Apr 24, 2001
System specs:
AMD 1GHz athlon CPU
Abit KG7RAID mobo
2 Maxtor 30gb HDDs wired in Raid 0 with Hightech Raid controller
GeForce 4 MX440 Graphics
Audigy soundcard
Win 98 SE

I tried to install Win XP Pro onto my computer with the upgrade uption, but when it comes to the "Copy installation files" part, when it is almost finished, the whole screen went blank, the HDD LED went off, and the whole computer seems to go into a "Sleeping" state.

After a few seconds, the system came back on, and the installation complained that it couldn't access my HDDs. But, it seemed that the installation stopped the HDD on its own.

I ran my system according to specs: Cl 2.5, no OC. I can't install it from DOS as I'd require me to run a full installation. Any ideaS?

The No. 1 cause of divorce is marriage - 100% of all divorces starts with marriage

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you mean your trying to run the upgrade within windows? if so, just boot your computer off the cd and install that way.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
thanx alot for your reply. can you sorta "do an upgrade" by booting off the cd? i tried doing that, and it seemed to be doing a clean installation - no choice for an upgrade. when i chose c: as the destination drive, it'd complain of another OS in the partition, and warned that the existing OS (win98 se) on c: would be damaged if i continued.

The No. 1 cause of divorce is marriage - 100% of all divorces starts with marriage

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
oops, i forgot to add, i don't run any virus scanners. i only run just zone alarm pro in the background. during installation, i tried to close zone alarm, but the prob persisted.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is just a stab in the dark, but maybe the RAID controller is not compatible with WinXp? Probably not the
problem, but something to think about. Also, the RAID setup is probably a Highpoint, right?
Good Luck,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Take_Out on 01/26/03 08:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>