Sign in with
Your question

Athlon 1.4 266 on a MB with only 200 MHz bus?????

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Bus
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2001 3:59:00 AM

Has anyone ever tried using an Athlon CPU that was designed for a 266 MHz bus on a motherboard that only has a 200 MHz bus? Would it just use the 10.5 multiplier with the 200 MHz bus to get 1,050 MHz? or would it bump up the multiplier to 14 to get 1.4 GHz?

More about : athlon 266 200 mhz bus

November 9, 2001 1:25:08 PM

u cant change the multiplier it is burned into the processor, it will operate at 10.5x200.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
November 9, 2001 2:08:22 PM

Actualy, you can change the speed, you just need to rig it, and then you can change it manualy. However, untill you did that, it would run at 10.5

486/SX 25 @ 256. Anyone have any dry ice to cool down the system?
November 9, 2001 2:40:09 PM

i dont think that every one should try to change the multiplier, specially if they cant afford burning it.
overclocking is just for performance freeks, not a real way to work with you mechine.
i for example overclock only to work out some benches and then i set it right back, warenty is important to me as i am in the army right now and cant work.
asuming you have anough cash to buy a new part then go for it.(especially if it need fisical modifications to do the OC)

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
November 9, 2001 7:59:09 PM

Loveguru, what are you talking about? A 14X multiplier * 100MHz is NOT OVERCLOCKING THE PROCESSOR because the processor will still be running at the specified 1.4GHz, but with a slower bus.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
November 9, 2001 8:25:26 PM

but you still need to modify it phisically, meaning there is a chance you will harm the component.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
November 9, 2001 9:55:18 PM

You cant hurt the cpu by penciling in the bridges, it will not boot if you have shorted a bridge inproperly, but it will not die.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
!