Tungsten T5 and Visual Basic

March 28, 2005 12:59:47 AM

We have a visual basic application that is for all practical purposes
an mp3 player. Management wants to be able to use the program on a
wireless hand held. It looks like they are going to go with the
Tungsten T5, they are getting a deal on a bunch of them. My question
is can this hand held, in its shipped configuration, run a visual
basic program? If not what are are options in regards to porting the
application.

Regards,
Robert
gpl@fishcroft.ca

More about : tungsten visual basic

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 2:26:10 PM

gpl@fishcroft.ca wrote:

> We have a visual basic application that is for all practical purposes
> an mp3 player. Management wants to be able to use the program on a
> wireless hand held. It looks like they are going to go with the
> Tungsten T5, they are getting a deal on a bunch of them. My question
> is can this hand held, in its shipped configuration, run a visual
> basic program? If not what are are options in regards to porting the
> application.

Somebody raised a similar question before. If you wanted to run a Visual
Basic program on a Palm, you will need to get the appropriate compiler.

Sadly enough, you might have to implement the compiler. Visual Basic is what
many consider to be a 'programming language', not a programming language.
It is Microsoft-centric and it is unlikely that Microsoft will assist their
competitor. I don't know if there is an option of converting to C++, then
to Palm executable, but it's worth checking.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com

On 27 Mar 2005 20:59:47 -0800, gpl@fishcroft.ca wrote:

>We have a visual basic application that is for all practical purposes
>an mp3 player. Management wants to be able to use the program on a
>wireless hand held. It looks like they are going to go with the
>Tungsten T5, they are getting a deal on a bunch of them. My question
>is can this hand held, in its shipped configuration, run a visual
>basic program? If not what are are options in regards to porting the
>application.
>
>Regards,
>Robert
>gpl@fishcroft.ca

Repeat after me: Palm is NOT Windows. Palm is NOT Windows.
Palm is NOT Windows.

It cannot run any Windows software.

You would need a Windows-based device to run a VB program.
Even then, there are probably porting issues between the desktop and
handheld versions of Windows.

If you want to put your application on a T5, think C/C++ and get the
free PODS package from Palm.

John
April 1, 2005 8:29:07 PM

gpl@fishcroft.ca wrote:

> We have a visual basic application that is for all practical purposes
> an mp3 player. Management wants to be able to use the program on a
> wireless hand held. It looks like they are going to go with the
> Tungsten T5, they are getting a deal on a bunch of them. My question
> is can this hand held, in its shipped configuration, run a visual
> basic program? If not what are are options in regards to porting the
> application.

If your management is buying Palms specifically to run a Visual Basic
application then they are as ignorant or stupid as the folks in the CT
government who bought a bunch of Macs to be used for teaching MS-DOS.

Visual Basic is a Microsoft product that runs on Microsoft operating systems
and not on Palms. PalmOS is not Windows, PalmOS _competes_ with Windows CE
or whatever they're calling it this week, and cannot and should not be
expected to run Microsoft applications.

Their choice is either to forego the "deal" and get something that can run
Visual Basic or rewrite the application in a language that is supported on
Palm. That language will not be any variant of Basic.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:29:07 -0500, J. Clarke donned fireproof underwear
and scratched on the wall:

> Visual Basic is a Microsoft product that runs on Microsoft operating systems
> and not on Palms. PalmOS is not Windows, PalmOS _competes_ with Windows CE
> or whatever they're calling it this week, and cannot and should not be
> expected to run Microsoft applications.
>
> Their choice is either to forego the "deal" and get something that can run
> Visual Basic or rewrite the application in a language that is supported on
> Palm. That language will not be any variant of Basic.

Don't know if they're still in business, but a company called Appforge
(www.appforge.com) wrote a VB runtime for the palm. You could write VB6
apps and have them run on the palm OS.

Still, if you're wanting an mp3 player, Palm comes with Real.

Works for me.

--
kai - www.perfectreign.com

kai@yoda:~> format a:
Error: The DOS concept of formatting disk media is screwed.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 2:27:01 AM

In article <1111985987.638924.82180@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
gpl@fishcroft.ca says...
> We have a visual basic application that is for all practical purposes
> an mp3 player. Management wants to be able to use the program on a
> wireless hand held. It looks like they are going to go with the
> Tungsten T5, they are getting a deal on a bunch of them. My question
> is can this hand held, in its shipped configuration, run a visual
> basic program? If not what are are options in regards to porting the
> application.
>
> Regards,
> Robert
> gpl@fishcroft.ca

<http://www.palmos.com/dev/tools/vb_rad.html&gt;
Appforge, HB++, Satellite Forms all support VB to some extent.
And I beleive MS VB has a compiler add-on to make a Palm application.
Search Google for 'palm virtual basic' to see lots and lots of hits.
--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger

<jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>gpl@fishcroft.ca wrote:
>
>> We have a visual basic application that is for all practical purposes
>> an mp3 player. Management wants to be able to use the program on a
>> wireless hand held. It looks like they are going to go with the
>> Tungsten T5, they are getting a deal on a bunch of them. My question
>> is can this hand held, in its shipped configuration, run a visual
>> basic program? If not what are are options in regards to porting the
>> application.
>
>If your management is buying Palms specifically to run a Visual Basic
>application then they are as ignorant or stupid as the folks in the CT
>government who bought a bunch of Macs to be used for teaching MS-DOS.
>
>Visual Basic is a Microsoft product that runs on Microsoft operating systems
>and not on Palms. PalmOS is not Windows, PalmOS _competes_ with Windows CE
>or whatever they're calling it this week, and cannot and should not be
>expected to run Microsoft applications.
>
>Their choice is either to forego the "deal" and get something that can run
>Visual Basic or rewrite the application in a language that is supported on
>Palm. That language will not be any variant of Basic.
>
>> Regards,
>> Robert
>> gpl@fishcroft.ca

But there are some variants of Basic that are for the Palm:
smallbasic (interpreter on the Palm - free)
YBasic/HotPaw Basic (interpreter on the Palm - shareware $18)
NSBasic (compiler for the PC, uses a runtime file on the Palm -
commercial $150)
AppForge (ridiculous price, plus a $25 per-unit runtime)
Handheld Basic (steep price but it generates native code - no runtime
needed - execution speeds comparable to C compilers)

John
!