Celeron 800 / PIII 800

Currently I have Asus P2B motherboard which states that it supports Pentium II and Celeron. I found the market sells Slot 1 Pentium III but will my motherboard be able to support it. Another question here, let's say I want to get a Celeron 800 or PIII 800 socket 370 of course I have to get the Slotkets to use either of the processors on Slot 1 but the problem is whether my motherboard supports Celeron 800 or PIII 800?Asus P2B can have 100 Mhz bus speed and if I get the Coppermine Celeron 800 Mhz which is 100 Mhz as FSB, does my mobo support it?If my mobo supports both the processors, i still don't know whether it can have the voltage lower than 2.0 the old celeron because the new celeron uses 1.5 i think..anyone please help..thanks a lot..
54 answers Last reply
More about celeron piii
  1. I have an Asus P2B, and read the manual carefully. The updated manual says that it can support PIIIs too. I should have mine by the middle of next week (the PIII), so I'll let you know.

Also, you can run the FSB at 133 on that MB with no overclocking of the PCI/AGP bus.

On the slot1 adapter, I'm not sure if that will work. The P2B autosenses the needs of the core for voltage, and that might not work correctly with an adapter. You can get a Retail Box PIII 800EB (Coppermine 133 FSB) at www.googlegear.com for close to 120, so you get the fan and the warenty too.

The max settings on the P2B is an FSB of 133/33, and a multiplier of 8x

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
    Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:
  2. The PIII 800E will work. In fact it will outperform the Celeron 800 by at least 20%.
    More significant is the fact that your motherboard also supports 133MHz FSB. A different version of the PIII 800, the 800EB, has a 133MHz FSB and will outperform the Celeron 800 by at least 30%, as long as you have the necessary PC133 SDRAM.
    I would get the PIII 700 and overclock it to 933. I would also use the FC-PGA version on an Abit Slotket III, and cool it with an Evercool ND-8 cooler. The slotket III is only $8.99 at <A HREF="http://www.googlegear.com" target="_new">http://www.googlegear.com</A> put part number 707603 in the search box at that site. The Evercool ND-8 is available at <A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com" target="_new">http://www.nexfan.com</A>. The PIII 700E FC-PGA is avialable at many venders for under $100, and when overclocked to 933 will beet all other options within $30 of it's price for you motherboard.

Back to you Tom...
  3. alright Crashman, you are VERY SURE they will work on my mobo right?how bout the voltage ?because P2B tends to detect the voltage required but the SlotKet can be used to set the voltage by using jumpers am i right?
    so which one should i follow and must i update my BIOS?
    i check my manual and it says Rev 1.03
  4. With P2B rev1.03, slot1 CuMine is out for you. Only choice is fcpga+slotket. Slotket has to support coppermines (all current ones do) and you must be able set voltage manually with jumpers. Also, p3-700e is great choice because its ability to reach 933Mhz. But remember - some of vidcards don't like "old" 133Mhz fsb (BX does not have 1/2 AGP divider), so you must first check if your vidcard likes 88Mhz AGP.
  5. of course i am not planning to use Slot 1 CuMine..
    i am planning to use the fcpga + slotket..
    i am changing my video card to either geforce 2 mx 400 64 mb OR gts 32mb so does it accept the 88 mhz?
    and oh yeah how bout PCI cards liek sound card and my hard disk...will them be affected as well?
  6. The P2B 133 FSB setting runs the PCI bus at 33 acording to the manual.

And yes, updating your bios is a good thing.

7. I'm VERY SURE that combination will work for your motherboard.

Back to you Tom...
  8. alright if the combination works.. how bout the voltages?
    my mobo detects the voltage needed and will send the voltage detected
    and also the slotket has the jumpers to set voltage..
    so what should i do?and it's not a must to update my BIOS to make the combination works right?
  9. I would update the BIOS first. The Slotket I recommended will alter the detected voltage. I would set the voltage at 1.80v, because some older motherboards can't go any lower. You can try it at the proper 1.65v or 1.70v, it might work at that voltage, but if not, 1.80v should be fine. Also the 1.80v setting will allow you to gain a little stability for overclocking.

Back to you Tom...
  10. let's say i buy a celeron 800, do i still need to update my BIOS?settting it to 1.80 V will not kill my processor or mobo?
  11. Higher voltage won't cause a problem if you have proper cooling. Just monitor the temp and make sure it's fine.

As far as updating the Bios, I would do it anyway. The P2B bios is easy to flash.

12. what if I don't?will it still recognize that celeron 800 or the PIII 700?
    or will it cause any problem?
  13. I've had the PIII Coppermine at up to 2.6v without damage. One thing to remember is that a Celeron II IS a PIII coppermine with modified cache (half of it's disabled, the other half works slower). the make Celerons from PII's with defective cache. So either way you'll want the BIOs update. The processor will be recognised for it's multiplier, 7x for the PIII 700E, 8x for the Celeron II 800. This muliplier is built into the chip, so that onboard multiplier changes have no effect. Overclocking is handled by changing the bus speed, which is why the 700E is such a good deal, it goes to 933 quite easily by changing the bus speed to 133MHz.
    I have not heard of anyone burning one of these out at anything less than 2v. They have built in thermal protection that turns the processor off if it reaches a dangerously high temp. The cooler I recommended will do the job very well and has a low enough height to avoid conflict with other parts.

Back to you Tom...
  14. alright thanks a lot..but another question here..
    when i install the PIII 700 or celeron 800 into a slotket, set to 1.8 V and put into slot 1, how about the jumpers onboard?of course the FSB matters but the multiplier doesnt matter?so changing it to 3.0 ..
    will the celeron 800 / PIII 700 run at their own speed?
  15. In weird circumstances (Abit's "speed error hold") you will get a message telling you it's the wrong multiplier, in which case you would either set it to 7x/8x or turn off "speed error hold". But I've never seen anything like that on any other board (including Asus).

Back to you Tom...
  16. oh thanks a lot.. so it is still better to change the multiplier jumper on board first.
  17. Sometimes it's better, usually it doesn't make a difference.

Back to you Tom...
  18. so before i slot in the Slotket with processor on it and voltage adjusted, if i am going to get a 100 Mhz processor so i have to update my BIOS only right?
  19. UPDATE YOUR BIOS ALREADY!

Back to you Tom...
  20. yeap i just did it..
  21. GREAT! Now you can quit asking about it!
    Just sell your old board. I pay $30 for good working Asus and Abit BX motherboards.

Back to you Tom...
  22. hahhaha i have no money to buy a new mobo haha..
    i am going to upgrade anyway using the same mobo but changing processor..
  23. Crashman or anyone!another question over here
    If I get Celeron 1.0 ghz, can it be installed on my P2B motherboard with a FCPGA slotket?I thought of this because since the multiplier is locked, the maximum multiplier on P2B is 8 and it will not change the celeron 1.0 ghz multiplier.. only matter here is FSB.. will any problem appear if i do like that?
  24. my decision is to get a PIII 700 and overclock it to 933 Mhz.. i realise taht for its price i can get a lot better perfomance than the rest of the processors.
    any additional cooling needed and also i just check my mobo VCORE Voltage it is 2.0 V.if i adjust the voltage on the FCPGA slotket 1.8V, it wont interfere with the 2.0 or it will follow?
  25. as I said earlier, set the voltage settings on the board to default, and let the slotket take control.

there is no interference for core voltage settings since this voltage is never seen outside the processor. on the outside is the I/O voltage which is still 2.6~3.3V which easily works with the motherboard. for a motherboard, its still appears to be a slot1 processor!

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
  26. so if i am overclocking from 700 to 933
    i guess setting the voltage on the slotket around 1.8 V will do?
    is the voltage on slotket is the VCORE voltage?but i read that maximum VCORE voltage to be set is +0.3 V nothing more than that or else it's dangerous?
  27. yes the P3 datasheets say so! actually these are absolute ratings. It does not mean the processor will die as soon as you apply Vcore + 0.13V to it. In fact at times it might be actually useful especially when overclocking that you are about to! But still it <i>is</i> dangerous!

Higher voltage means higher current, higher power consumption and higher heat generation reaching dangerous levels. Get a good cooler for both the processor and the chipset.

girish

28. just checked the P2B manual. if you have a newer rev board, you can set the FSB to 113 MHz, but thats a direct jump from 112! And the PCI clock could either be 33.6 or 43.3, they havent specified it exactly what it would be or how it would be.

In any case you could overclock it to 112 MHz thats closer to 114 I mentioned earlier for CLK/3 PCI speed.

girish

29. maybe 133 MHz would work fine! Best of Luck!

30. well if it's 40 mhz and above, it will be dangerous to my hard disk right?wut is the default voltage for PIII 700?if it's 1.65 V then +0.3 V is around 1.9V...so it's still safe i guess but Crashman said he witnessed 2.0 and above and it's still safe. I need to cool my chipset too?is it the intel 440BX chispet?
  31. up!
  32. well, overclockers do run it a 2 or more volts, but then you need a pretty good cooler to cool it down. You wont be needing that much, 1.8V is probably enough. It does however reduce the life of the processor.

I just checked out the PIIX4 Southbridge specs, the min value for PCI clock period is given to be 30 nS, that is 33.3 MHz frequency! The IDE specs dont clearly mention about any specific ratings, but usually its okay to overclock to about 10~15% and that comes to ~38 MHz. Higher than that has to be checked out by actually doing it. That is why I asked you to use a spare hard disk for experimenting with faster PCI settings. At other times you could use the regular hard disk and regular parameters to work on.

The chipset on the P2B is the Intel 440BX or specifically the 82443BX chip just in front of the processor. Its power consumption is just 1.0 W, but overclocking it will increase it so a chipset cooler might come in handy. The IDE and other stuff is handled by the PIIX4 Southbridge - the 82371EB chip sitting near the PCI slots, it doesnt need any cooling though.

girish

33. nice way to get the post up!
    and increase the post count!!

34. Like I said in that other thread, if you're concerned about doing things the official way instead of the tweakers way, I'll sell you an Asus CUSL2. In fact I'll trade it for your P2B plus $15 for my effort, plus $5 shipping. The Asus CUSL2 has 4x AGP and it's i815 chipset was designed for use with a 133MHz FSB, plus all the settings are available in BIOS so you can't screw up with jumpers (unless you choose to use jumpers instead of BIOS). It has everything you want for your adventure.

Back to you Tom...
  35. this post will help a total newbie with no experience of overclocking hahahhaa...
  36. another question here which is VERy different from the rest.
    if i oc from 700@933, how about the thermal compound.
    must i buy ARtic Silver, use the one provided by Intel or the cooler's thermal compound?
  37. in fact, i found the intel stuff too much. i got better results when i wiped the compound off! a couple of degrees cooler!!

maybe it was a fluke, but you could remove some from the intel heatsinks. but if you are overclocking go for a better cooler.

38. Updating the bios will, depending on the flash, manufacturer, and other such things...

1. Enable features in hardware that are software driven (the Asus K7V had a bios update than enabled ATA100)
    2. Increase stability by corecting any bios related issues.
    3. Add functionality to the bios.
    4. Allow the Computer to recognize newer processors correctly.

There are other things, but these are the 4 I can think of off the top of my head.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
    Bill Gates nipping at your wallet
  39. Are there any other slot adapters that allow you to regulate voltage? I can't find the one you are talking about, and they seem to be a fleeting item.

BTW, someone was asking me if the PIII Slot 1 would work. It unfortunately did not, as my motherboard did not detect it as a CPU.

40. I believe Abit, Iwill, Asus, and MSI make versions that will alter detected voltage. All are hard to find. Most of these companies also make models that don't, so you have to be selective.

Now, as to why a Slot 1 PEE THREE might not have been bootable:

It may not have been inserted all the way.

It may have overheated during boot if it didn't have a heatsink

You need the latest BIOS to support Copermine processor's microcode, you must install that using an earlier processor.

Your computer may have refused to boot because it detected a voltage below what it could provide. If you had been using an adjustable Slotket settup you could have simply raised the detected voltage.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
  41. It was inserter properly, it's the retail version, so the fan was on it already, and to my knowledge, it had the most up to date bios. I will check again. It could be the voltage problem. I tried booting it up without a CPU, and it did the same thing. Keyboards lights flashed, and no video.

I found a bunch on E-bay, and the Asus version still seems to be available if you search hard. Thanks for the input.

42. Definately not the bios, so it must be a voltage problem.

So, that leaves me with this...

Is it worth upgrading the processor on my P2B Motherboard?
    I currently have a

PII 300 and 100 FSB
    384 MB PC133 Ram
    Riva TNT

On the system, I'm running Windows 2k, and was planing on using it to route internet, perhaps e-mail, and other stuff when I get my high speed connection. No games or anything. Should I even bother to upgrade the system? If I do, what can I do for about $150 tops? Should I go the PIII route? Or drop the MB and go the Athlon route?

43. I'll give you my standard $30 offer for your motherboard. What's the revision?

44. No clue, it was one of the first ones out though. How would I check that? I've got the box around here somewhere.

$30 for the Board, interesting, but that still doesn't answer my question as to weather I should upgrade. At the moment, I'm thinking that it's not worth it till I actualy move. Might be nice to save up the money though.

45. It's written on the board. I recommend the processor upgrade simply because I like the BX chipset.

46. u put a PIII slot 1 on the P2B?Might as well get an adapter/slotket with onboard voltage control and put a PIII COPPERMInE on it but you have to flash your BIOS in order for it to be recognized properly. To check the revision, when you POST, look at the line of text just below the logo of AWARD..it will say REV 10XX, check urs..
  47. Bios is flashed with revision 1012. I'll try to get an adapter, and maybe wait for the CPU price to fall for a bit. The adapters are getting harder and harder to come by.

48. FYI:

I run dual PIII-800E cB0 SECC2 chips in a P2B-D at 112FSB.

A P2B rev 1.02->1.11+ (I think 1.11 was the last revision) will support both 100/133 FSB chips but you MUST use a slocket. Recommended voltage is 1.80 for both cB0 and cC0 steppings, I am unsure about cD0 steppings but 1.75 would probably work.

- JW
  49. but running a PIII slot 1 should be possible with REV 1012 right?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Celeron Motherboards