Your question

Router Recommendation?

Tags:
  • Internet Access
  • Routers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
January 30, 2002 8:53:59 PM

After 5 months without internet access, I finally have DSL, again. This time I have a roommate and eventually want to set up a web and email server. There are a number of options available to me, and I welcome any comments on that, but from what I can tell, my best move is to get a DSL router. If anyone has worked with multiple brands/models, I would appreciate a recommendation. I've heard good things about Linksys products, but not about their tech support. Since I haven't seen anything here at THG, I went to Cnet to compare. Their editor's pick is a model from Asanté, which they chose over both Linksys and Netgear. Thanks in advance for your comments and recommendations.

Kenny Anderson

More about : router recommendation

January 30, 2002 11:02:17 PM

I use the D-Link 704 and I'm satisfied with it .. I suggest you fo to www.dslreports.com .. register as you did here to use the forums and look at the networking hardware section and maybe post questions there .. in general the linksys is preferred but the d-link, netgear and smc units are nice too

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>
January 31, 2002 12:14:11 AM

How can you run a server behind a Router since the server will only have an Internal IP? Since you going to have a server how about just using Internet Connection and sharing. You will only need a hub which is a lot cheaper.
Related resources
January 31, 2002 8:01:09 AM

And that will only work if you've got a static IP - if it's dynamic you'll also run into problems.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
January 31, 2002 4:12:30 PM

you can run a server behind a router by forwarding the appropriate ports eg port 21 for an ftp server 25 for an smtp server etc.. the computer has a static ip assigned to it it is the router that does NAT and the dhcp
lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>
!