Windows 7 Wont Boot Properly

Hi,

I have a windows 7 laptop which recently started booting to the BSOD, the starting windows screen comes up, but when the user login page should appear, its just black with the cursor.

I can boot it in safe mode, and using the command prompt can run tools, oddly enough if I schedule a CHKDSK /F scan for when its restarted, it continues to load windows fine.

I have scanned the whole laptop for viruses with malwarebytes pro, nothing found. I have run CHKDSK /F, SFC /SCANNOW. nothing found, I have a copy of the windows installation disc but there system repair tool doesn't work.

Can anyone help!?

Thanks in advance
10 answers Last reply
More about windows wont boot properly
  1. Do a REPAIR INSTALL, which will save your programs and data just requires reloading Windows updates. If your disk doesn't work because it is pre-SP1, download a legit Win 7 trial image of the same version from DIGITAL RIVER and use your key to re-activate. You cannot do a repair install with an older install disk to a version updated to SP1, either need the new disk or uninstall SP1 -- and that is hard to do when the system is unstable.
  2. I never knew that it wouldn't work with a pre SP1 disc. I'm downloading it now from digital river. I'll see if it works.
    Thanks
  3. Yeah, if you look at the guide that I included, that is the big caveat. Fortunately, Windows 7 trial images are online by a MS seller.
  4. samwalker said:
    Hi,

I have scanned the whole laptop for viruses with malwarebytes pro, nothing found...

Just wondering...how did you scan for viruses, if it won't boot?
  5. The second part of my original question:

I can boot it in safe mode, and using the command prompt can run tools, oddly enough if I schedule a CHKDSK /F scan for when its restarted, it continues to load windows fine.

I can also boot in safe mode, which was mentioned and I can also scan then too.
  6. Not that you need it now sam, but just another tool for the future -- you can download Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 for free, burn it to a CD, and boot from it, update the defs and scan, does an excellent job especially with the tough ones like shutdowner.
  7. I managed to do a repair install, which took a lot longer than I expected, windows started fine but now after shutting it down and booting up again I am faced with the same issue.
    I will try using the kaspersky repair disc out of curiosity, but are there any other ideas?
    Thanks
  8. Check your memory with MEMTEST. Also, if you can start up and run in safe mode without problems, it is most likely a driver issue.
  9. MemTest doesn't show up any errors, what's the best way of determining which driver it is causing issues? I have run a boot log before, but didn't see anything unusual. Plus with it not booting, it can be difficult to read this ...
  10. I would do the repair install since you know the memory is fine and cannot do a Windows boot. It doesn't take too long and beats the alternative of a full clean install if you can avoid that.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Windows 7 Boot