Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Searching: Calendar Creation Software

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 1:11:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

I'm looking for a Calendar creation software application that will
allow me to customize months to have any number of days that I want. I
can create the colander using other software I have but I want
something that might actually look like a professional calendar for my
campaign world. Any suggestions?

Basics of Calendar (Highfern Standard): Each month is exactly 28 days
long, there are 12 months, and each day of the week has a unique name.

Basics of Calendar 2 (Meadowwilde Standard) THe months are based upon
the twin lunar cycle. The second moon of Shartis only appears in the
sky once every 29-31 days and is only visible in Meadowwild due to the
magical nature of this area in my world. The moon itself phases out of
the astral plane and back into Shartis during that single day. This
will play an important part in my world later on. A new month begins
the day after the moon appears and ends the day of the appearance.

Any software that is a calendar created would definitely help me. If I
can't locate something like this I'll moved toward creating it myself
using whatever I have at hand.

I figured someone might be using some kind of software in this group,
so rather than searching for hours to find something I thought I'd ask
first. If I do search and find anything I will post a link here for
anybody else that might need.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 1:11:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Decaying Atheist wrote:


> Any software that is a calendar created would definitely help me. If
I
> can't locate something like this I'll moved toward creating it myself

> using whatever I have at hand.
>
> I figured someone might be using some kind of software in this group,

> so rather than searching for hours to find something I thought I'd
ask
> first. If I do search and find anything I will post a link here for
> anybody else that might need.

Yes, please do. I use PageMaker a lot for work, so I've been using the
clunky script in that program to generate blank calendars, which I
then fill in manually. Since my campaign world has five moons with a
heavy emphasis on lycanthropy and "lunar" magic, tracking the phases of
each one is nothing short of masochism.

Of course, the script doesn't allow me to determine the number of days
in the month, length of weeks, etc.; I have to pick a year and live
with the results.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro
April 27, 2005 1:11:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:11:01 -0400, "Decaying Atheist"
<harker@coxdot.net> raised a finger to the sky and proclaimed:

>I'm looking for a Calendar creation software application that will
>allow me to customize months to have any number of days that I want. I
>can create the colander using other software I have but I want
>something that might actually look like a professional calendar for my
>campaign world. Any suggestions?

http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html is just the thing for you

--
Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
- Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd
Related resources
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 7:26:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

<madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:1114611159.717183.316880@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>
> Decaying Atheist wrote:
>
>
> > Any software that is a calendar created would definitely help me. If
> I
> > can't locate something like this I'll moved toward creating it myself
>
> > using whatever I have at hand.
> >
> > I figured someone might be using some kind of software in this group,
>
> > so rather than searching for hours to find something I thought I'd
> ask
> > first. If I do search and find anything I will post a link here for
> > anybody else that might need.
>
> Yes, please do. I use PageMaker a lot for work, so I've been using the
> clunky script in that program to generate blank calendars, which I
> then fill in manually. Since my campaign world has five moons with a
> heavy emphasis on lycanthropy and "lunar" magic, tracking the phases of
> each one is nothing short of masochism.
>
> Of course, the script doesn't allow me to determine the number of days
> in the month, length of weeks, etc.; I have to pick a year and live
> with the results.

Seems like a fairly easy thing to generate in a spreadsheet to be honest.
Why not have a try instead of doing things <shudder> manually?
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 7:28:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Mouse" <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:k7cv611t2579vhbd9e5tfv1lj34cv3k0cf@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:11:01 -0400, "Decaying Atheist"
> <harker@coxdot.net> raised a finger to the sky and proclaimed:
>
>>I'm looking for a Calendar creation software application that will
>>allow me to customize months to have any number of days that I want.
>>I
>>can create the colander using other software I have but I want
>>something that might actually look like a professional calendar for
>>my
>>campaign world. Any suggestions?
>
> http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html is just the thing for you
>
> --
> Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
> - Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd

Mouse you were dead on target for this one. Thank you.

I'll mess with it when I get home tonight.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:09:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Decaying Atheist wrote:
> "Mouse" <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:k7cv611t2579vhbd9e5tfv1lj34cv3k0cf@4ax.com...


> > http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html is just the thing for you

>
> Mouse you were dead on target for this one. Thank you.

I'll second that. It even allows for multiple moons. Well done!

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 11:08:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Symbol wrote:
> <madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:1114654179.798164.21420@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > Decaying Atheist wrote:
> > > "Mouse" <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote in message
> > > news:k7cv611t2579vhbd9e5tfv1lj34cv3k0cf@4ax.com...
> >
> > > > http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html is just the thing for you
> > >
> > > Mouse you were dead on target for this one. Thank you.
> >
> > I'll second that. It even allows for multiple moons. Well done!
>
> But only one sun, no intercalary days and all months have the same
number
> of days. You couldn't reproduce any of Earth's calendars with that
> software.

Even so, it's still an improvement over doing my calendars by hand. I
don't need much more than a basic calendar system anyway; the moon
phases are what really sold me.

If I had to pick a nit, it's that the software allows for a maximum of
four moons, and I have five to work with. There are ways around that,
though.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:47:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

<madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:1114654179.798164.21420@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> Decaying Atheist wrote:
> > "Mouse" <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote in message
> > news:k7cv611t2579vhbd9e5tfv1lj34cv3k0cf@4ax.com...
>
>
> > > http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html is just the thing for you
>
> >
> > Mouse you were dead on target for this one. Thank you.
>
> I'll second that. It even allows for multiple moons. Well done!

But only one sun, no intercalary days and all months have the same number
of days. You couldn't reproduce any of Earth's calendars with that
software.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:47:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Symbol" <jb70@talk21.com> wrote:
] But only one sun, no intercalary days and all months have the same number
] of days. You couldn't reproduce any of Earth's calendars with that
] software.

And it doesn't allow for non-calendar month Festival Days either. My
game calendar 3 days summer solstice and 3 days for winter solstice
that are between the calendar's months, not a part of the months. Ah
well.

JimP.
--
http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
http://dice.drivein-jim.net/ my dice collection Feb 10, 2005
http://www.drivein-jim.net/ Apr 28, 2005: Drive-In movie theatres
http://poetry.drivein-jim.net/ poetry blog March 12, 2005
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 6:19:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Symbol" <jb70@talk21.com> wrote in message
news:T7udnQBN05TlP-3fRVnyrg@pipex.net...
>
> <madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:1114611159.717183.316880@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> Decaying Atheist wrote:
>>
>>
>> > Any software that is a calendar created would definitely help me.
>> > If
>> I
>> > can't locate something like this I'll moved toward creating it
>> > myself
>>
>> > using whatever I have at hand.
>> >
>> > I figured someone might be using some kind of software in this
>> > group,
>>
>> > so rather than searching for hours to find something I thought
>> > I'd
>> ask
>> > first. If I do search and find anything I will post a link here
>> > for
>> > anybody else that might need.
>>
>> Yes, please do. I use PageMaker a lot for work, so I've been using
>> the
>> clunky script in that program to generate blank calendars, which I
>> then fill in manually. Since my campaign world has five moons with
>> a
>> heavy emphasis on lycanthropy and "lunar" magic, tracking the
>> phases of
>> each one is nothing short of masochism.
>>
>> Of course, the script doesn't allow me to determine the number of
>> days
>> in the month, length of weeks, etc.; I have to pick a year and live
>> with the results.
>
> Seems like a fairly easy thing to generate in a spreadsheet to be
> honest.
> Why not have a try instead of doing things <shudder> manually?

The spreadsheet is fine and dandy but doesn't have that real calender
look. I want to be able to hang it up when my players get together so
they can visually see
the time they are spending progress. I think if I tweak a spreadsheet
enough I might be able to get the desired look but fear that it'll
look just wrong somehow (Don't know how, just wrong on some level, and
it would irk me)
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 6:21:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Symbol" <jb70@talk21.com> wrote in message
news:-dWdnaKt6JuyPu3fRVnyug@pipex.net...
>
> <madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:1114654179.798164.21420@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> Decaying Atheist wrote:
>> > "Mouse" <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> > news:k7cv611t2579vhbd9e5tfv1lj34cv3k0cf@4ax.com...
>>
>>
>> > > http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html is just the thing for you
>>
>> >
>> > Mouse you were dead on target for this one. Thank you.
>>
>> I'll second that. It even allows for multiple moons. Well done!
>
> But only one sun, no intercalary days and all months have the same
> number
> of days. You couldn't reproduce any of Earth's calendars with that
> software.

That might be true but I wanted my calendar to be different from
earth, because the way I described the seaons, months,
etc to players is different. Perhaps in the end, working from an Earth
Calendar to begin with might give players an easier
chance to adapt to the settings time frames.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 6:23:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"D.J." <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in message
news:vte1715gmsgm9jcap4qaai86pkkj198g3e@4ax.com...
>
> "Symbol" <jb70@talk21.com> wrote:
> ] But only one sun, no intercalary days and all months have the same
> number
> ] of days. You couldn't reproduce any of Earth's calendars with that
> ] software.
>
> And it doesn't allow for non-calendar month Festival Days either. My
> game calendar 3 days summer solstice and 3 days for winter solstice
> that are between the calendar's months, not a part of the months. Ah
> well.
>
> JimP.
> --
> http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
> http://dice.drivein-jim.net/ my dice collection Feb 10, 2005
> http://www.drivein-jim.net/ Apr 28, 2005: Drive-In movie theatres
> http://poetry.drivein-jim.net/ poetry blog March 12, 2005

Interesting issues to consider. I always wondered why most people that
include holidays or sorts or Festival Days
never seem to include them in the regular months. They all seem to be
extensions of the months but never
included. Just interesting, and not attempting to disagree with the
practice.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 7:20:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Decaying Atheist" <harker@coxdot.net> wrote:
] "D.J." <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in message
] news:vte1715gmsgm9jcap4qaai86pkkj198g3e@4ax.com...
] > And it doesn't allow for non-calendar month Festival Days either. My
] > game calendar 3 days summer solstice and 3 days for winter solstice
] > that are between the calendar's months, not a part of the months. Ah
] > well.
] Interesting issues to consider. I always wondered why most people that
] include holidays or sorts or Festival Days
] never seem to include them in the regular months. They all seem to be

I loosely based my campaign calendar on the one used in LoTR. It has
6 months of 30 days, 3 day mid-summer festival, 6 months of 30 days,
and a mid-winter festival of 3 days.

I just thought it was an interesting calendar, and after working on
one off and on for a couple of weeks, I decided to go with one
already in existance.

I added a second moon, and wrote a quick AmigaBASIC program to
calculate sun rise, sun set, and moon rise and set times for the two
mooons. I forget the exact formula, but I went with exact times so I
wouldn't have to worry about lunar months and solarm onths getting
out of sync. No idea what I did with that program, but the other
ones I wrote are up on my crestar web site in my .sig.

JimP.
--
djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
http://poetry.drivein-jim.net/ Poetry blog March 12, 2005
http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html AD&D April 28, 2005
http://evergame.drivein-jim.net/blog/ Everquest April 28, 2005
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 7:21:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Decaying Atheist" <harker@coxdot.net> wrote:
] etc to players is different. Perhaps in the end, working from an Earth
] Calendar to begin with might give players an easier
] chance to adapt to the settings time frames.

I had a similar confusion factor in that my players kept thinking
they characters were on a parallel Earth. So I put the campaign in
the southern hemisphere, with South at the top of the map to give it
an 'other worldly' feel.

JimP.
--
djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
http://poetry.drivein-jim.net/ Poetry blog March 12, 2005
http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html AD&D April 28, 2005
http://evergame.drivein-jim.net/blog/ Everquest April 28, 2005
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 7:58:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Regarding http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html, Symbol wrote:
> But only one sun, no intercalary days and all months have the same
> number of days. You couldn't reproduce any of Earth's calendars with
> that software.

Months need not have the same number of days. Just enter all of the
lengths in the box. For example, you can specify the Gregorian calendar
(sans leap days) as 31 28 31 30 31 30 31 31 30 31 30 31. There's no way
to specify leap days that I could see, unfortunately, nor other kinds of
calendars that don't line up with a solar year.

D.J <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote:
> And it doesn't allow for non-calendar month Festival Days either. My
> game calendar 3 days summer solstice and 3 days for winter solstice
> that are between the calendar's months, not a part of the months. Ah
> well.

Just enter those as additional "months," with the appropriate number of
days, and name them appropriately.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 7:58:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote in message
news:slrnd72215.gt1.bradd+news@szonye.com...
> Regarding http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html, Symbol wrote:
>> But only one sun, no intercalary days and all months have the same
>> number of days. You couldn't reproduce any of Earth's calendars
>> with
>> that software.
>
> Months need not have the same number of days. Just enter all of the
> lengths in the box. For example, you can specify the Gregorian
> calendar
> (sans leap days) as 31 28 31 30 31 30 31 31 30 31 30 31. There's no
> way
> to specify leap days that I could see, unfortunately, nor other
> kinds of
> calendars that don't line up with a solar year.

Do many campaigns use leap days as far as you know? Would their use be
to try to
keep the calendar sync'ed up with some astrological events? Or would
the standard leap
day rules apply as they do within our system of time keeping?
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 8:06:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Symbol <jb70@talk21.com> wrote:
><madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Decaying Atheist wrote:
>>> "Mouse" <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>>> http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html is just the thing for you

>>> Mouse you were dead on target for this one. Thank you.
>>
>> I'll second that. It even allows for multiple moons. Well done!

>But only one sun,

How would you want this implemented, out of curiosity? I'm presuming
you're after either some sort of sunrise/sunset timer (which depends on
lattitude, as well as season, so I'm not precisely certain how that'd
fit in with a generic calendar app.), or a multi-star/multi-moon eclipse
generator.

> no intercalary days and all months have the same number of days.

Well, you can kinda fake the former because the latter isn't true. You
can enter multiple items in the "days per month" field. For instance,
"31 28 31 30 31 30 31 31 30 31 30 31" should, if I haven't botched, allow
you to produce the calendar for this year (with the other appropriate
settings on the second page).

The flaw with creating a one-day month is, naturally, that the day counts
as part of the week. It shouldn't be too hard for them to add such a
feature, however, some sort of "number of special days" selection on the
first page (0-15 should be adequate), then some method of defining them
on the second. I think I'll write them a suggestion.

> You couldn't reproduce any of Earth's calendars with that software.

I dunno. The moon might be off (haven't tried fractional days), and
the seasons are pretty generic, so they probably wouldn't be locally
accurate, but you could at least get a listing for 2005 that had all
the days right.

--
--DcB
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 8:06:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Mere moments before death, Decaying Atheist hastily scrawled:
>
>"Mouse" <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote in message
>news:k7cv611t2579vhbd9e5tfv1lj34cv3k0cf@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:11:01 -0400, "Decaying Atheist"
>> <harker@coxdot.net> raised a finger to the sky and proclaimed:
>>
>>>I'm looking for a Calendar creation software application that will
>>>allow me to customize months to have any number of days that I want.
>>>I
>>>can create the colander using other software I have but I want
>>>something that might actually look like a professional calendar for
>>>my
>>>campaign world. Any suggestions?
>>
>> http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html is just the thing for you
>>
>> --
>> Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
>> - Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd
>
>Mouse you were dead on target for this one. Thank you.
>
>I'll mess with it when I get home tonight.

The acid test for me is a calendar creator that can handle the
Imperial Calendar from WFRP as defined in The Enemy Within.

The year is 400 days long.

There are 8 days in a week.

There are 12 months, all but one (Nachexen, the first month, which is
32) are 33 days long.

There are also 6 days that fall between months and do not have a
normal weekday name. As if Christmas was between December and
January, and if the day before were a Thursday, the day after would be
a Friday.

Oh, and there are 2 moons, one of which has an irregular cycle.


I could fake the cycle of Morrslieb, but I've yet to find a calendar
creator that can handle the special days.



Ed Chauvin IV

--
DISCLAIMER : WARNING: RULE # 196 is X-rated in that to calculate L,
use X = [(C2/10)^2], and RULE # 193 which is NOT meant to be read by
kids, since RULE # 187 EXPLAINS homosexuality mathematically, using
modifier G @ 11.

"I always feel left out when someone *else* gets killfiled."
--Terry Austin
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 6:55:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Dave Butler" <ci915@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message
news:o s-dnRsSMqvWzezfRVn-oQ@rogers.com...
> Symbol <jb70@talk21.com> wrote:
> ><madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> >> Decaying Atheist wrote:
> >>> "Mouse" <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote in message
> >>
> >>>> http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html is just the thing for you
>
> >>> Mouse you were dead on target for this one. Thank you.
> >>
> >> I'll second that. It even allows for multiple moons. Well done!
>
> >But only one sun,
>
> How would you want this implemented, out of curiosity? I'm presuming
> you're after either some sort of sunrise/sunset timer (which depends on
> lattitude, as well as season, so I'm not precisely certain how that'd
> fit in with a generic calendar app.), or a multi-star/multi-moon eclipse
> generator.

I'm not sure because I'm not really sure how orbitting planets work in
real binary systems. I suspect orbital patterns would be significantly
different.

> > no intercalary days and all months have the same number of days.
>
> Well, you can kinda fake the former because the latter isn't true.

Right. Didn't look close enough apparently.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 1:20:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In <jJidnfDDlcWeHurfRVnyug@pipex.net> "Symbol" <jb70@talk21.com> writes:


>"Dave Butler" <ci915@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message
>news:o s-dnRsSMqvWzezfRVn-oQ@rogers.com...
>> Symbol <jb70@talk21.com> wrote:
>> ><madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> >> Decaying Atheist wrote:
>> >>> "Mouse" <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> >>
>> >>>> http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html is just the thing for you
>>
>> >>> Mouse you were dead on target for this one. Thank you.
>> >>
>> >> I'll second that. It even allows for multiple moons. Well done!
>>
>> >But only one sun,
>>
>> How would you want this implemented, out of curiosity? I'm presuming
>> you're after either some sort of sunrise/sunset timer (which depends on
>> lattitude, as well as season, so I'm not precisely certain how that'd
>> fit in with a generic calendar app.), or a multi-star/multi-moon eclipse
>> generator.

>I'm not sure because I'm not really sure how orbitting planets work in
>real binary systems. I suspect orbital patterns would be significantly
>different.

IIRC the easy (AKA boring) ones are:

1) orbits around one or other of the stars at distances significantly
less than the star-star distance. (make the star-star orbit highly
eliptical and you can get something similar to Aldiss's
Helliconia)

2) orbits around both stars at distances significantly greater than
the star-star distance. (The suns will always appear close
together in the sky, and probably will be little different to one
oddly shaped one)

3) trojan point planets - the stars and the planet sit on the corners
of an equilateral triangle.

I'm not sure if there are any more interesting stable orbits.

>> > no intercalary days and all months have the same number of days.
>>
>> Well, you can kinda fake the former because the latter isn't true.

>Right. Didn't look close enough apparently.


--
Remove any bits of tatt after the at in my address to reply
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 1:24:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Phil Turner" <phil.turner@bltuaeyontdetr.co.uk> wrote in message
news:BWRde.24549$G8.825@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> In <jJidnfDDlcWeHurfRVnyug@pipex.net> "Symbol" <jb70@talk21.com> writes:
>
>
> >"Dave Butler" <ci915@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message
> >news:o s-dnRsSMqvWzezfRVn-oQ@rogers.com...
> >> Symbol <jb70@talk21.com> wrote:
> >> ><madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> >> >> Decaying Atheist wrote:
> >> >>> "Mouse" <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote in message
> >> >>
> >> >>>> http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html is just the thing for you
> >>
> >> >>> Mouse you were dead on target for this one. Thank you.
> >> >>
> >> >> I'll second that. It even allows for multiple moons. Well done!
> >>
> >> >But only one sun,
> >>
> >> How would you want this implemented, out of curiosity? I'm presuming
> >> you're after either some sort of sunrise/sunset timer (which depends
on
> >> lattitude, as well as season, so I'm not precisely certain how that'd
> >> fit in with a generic calendar app.), or a multi-star/multi-moon
eclipse
> >> generator.
>
> >I'm not sure because I'm not really sure how orbitting planets work in
> >real binary systems. I suspect orbital patterns would be significantly
> >different.
>
> IIRC the easy (AKA boring) ones are:
>
> 1) orbits around one or other of the stars at distances significantly
> less than the star-star distance. (make the star-star orbit highly
> eliptical and you can get something similar to Aldiss's
> Helliconia)
>
> 2) orbits around both stars at distances significantly greater than
> the star-star distance. (The suns will always appear close
> together in the sky, and probably will be little different to one
> oddly shaped one)
>
> 3) trojan point planets - the stars and the planet sit on the corners
> of an equilateral triangle.
>
> I'm not sure if there are any more interesting stable orbits.

See that's already way beyond my amateur understanding of astronomical
physics. I guess I would be more interested in creating "cool" Stargate
SG1 type effects like the planet that had a climate similar to Earth's
until the second sun came up...
!