Searching: Calendar Creation Software

I'm looking for a Calendar creation software application that will
allow me to customize months to have any number of days that I want. I
can create the colander using other software I have but I want
something that might actually look like a professional calendar for my
campaign world. Any suggestions?

Basics of Calendar (Highfern Standard): Each month is exactly 28 days
long, there are 12 months, and each day of the week has a unique name.

Basics of Calendar 2 (Meadowwilde Standard) THe months are based upon
the twin lunar cycle. The second moon of Shartis only appears in the
sky once every 29-31 days and is only visible in Meadowwild due to the
magical nature of this area in my world. The moon itself phases out of
the astral plane and back into Shartis during that single day. This
will play an important part in my world later on. A new month begins
the day after the moon appears and ends the day of the appearance.

Any software that is a calendar created would definitely help me. If I
can't locate something like this I'll moved toward creating it myself
using whatever I have at hand.

I figured someone might be using some kind of software in this group,
so rather than searching for hours to find something I thought I'd ask
first. If I do search and find anything I will post a link here for
anybody else that might need.
20 answers Last reply
More about searching calendar creation software

    Decaying Atheist wrote:

    > Any software that is a calendar created would definitely help me. If
    > can't locate something like this I'll moved toward creating it myself

    > using whatever I have at hand.
    >
    > I figured someone might be using some kind of software in this group,

    > so rather than searching for hours to find something I thought I'd
    ask
    > first. If I do search and find anything I will post a link here for
    > anybody else that might need.

    Yes, please do. I use PageMaker a lot for work, so I've been using the
    clunky script in that program to generate blank calendars, which I
    then fill in manually. Since my campaign world has five moons with a
    heavy emphasis on lycanthropy and "lunar" magic, tracking the phases of
    each one is nothing short of masochism.

    Of course, the script doesn't allow me to determine the number of days
    in the month, length of weeks, etc.; I have to pick a year and live
    with the results.

    --
    Jay Knioum
    The Mad Afro

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:11:01 -0400, "Decaying Atheist"
    <harker@coxdot.net> raised a finger to the sky and proclaimed:

    http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html is just the thing for you

    --
    Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
    - Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd

    <madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > Decaying Atheist wrote:
    >

    > > Any software that is a calendar created would definitely help me. If
    > > can't locate something like this I'll moved toward creating it myself
    >
    > > using whatever I have at hand.
    > >
    > > I figured someone might be using some kind of software in this group,
    >
    > > so rather than searching for hours to find something I thought I'd
    > ask
    > > first. If I do search and find anything I will post a link here for
    > > anybody else that might need.
    >
    > Yes, please do. I use PageMaker a lot for work, so I've been using the
    > clunky script in that program to generate blank calendars, which I
    > then fill in manually. Since my campaign world has five moons with a
    > heavy emphasis on lycanthropy and "lunar" magic, tracking the phases of
    > each one is nothing short of masochism.
    >
    > Of course, the script doesn't allow me to determine the number of days
    > in the month, length of weeks, etc.; I have to pick a year and live
    > with the results.

    Seems like a fairly easy thing to generate in a spreadsheet to be honest.
    Why not have a try instead of doing things <shudder> manually?

    "Mouse" <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:11:01 -0400, "Decaying Atheist"
    > <harker@coxdot.net> raised a finger to the sky and proclaimed:
    >
    >>I'm looking for a Calendar creation software application that will
    >>allow me to customize months to have any number of days that I want.
    >>can create the colander using other software I have but I want
    >>something that might actually look like a professional calendar for
    >>my
    >>campaign world. Any suggestions?
    >
    > http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html is just the thing for you
    >
    > --
    > Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
    > - Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd

    Mouse you were dead on target for this one. Thank you.

    I'll mess with it when I get home tonight.

    Decaying Atheist wrote:
    > "Mouse" <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote in message

    > > http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html is just the thing for you

    > Mouse you were dead on target for this one. Thank you.

    I'll second that. It even allows for multiple moons. Well done!

    --
    Jay Knioum
    The Mad Afro

    Symbol wrote:
    > <madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > Decaying Atheist wrote:
    > > > "Mouse" <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote in message

    > > > Mouse you were dead on target for this one. Thank you.
    > >
    > > I'll second that. It even allows for multiple moons. Well done!
    >
    > But only one sun, no intercalary days and all months have the same
    number
    > of days. You couldn't reproduce any of Earth's calendars with that
    > software.

    Even so, it's still an improvement over doing my calendars by hand. I
    don't need much more than a basic calendar system anyway; the moon
    phases are what really sold me.

    If I had to pick a nit, it's that the software allows for a maximum of
    four moons, and I have five to work with. There are ways around that,
    though.

    --
    Jay Knioum
    The Mad Afro

    "Symbol" <jb70@talk21.com> wrote:
    ] But only one sun, no intercalary days and all months have the same number
    ] of days. You couldn't reproduce any of Earth's calendars with that
    ] software.

    And it doesn't allow for non-calendar month Festival Days either. My
    game calendar 3 days summer solstice and 3 days for winter solstice
    that are between the calendar's months, not a part of the months. Ah
    well.

    JimP.
    --
    http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
    http://dice.drivein-jim.net/ my dice collection Feb 10, 2005

    "Symbol" <jb70@talk21.com> wrote in message

    > <madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Decaying Atheist wrote:
    >>

    >> > Any software that is a calendar created would definitely help me.
    >> > If
    >> > can't locate something like this I'll moved toward creating it
    >> > myself
    >>
    >> > using whatever I have at hand.
    >> >
    >> > I figured someone might be using some kind of software in this
    >> > group,
    >>
    >> > so rather than searching for hours to find something I thought
    >> > I'd
    >> ask
    >> > first. If I do search and find anything I will post a link here
    >> > for
    >> > anybody else that might need.
    >>
    >> Yes, please do. I use PageMaker a lot for work, so I've been using
    >> the
    >> clunky script in that program to generate blank calendars, which I
    >> then fill in manually. Since my campaign world has five moons with
    >> heavy emphasis on lycanthropy and "lunar" magic, tracking the
    >> phases of
    >> each one is nothing short of masochism.
    >>
    >> Of course, the script doesn't allow me to determine the number of
    >> days
    >> in the month, length of weeks, etc.; I have to pick a year and live
    >> with the results.
    >
    > Seems like a fairly easy thing to generate in a spreadsheet to be
    > honest.
    > Why not have a try instead of doing things <shudder> manually?

    The spreadsheet is fine and dandy but doesn't have that real calender
    look. I want to be able to hang it up when my players get together so
    they can visually see
    the time they are spending progress. I think if I tweak a spreadsheet
    enough I might be able to get the desired look but fear that it'll
    look just wrong somehow (Don't know how, just wrong on some level, and
    it would irk me)

    > <madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Decaying Atheist wrote:
    >> > "Mouse" <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote in message

    >> > Mouse you were dead on target for this one. Thank you.
    >>
    >> I'll second that. It even allows for multiple moons. Well done!
    >
    > But only one sun, no intercalary days and all months have the same
    > number
    > of days. You couldn't reproduce any of Earth's calendars with that
    > software.

    That might be true but I wanted my calendar to be different from
    earth, because the way I described the seaons, months,
    etc to players is different. Perhaps in the end, working from an Earth
    Calendar to begin with might give players an easier
    chance to adapt to the settings time frames.

    "D.J." <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in message

    > "Symbol" <jb70@talk21.com> wrote:
    > ] But only one sun, no intercalary days and all months have the same
    > number
    > ] of days. You couldn't reproduce any of Earth's calendars with that
    > ] software.
    >
    > And it doesn't allow for non-calendar month Festival Days either. My
    > game calendar 3 days summer solstice and 3 days for winter solstice
    > that are between the calendar's months, not a part of the months. Ah
    > well.
    >
    > JimP.
    > --
    > http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
    > http://dice.drivein-jim.net/ my dice collection Feb 10, 2005
    > http://www.drivein-jim.net/ Apr 28, 2005: Drive-In movie theatres
    > http://poetry.drivein-jim.net/ poetry blog March 12, 2005

    Interesting issues to consider. I always wondered why most people that
    include holidays or sorts or Festival Days
    never seem to include them in the regular months. They all seem to be
    extensions of the months but never
    included. Just interesting, and not attempting to disagree with the
    practice.

    "Decaying Atheist" <harker@coxdot.net> wrote:
    ] "D.J." <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in message
    ] news:vte1715gmsgm9jcap4qaai86pkkj198g3e@4ax.com...
    ] > And it doesn't allow for non-calendar month Festival Days either. My
    ] > game calendar 3 days summer solstice and 3 days for winter solstice
    ] > that are between the calendar's months, not a part of the months. Ah
    ] > well.
    ] Interesting issues to consider. I always wondered why most people that
    ] include holidays or sorts or Festival Days
    ] never seem to include them in the regular months. They all seem to be

    I loosely based my campaign calendar on the one used in LoTR. It has
    6 months of 30 days, 3 day mid-summer festival, 6 months of 30 days,
    and a mid-winter festival of 3 days.

    I just thought it was an interesting calendar, and after working on
    one off and on for a couple of weeks, I decided to go with one
    already in existance.

    I added a second moon, and wrote a quick AmigaBASIC program to
    calculate sun rise, sun set, and moon rise and set times for the two
    mooons. I forget the exact formula, but I went with exact times so I
    wouldn't have to worry about lunar months and solarm onths getting
    out of sync. No idea what I did with that program, but the other
    ones I wrote are up on my crestar web site in my .sig.

    JimP.
    --
    djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
    http://poetry.drivein-jim.net/ Poetry blog March 12, 2005

    "Decaying Atheist" <harker@coxdot.net> wrote:
    ] etc to players is different. Perhaps in the end, working from an Earth
    ] Calendar to begin with might give players an easier
    ] chance to adapt to the settings time frames.

    I had a similar confusion factor in that my players kept thinking
    they characters were on a parallel Earth. So I put the campaign in
    the southern hemisphere, with South at the top of the map to give it
    an 'other worldly' feel.

    JimP.
    --

    Regarding http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html, Symbol wrote:
    > But only one sun, no intercalary days and all months have the same
    > number of days. You couldn't reproduce any of Earth's calendars with
    > that software.

    Months need not have the same number of days. Just enter all of the
    lengths in the box. For example, you can specify the Gregorian calendar
    (sans leap days) as 31 28 31 30 31 30 31 31 30 31 30 31. There's no way
    to specify leap days that I could see, unfortunately, nor other kinds of
    calendars that don't line up with a solar year.

    D.J <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote:
    > And it doesn't allow for non-calendar month Festival Days either. My
    > game calendar 3 days summer solstice and 3 days for winter solstice
    > that are between the calendar's months, not a part of the months. Ah
    > well.

    Just enter those as additional "months," with the appropriate number of
    days, and name them appropriately.
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote in message
    > Regarding http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html, Symbol wrote:
    >> But only one sun, no intercalary days and all months have the same
    >> number of days. You couldn't reproduce any of Earth's calendars
    >> with
    >> that software.
    >
    > Months need not have the same number of days. Just enter all of the
    > lengths in the box. For example, you can specify the Gregorian
    > calendar
    > (sans leap days) as 31 28 31 30 31 30 31 31 30 31 30 31. There's no
    > way
    > to specify leap days that I could see, unfortunately, nor other
    > kinds of
    > calendars that don't line up with a solar year.

    Do many campaigns use leap days as far as you know? Would their use be
    to try to
    keep the calendar sync'ed up with some astrological events? Or would
    the standard leap
    day rules apply as they do within our system of time keeping?

    Symbol <jb70@talk21.com> wrote:
    ><madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> Decaying Atheist wrote:

    >>> Mouse you were dead on target for this one. Thank you.
    >>
    >> I'll second that. It even allows for multiple moons. Well done!

    >But only one sun,

    How would you want this implemented, out of curiosity? I'm presuming
    you're after either some sort of sunrise/sunset timer (which depends on
    lattitude, as well as season, so I'm not precisely certain how that'd
    fit in with a generic calendar app.), or a multi-star/multi-moon eclipse
    generator.

    > no intercalary days and all months have the same number of days.

    Well, you can kinda fake the former because the latter isn't true. You
    can enter multiple items in the "days per month" field. For instance,
    "31 28 31 30 31 30 31 31 30 31 30 31" should, if I haven't botched, allow
    you to produce the calendar for this year (with the other appropriate
    settings on the second page).

    The flaw with creating a one-day month is, naturally, that the day counts
    as part of the week. It shouldn't be too hard for them to add such a
    feature, however, some sort of "number of special days" selection on the
    first page (0-15 should be adequate), then some method of defining them
    on the second. I think I'll write them a suggestion.

    > You couldn't reproduce any of Earth's calendars with that software.

    I dunno. The moon might be off (haven't tried fractional days), and
    the seasons are pretty generic, so they probably wouldn't be locally
    accurate, but you could at least get a listing for 2005 that had all
    the days right.

    --
    --DcB

    Mere moments before death, Decaying Atheist hastily scrawled:

    >"Mouse" <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:11:01 -0400, "Decaying Atheist"
    >> <harker@coxdot.net> raised a finger to the sky and proclaimed:
    >>
    >>>I'm looking for a Calendar creation software application that will
    >>>allow me to customize months to have any number of days that I want.
    >>>can create the colander using other software I have but I want
    >>>something that might actually look like a professional calendar for
    >>>my
    >>>campaign world. Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> http://www.irony.com/mkcal.html is just the thing for you
    >>
    >> --
    >> Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
    >> - Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd
    >
    >Mouse you were dead on target for this one. Thank you.
    >
    >I'll mess with it when I get home tonight.

    The acid test for me is a calendar creator that can handle the
    Imperial Calendar from WFRP as defined in The Enemy Within.

    The year is 400 days long.

    There are 8 days in a week.

    There are 12 months, all but one (Nachexen, the first month, which is
    32) are 33 days long.

    There are also 6 days that fall between months and do not have a
    normal weekday name. As if Christmas was between December and
    January, and if the day before were a Thursday, the day after would be
    a Friday.

    Oh, and there are 2 moons, one of which has an irregular cycle.

    I could fake the cycle of Morrslieb, but I've yet to find a calendar
    creator that can handle the special days.

    Ed Chauvin IV

    modifier G @ 11.

    --Terry Austin

    "Dave Butler" <ci915@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message
    > Symbol <jb70@talk21.com> wrote:
    > ><madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > >> I'll second that. It even allows for multiple moons. Well done!
    >
    > >But only one sun,
    >
    > How would you want this implemented, out of curiosity? I'm presuming
    > you're after either some sort of sunrise/sunset timer (which depends on
    > lattitude, as well as season, so I'm not precisely certain how that'd
    > fit in with a generic calendar app.), or a multi-star/multi-moon eclipse
    > generator.

    I'm not sure because I'm not really sure how orbitting planets work in
    real binary systems. I suspect orbital patterns would be significantly
    different.

    > > no intercalary days and all months have the same number of days.
    >
    > Well, you can kinda fake the former because the latter isn't true.

    Right. Didn't look close enough apparently.

    In <jJidnfDDlcWeHurfRVnyug@pipex.net> "Symbol" <jb70@talk21.com> writes:

    >"Dave Butler" <ci915@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message
    >> Symbol <jb70@talk21.com> wrote:

    >> >But only one sun,
    >>
    >> How would you want this implemented, out of curiosity? I'm presuming
    >> you're after either some sort of sunrise/sunset timer (which depends on
    >> lattitude, as well as season, so I'm not precisely certain how that'd
    >> fit in with a generic calendar app.), or a multi-star/multi-moon eclipse
    >> generator.

    >I'm not sure because I'm not really sure how orbitting planets work in
    >real binary systems. I suspect orbital patterns would be significantly
    >different.

    IIRC the easy (AKA boring) ones are:

    1) orbits around one or other of the stars at distances significantly
    less than the star-star distance. (make the star-star orbit highly
    eliptical and you can get something similar to Aldiss's
    Helliconia)

    2) orbits around both stars at distances significantly greater than
    the star-star distance. (The suns will always appear close
    together in the sky, and probably will be little different to one
    oddly shaped one)

    3) trojan point planets - the stars and the planet sit on the corners
    of an equilateral triangle.

    I'm not sure if there are any more interesting stable orbits.

    >> > no intercalary days and all months have the same number of days.
    >>
    >> Well, you can kinda fake the former because the latter isn't true.

    >Right. Didn't look close enough apparently.

    --
    Remove any bits of tatt after the at in my address to reply

    "Phil Turner" <phil.turner@bltuaeyontdetr.co.uk> wrote in message
    > In <jJidnfDDlcWeHurfRVnyug@pipex.net> "Symbol" <jb70@talk21.com> writes:
    >

    > >"Dave Butler" <ci915@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message

    > >> How would you want this implemented, out of curiosity? I'm presuming
    > >> you're after either some sort of sunrise/sunset timer (which depends
    on
    > >> lattitude, as well as season, so I'm not precisely certain how that'd
    > >> fit in with a generic calendar app.), or a multi-star/multi-moon
    eclipse
    > >> generator.
    >
    > >I'm not sure because I'm not really sure how orbitting planets work in
    > >real binary systems. I suspect orbital patterns would be significantly
    > >different.
    >
    > IIRC the easy (AKA boring) ones are:
    >
    > 1) orbits around one or other of the stars at distances significantly
    > less than the star-star distance. (make the star-star orbit highly
    > eliptical and you can get something similar to Aldiss's
    > Helliconia)
    >
    > 2) orbits around both stars at distances significantly greater than
    > the star-star distance. (The suns will always appear close
    > together in the sky, and probably will be little different to one
    > oddly shaped one)
    >
    > 3) trojan point planets - the stars and the planet sit on the corners
    > of an equilateral triangle.
    >
    > I'm not sure if there are any more interesting stable orbits.

    See that's already way beyond my amateur understanding of astronomical
    physics. I guess I would be more interested in creating "cool" Stargate
    SG1 type effects like the planet that had a climate similar to Earth's
    until the second sun came up...

Games Customization Software Video Games