New build help, please?

G

Ok...got everything together and done with the CMOS and BIOS, I save and exit out and I'm stuck at needing a System disk. This may sound a little noob-ish, thats because I am, what is a system disk, and how do I make/get one so I can continue on with my build?

Specs:

AMD 1600 XP
Epox 8KHA+
Gainward GF 2 Ti-500 64meg
2x256 Crucial ddr memory pc2100
Enlight case w/340 watt PS
SB Live 5.1
Teac floppy
Lite On DVD
IBM 20G HHD

Also, what are reasonable temps for my processor? in C or F ? I will check them the next time I figure out what/where I can get a system disk.

Thanks to everyone!!

Bruce

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
should find temps in your bios settings.
temps are generally given in Degrees C, but not always
motherboard temp shouldnt exceed 40C, unless you live in the tropics with no air conditioning.
good case cooling gives temps around 5-10C warmer than room temp.

CPU temp varies a great deal.

generally below 65C is what your looking for.
obviously the lower the better.
general standard is 40-50C idle temps.

OEMs selling "High End"PCs with integrated video will be forced into Q3tournaments using a TNT2M64!

G

You need something to boot from.. could be a floppy with, say, DOS 5.0 ;-).. could be a bootable harddisk or a cdrom with windows or some other OS installation.

You probably want to configure your bios is such a way, that it boots from CD rom if no bootable HD is available. Insert your windows installation disk, turn on your pc, and install the OS.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

G

just get ask ur fren to make a startup disk..
and use it on ur comp..
if this is a new system with a new HDD
i guess u must fdisk and format ur HDD

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
get a bigger HD, i asume as it is only 20 gig its kinda old and only 5200RPM?
get a 40+gig drive, 7200 RPM ATA100/133.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
A system disk is what the system boots from. If you have Windows 98/ME/2000/XP, you can usualy boot from the CD-rom/DVD drive and install it from there.

As far as temps go, depends on how much case cooling you have, but it should run probably under 60 C to be stable. However, as long as it runs stable, the temps don't realy mater.

Get a program like Motherboard Monitor 5 to monitor your system for the first week or so. Leave it on, and run things like Seti@Home(Graphic version, stresses the system more) or Toast to stress the system occasionaly. I had Seti@Home running on my system for a few weeks strait and got a good feal for the temps of my system.

Good luck, and hope you enjoy your system

486/SX 25 @ 256. Anyone have any dry ice to cool down the system?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
A system disk is what the system boots from. If you have Windows 98/ME/2000/XP, you can usualy boot from the CD-rom/DVD drive and install it from there.

As far as temps go, depends on how much case cooling you have, but it should run probably under 60 C to be stable. However, as long as it runs stable, the temps don't realy mater.

Get a program like Motherboard Monitor 5 to monitor your system for the first week or so. Leave it on, and run things like Seti@Home(Graphic version, stresses the system more) or Toast to stress the system occasionaly. I had Seti@Home running on my system for a few weeks strait and got a good feal for the temps of my system.

Good luck, and hope you enjoy your system

486/SX 25 @ 256. Anyone have any dry ice to cool down the system?