Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 not running properly

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
May 17, 2010 10:09:22 PM

Starting today my computer is running EXTREMELY slow. I do not know what happened because it was running just fine last night. I can't even right click without having it freeze up. Any program I run freezes up, even task manager and explorer. I am not exaggerating at all. I highly doubt a virus because there are no signs (besides being very slow) of one. At first I thought it might be a hardware issue since I have upgraded the gpu to a 4870 over 5 months ago even though I am still running on an amd athlon x2 4400 2.3ghz. I thought maybe the severe bottleneck issue was finally getting the best of my machine. I say this because when I play bad company 2, my cpu temperatures go over 60 degrees C. I don't know if that has to do with anything but I thought maybe it helped with the description. Besides being a possible hardware issue, I also thought it could be a software one because it runs just fine in safe mode (besides not being able to do anything). Please, anybody who can share any suggestions, advice or information help me.
My specs:
Compaq Presario SR5601p ( heavily modified)
Amd athlon 4400+ 2.3ghz
Ati 4870
3 gigs ram
550 watt power supply
anything else you might need to know just ask, thanks
a b $ Windows 7
May 17, 2010 11:02:53 PM

Quote:
I also thought it could be a software one because it runs just fine in safe mode (besides not being able to do anything).

This suggests a driver issue is causing a problem. Safe Mode loads fewer system drivers to operate. If any updated system hardware drivers have been installed recently, perhaps go back to the prior driver. Also, download and install the latest driver from ati.com for the Radeon 4870. PCI adapter cards like a wireless adapter are updated by Microsoft update on occasion and can have issues with new drivers. A system restore point before the slowdown occured would be worth a shot.
m
l
May 18, 2010 2:16:40 AM

Hi, I'm the OP's friend. He got a black screen reading "Disk Drive Error." I'm inclined to believe this is a hard drive error. It may not be relevant to Windows 7, but if anyone might think it is something else, please post here. Thank you.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 18, 2010 4:20:20 AM

dammit525 said:
Starting today my computer is running EXTREMELY slow. I do not know what happened because it was running just fine last night. I can't even right click without having it freeze up. Any program I run freezes up, even task manager and explorer. I am not exaggerating at all. I highly doubt a virus because there are no signs (besides being very slow) of one. At first I thought it might be a hardware issue since I have upgraded the gpu to a 4870 over 5 months ago even though I am still running on an amd athlon x2 4400 2.3ghz. I thought maybe the severe bottleneck issue was finally getting the best of my machine. I say this because when I play bad company 2, my cpu temperatures go over 60 degrees C. I don't know if that has to do with anything but I thought maybe it helped with the description. Besides being a possible hardware issue, I also thought it could be a software one because it runs just fine in safe mode (besides not being able to do anything). Please, anybody who can share any suggestions, advice or information help me.
My specs:
Compaq Presario SR5601p ( heavily modified)
Amd athlon 4400+ 2.3ghz
Ati 4870
3 gigs ram
550 watt power supply
anything else you might need to know just ask, thanks

Can you run a chkdsk?

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 19, 2010 9:58:16 AM

thesupermedium said:
Hi, I'm the OP's friend. He got a black screen reading "Disk Drive Error." I'm inclined to believe this is a hard drive error. It may not be relevant to Windows 7, but if anyone might think it is something else, please post here. Thank you.

If he's tried JessicaD's solution and, hopefully, ignored the other spamming advertisement, he might like to take the hard drive out and slave it to another computer to put his data in a place of safety before attempting further repairs. Checkdisk can fix some things with the /r switch but if the hard disk is fatally flawed, files should come off while they still can.

m
l
May 19, 2010 7:23:40 PM

Agreed, this behavior can totally happen with a failing hard drive -- the freezes are the drive trying to read critical data. Better safe than sorry especially after that error.

In safe mode, you should also be able to see tons of errors in the event logs from the hard drive read fails.

The rig should otherwise run fine and the temperature has nothing to do with performance.
m
l
May 19, 2010 8:30:38 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies but my hard drive has in fact failed and it is now in the freezer. I was hoping that I could make restore disks if the freezing trick worked but if it doesn't I am also going to try saga's idea.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 20, 2010 6:59:42 AM

dammit525 said:
Thank you everyone for the replies but my hard drive has in fact failed and it is now in the freezer. I was hoping that I could make restore disks if the freezing trick worked but if it doesn't I am also going to try saga's idea.

[#0005ff]Good luck with that. The freezing trick works better if the disk warms up quickly and expands to free any jammed platters so it may be better to put it back in side a computer rather than outside as a slave. Use a Linux LiveCD to fish around in there and save the files out to an external or flash drive.[/#000ff]
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 20, 2010 9:36:45 AM

If the data is vital, it's likely the drive's controller that failed. Buy an identical drive and locate someone or some company to switch out the bad controller.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 20, 2010 11:05:17 AM

badge said:
If the data is vital, it's likely the drive's controller that failed. Buy an identical drive and locate someone or some company to switch out the bad controller.

And that's precisely why, when I destroy a hard disk, I keep the circuit board. Sadly, I'm not efficient enough to label them first and they're all in a bit of a heap but anyone is more than welcome to PM me with a photograph of a dead one and I'll see if I have a replacement.

m
l
!