I have installed Windows 7 64, upgrading from XP 64. I have three HDs. HD.01 is partitioned in two with HD.01a being the system drive where I installed Win7. The rest of the HDs still have a huge amount of data on them from the XP days.
My problem started once I started messing with the Libraries and changing things around in there.
The first thing I noticed was that Itunes would all of the sudden just freeze. In trying to uncover the Itunes problem I discovered the following:
1. All my data is on HD.01b / HD.02 / HD.03 - All WD Caviar 640G 7200
2. Itunes has a library built from music on HD.03
3. Sometimes when I would restart Itunes and access a song I could hear Win actually access the HardDrive as if if were somehow asleep or something - it would suddenly start spinning loudly then go back to normal.
4. So then my ears were on alert and yes, now when I use other programs - or simply use Explorer after a period of time - I can hear Win bringing that HD online as if it's suddenly waking up and realizing there's a HD there.
5. After completely clearing out all apple prefs and the library, I started with a fresh Itunes and imported one album from HD.03 and sure enough it freezes during a song which makes me think the HD is going offline somehow.
So now I'm wondering whether it's an Itunes thing or a Win7 thing with drive access.
Is this somehow tied to the indexing feature within the Libraries thing? It's driving me crazy.
I don' t have time or space to clean these HD's off, defrag and all that, but if that's what I have to do I will do it. But before I invest time I just want to be clear about what the problem is so any advice appreciated.