Oldie seeks new advice

G

I used to be heavily into the PC hardware scene, but I kinda dropped out right after the whole Celeron300 -> 450 thing :) .. yeah, quite some time ago. Anyway, I'm looking for advice on what to get so I have done some research but am still overwhelmed by the info.

Current rig :
p3/566mhz
some abit motherboard
512mb ram
20gb+12gb harddrive
sound card, cdr, etc..

I'd like to get one of the new AthlonXP chips, that I already know. What I don't know is which mobo to get. I'd really like to use DDR ram, and it should support ATA100, with a 266mhz fsb. I was looking at the Tyan S2460 (Thunder K7), dual cpu mobo. Could I run this with 1 cpu, and upgrade to 2 cpu's later on? Also is it difficult to use an XP chip in a dual mobo (MP is a tad expensive and I see no difference).

thanks!

Frocer

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
Hehe, I actually just upgraded my Celeron 300@450 this summer =) I went with Asus A7M266 mobo with AMD 761 chipset. I like it a lot, only thing I don't like about it is the Via southbridge. It gave me a lot of frustration but I finally fixed all the problems with like.. 5 patches. I would have wait for the Abit KG7-Raid if I didn't want to build my new comp so desperately. And Abit KG7 is still one of my top recommendation. The SiS735 chipset is also very good, unfortunately, ECS is the only one building SiS735 mobo at the moment. Leaktek just built a new mobo with SiS735 and it apparently kicks KT266a's butt, I would wait for that if you have the time.

So, basically if you want to build a computer right away, I suggest you go with the Abit KG7 series. If you can wait, I would wait for Leadtek's SiS735 mobo. I don't suggest any Via based mobo for personal reason... Ok well ya the KG7 does have a Via southbridge but the problems are all worked out already. Via's KT266a is so new and I have heard so many people complaining about booting problem, etc.

Ok I will stop rambling now..

mpjesse

Splendid
It's my understanding the new XP's won't work with a dual processor board- but the old thundebirds will. Also, that Tyan board requires registered RAM- which is a little more expensive. Dual processors are pointless unless your using your rig for rendering, CAD, or a Quake 3 server. Few games work with dual processors. Windows NT/XP Pro will take advantage of dual processors in some cases. You'd probably be better off with a single XP processor. =)

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Leaktek just built a new mobo with SiS735 and it apparently kicks KT266a's.

Go for that sucka i hear its Overclocking like a $5 hooker it can go along way.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile: