G

I've got a crappy HP pavilion with a celeron 500mhz, 100mhz FSB. I want to swap the cpu with a faster celeron but I keeps seeing terms like fcpga vs. ppga socket 370, b2 stepping, etc. I know that my mobo has the intel 810 chipset, but I have no idea what fcpga and ppga and b2 stepping is...

Can't I just drop in a 1.0 or 1.2 ghz celeron to replace the old one?

Thanks for any info.
sg

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Too bad it's a Celeron 500 (that;'s the old style Celeron) instead of the newer style. If, for instance, it was a 566, you could easiliy overclock it to 850 MHz on your motherboard.
Check HP's site. The listing they give is NOT complete, but if it says it supports a Celeron 566 or higher, your good to go for ANY Coppermine CPU. I recommend a PIII over the Celeron.
The 1.2GHz Celeron will never work on that board because it's FC-PGA2. The Coppermines were FC-PGA. The original Socket Celeron was PPGA.

Back to you Tom...

G

Thanks for the reply(s) crashman. I've looked through the HP site, found no specific info regarding my slot 370 supporting coppermine. Is there another way to tell besides dropping a p3 in there and testing it out? I know it supports 100mhz fsb, isn't that sufficient for cu-mine support?

Thanks for your time,
sg

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
doesnt it say on the site the max Mhz for your mobo?

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

G

It does not list the maximum supported CPU speed.
It says that the mobo has a max FSB of 100mhz, and the slot is pga370, that's it.

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
have you tried to contact the store you got it from for more info?

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>