What cpu temp should I be at?

G

My freind and i put A athon t-bird 1.4 together but the system locks up alot. The cpu temp is 140 f just wondering if this is why its locking up. SO is 140 to hot?

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
140°F = 60°C (for future reference, go by Celsius)

Anyways, that's pretty hot. But, that might not be the only reason why it's locking up. What's your system setup like (especially motherboard and HSF)? Did you install the OS from scratch? Did you install the proper drivers? Do you have any case fans going?

Give as much information you can, but that's what I can think of right now...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=13406" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
140F (60C) is probably too hot if it's crashing. Most of us here use Cescius btw, so if the numbers seem out of wack, try converting.

Make sure you have the heat sink properly attached. If need be, get some thermal paste. If that doesn't work, perhaps you need either a different heat sink, or an additional case fan.

Is he overclocking the processor?

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
What are the case temps? Is there good air flowing over the heatsink fan? Is the fan mounted to blow air down on the heatsink or is it in a 'sucking' postion. There are many, many other factors that can result in "high" temps. Just posting a message saying "My friends cpu temp is this, is it hot" is very inadequate information.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

G

Where may i be able to download a program that checks the temp of the cpu ?

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
It's called your bios. Motherboard Monitor, Sisoft Sandra. Try doing a google search on Cpu Temperature monitor, or CPU monitor. Try using your own brain for a change.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
<A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/" target="_new"> Motherboard Monitor </A>

Yay! :smile:

And yes, the 60oC+ range is where you can expect heat crashes, lockups, and such.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue: