Intel vs AMD now is more INTEL team vs AMD team

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Team Intel

ASUS make supra mobo for intel allwayse the fastest on intel team.Stable fast like intel like it.

ATI is going to make chipset for P4.ATI driver work ""well"" with intel.

RAMBUS the best memory for P4.Pc1066 will be release for P4 soon (i hope)Dont forget that pc 1066 have less latency that ddr266 on P4.Dont forget that P4 kill latency of RDRAM.

AMD team

MSI/ABIT they get kill vs ASUS on intel platform.SO better take the new market who every have is chance.A good point i think for AMD team.

Now via (who suck) they make AMD chipset for long time.Intel dont want to see them in there ""team"".VIA unlike intel chipset have something to prove.Wich is still a good point.

Nvisia they have made chipset for AMD what intel dont very like ( personal opionion)They driver work on very well with AMD as Intel.Maybe intel want to clear them of the way (also person opinion) but imposible for now you cannot put the biggest graphic manufacture out of the way.

DDRteam 1 RDRAM will not work well with there produce 2 DDR have a lower cost and population dont like RAMBUS(wich is not me case).

2 left SIS/ALI ALI is not big so there not made any change.SIS they must choice wich camp P4/SIS 645 or SIS 745.In team amd via do anything to not see them.On intel team you must be big to compete with intel chipset.Personnaly i think sis can do it.

Conclusion is not very like that now but is starting to be more and more like this.AMD TEAM VS INTEL TEAM or
3GIO vs AMD hypertransport link.

by the way there is also IBM releasing there new HD GXP 120 with pixie dust tecnologie.

Wisdom dont come with time
Meilleur chance la prochaine fois

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I dont see why anyone has to choose teams, a mobo manufacturer can make mobos for both, and chipset manufacturers should be able to do the same.

As for the pixie dust hdd, LINKAGE!
I love the tech on that stuff, and I am in the market for a new fast hdd!

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Interesting points.

However, I don't think Nvidia and ATI have taken sides. True, Nvidia is working on a MoBo chip for the AMD Market, but hasn't effected their driver work (Yet).

It is interesting to see that there are sides begining to form, but that often happens. However, most AMD players do work with Intel products as well. Via has it's P4 MoBo chipset, as do several other product makers. AMD doesn't have the market strength for a third party producer to make parts specificly for them. However, it is begining to be the same way for the Intel chips. Idealy, this will lead to the inclusion of good ideas (IDE Raid, Dual Chanel Mem, Dual Bios, Thermal Timedowns) into both ends of the MoBo market.

My preference is AMD, as I see more practical application with much of their method. Intel aimed for the sky with the P4, but they may have aimed too high. Some of the P4 advantages, after almost 18 months on the market, are still not in full use, and probably won't be for some time to come. In theory, that may mean that a P4 system might have a longer life, but I usually overhaul my computer every 2-3 years, and that may not be enough time for it to make enough of a difference to justify the increased expense of the system.

Meanwhile, now that I've upgraded, prices will fall about 40% over the next 2 months on every system ;)

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
As for the pixie dust hdd, LINKAGE!
Just think happy thoughts, and the link will appear before you ;)

I think you need to think happier ones ;)

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
true that they dont need to choice but intel put pressure.

Link toms have put it.Like all new 1 day after hardware.fr the best news site.No i dont work them.

G

On the other hand, intel is also a competitor to its partners as it also likes to sell chipsets (and motherboards). This works as long as intel has a large enough market share, but if one day intels market share would become comparable to AMD's (and/or VIA Cyrix/transmeta/..) it would be a different story. Put yourself in the shoes of, say VIA. You make a living out of making chipsets (and a little tiny piece of the cpu market). You'r biggest competitor is intel in the chipset business, and intel in the cpu business. Who would you be inclined to work with ? Same goes for SiS, ALI, etc. Only to a lesser degree vNividia, since their core business is still graphics for now.

Intel is making a lot of bad friends with their chipset suppliers and with their motherboard manufacturers (same story, intel also makes motherboards that compete with Asus & Co). Not only do they compete with their partners, they also put them under pressure to work exclusively with them (like you mentioned). Remember the first socket A boards ? No one dare to market them, because they all feared intel's wrath. Do you think it makes Asus or MSI happy that intel wants to keep them from entering a growing market ?

This is a risky strategy. If the balance starts shifting away from intel a bit, a real domino effect could take place if some of Intels largest partners start favouring AMD simply because AMD offers no competition to them, and because they are pissed off at intel. But for now, AMD's market share is not big enough to allow a motherboard manufacturer or chipset maker to risk intels anger. Im curious how VIA will fare (however much I dislike most of their products, they do dare to say, [-peep-] of intel)

Just a thought though

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Why not accept SIS as a competitor in the chipset market of the P4.SIS can offer DDR/SDRAM and intel offer RDRAM.INTEL does have friend they will lose them soon and it will be like MAC.

MOBO intel does even try to be the biggest.There R&D in mobo is not very high.

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
all the chip companies have R&D under go, once they hit something they release it to (DUH) make some cash, i dont think they care what INTEL/AMD think, teams?hardly,after the geforce3 was released, NVidia made a version of the drivers optimised for SSE2(P4).

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
the drivers optimised for SSE2(P4

Detonator 3 i was a while after the release of Geforce 3.ON AMD side all was working at the start.

Meilleur chance la prochaine fois<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 11/08/01 04:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>