Sign in with
Your question

How do you change the format of a goflex network storage drive

Last response: in Mac Os X
May 3, 2011 9:55:56 AM

I have a goflex netword 1t drive and I wanted to configure it to be specific to macs. - lots of reasons, but I do not know how to do it.
a b G Storage
May 3, 2011 10:16:04 AM

The format of a networked drive doesn't matter as far as the client is concerned. There should be no need to change it.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 3, 2011 10:31:28 PM

FAT32 is compatible with Macs and Windows PC's.
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2011 2:51:05 AM

Although the file system on an external HDD doesn't really matter, here you go:
Applications >> Utilities >> Disk Utility... select the CORECT external drive and format away... (all data on that drive will be gone)
m
l
May 4, 2011 4:05:48 AM

Fun fact: Its 2011 and Macs can read and write to NTFS fileystems.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 4, 2011 11:50:11 AM

As I understand the OP he is talking about a networked hard drive, not an external one. The client doesn't know what file system is used on the server's hard drive, they just know how it is networked (Samba, NTFS, whatever).
m
l
May 4, 2011 12:40:42 PM

Ijack said:
As I understand the OP he is talking about a networked hard drive, not an external one. The client doesn't know what file system is used on the server's hard drive, they just know how it is networked (Samba, NTFS, whatever).

Sorry... after rereading the OP's question it appears that you are right. The drive needs to be locally attached in order to format. If this is a NAS you can't use Mac OS X file system as the vast majority of them use Linux OS.
m
l
!