to it, etc. etc. After the thing sat in our RMA area for a while, we put a large label on the top saying, "Australian for server." :wink:

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."

P.S. A little tasteless humor for you...<A HREF="http://www.liquid2k.com/rich1108/img/s_gal_humpingKangaroos.jpg" target="_new">Welcome to Australia.</A>

Sorry, I couldn't resist.