Win2k Hard Disk Drive Detection Problem!! HELP!

G

Hey everyone, thanks for looking at my post. My initial problem was when I started my computer, it would freeze on the black screen when the "Starting Windows 2000" bar at the bottom of the screen would get 1/4 of the way across. I tried to boot in safe mode as well as all the other options that are shown when you press F8 but the same thing happens all the time.

I tried disconnecting all of the unecessary hardware and I've tried dissabling DMA mode but no luck. I used a NTFS DOS boot disk and can get around on my hard drive but win2k won't detect my hard disk as you will see beneath.

I have come to the point where I tried to repair and re-install win2k but when I use my win2k boot disks and I'm prompted to choose between repair or install, they both lead this this message:

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in yur computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, press F3"

My computer started freezing up for no reason, I hadn't installed any new hardware or software. I checked all my connections to and from the motherboard and everything checks out ok. My computer has been down for 2 weeks now and this board is my last hope... Here's what I'm running:

-Asus A7v Mobo
-800 mhz Thunderbird
-128mb Micron ram
-ATI radeon 64mb VIVO
-3com 905 network card
-soundblaster live! value
-45GB IBM DESKSTAR 75GXP

Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rsauve on 02/14/01 06:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I believe that if you are connecting the hard drive to the UDMA100 Promise controller that is built into the A7V motherboard you need to install the Promise Win2K drivers before you install the OS. You'll find it on the Promise web site I think and you'll need to put it on a floppy disk before you install the OS. If you go to www.amdzone.com
there is a whole article on how to do this step by step.
good luck
Dom :)

doczenith1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Alt. #1: Hook your hd up to the ata66 controller and win2k should boot. Then d/l all neccesary drivers for your ata100 controller and itstall them. Power down, switch the hd and start up win2k.

Alt #2: I currently have my ata100 drive running in ata66 mode and all is well. Performance is only slightly lower as todays drives can only reach 33mb/s sustained read so the ata66 controller will be fine. It's only when data is read from the cache that ata100 benefits.

G

I tried using the F6 option in the Win2k setup process and put in a disk contain the ultra promise drivers put it came back with a message saying "Setup did not find any relevant support files".

I tried going to the IBM site to see if I can get drivers for this SCSI/RAID thingamagiggy but none of the files contain the txtsetup.oem file that the setup process needs.

My computer has been down for 2 1/2 weeks now, hahaha. I looked all throughout the boards and can't figure it out, help me!!! ahh! hahaha. I don't want to pay some computer tech guy $$$ to fix it, I'm too poor

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rsauve on 02/14/01 06:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>