Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Wont Boot Properly

Last response: in Windows 7
February 8, 2013 11:25:52 AM

Hi,

I have a windows 7 laptop which recently started booting to the BSOD, the starting windows screen comes up, but when the user login page should appear, its just black with the cursor.

I can boot it in safe mode, and using the command prompt can run tools, oddly enough if I schedule a CHKDSK /F scan for when its restarted, it continues to load windows fine.

I have scanned the whole laptop for viruses with malwarebytes pro, nothing found. I have run CHKDSK /F, SFC /SCANNOW. nothing found, I have a copy of the windows installation disc but there system repair tool doesn't work.

Can anyone help!?

Thanks in advance
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2013 12:44:50 PM

Do a REPAIR INSTALL, which will save your programs and data just requires reloading Windows updates. If your disk doesn't work because it is pre-SP1, download a legit Win 7 trial image of the same version from DIGITAL RIVER and use your key to re-activate. You cannot do a repair install with an older install disk to a version updated to SP1, either need the new disk or uninstall SP1 -- and that is hard to do when the system is unstable.
m
l
February 8, 2013 12:58:54 PM

I never knew that it wouldn't work with a pre SP1 disc. I'm downloading it now from digital river. I'll see if it works.
Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2013 1:23:44 PM

Yeah, if you look at the guide that I included, that is the big caveat. Fortunately, Windows 7 trial images are online by a MS seller.
m
l
February 8, 2013 1:27:54 PM

samwalker said:
Hi,

I have scanned the whole laptop for viruses with malwarebytes pro, nothing found...

Just wondering...how did you scan for viruses, if it won't boot?
m
l
February 8, 2013 1:35:20 PM

The second part of my original question:

I can boot it in safe mode, and using the command prompt can run tools, oddly enough if I schedule a CHKDSK /F scan for when its restarted, it continues to load windows fine.

I can also boot in safe mode, which was mentioned and I can also scan then too.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2013 1:43:03 PM

Not that you need it now sam, but just another tool for the future -- you can download Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 for free, burn it to a CD, and boot from it, update the defs and scan, does an excellent job especially with the tough ones like shutdowner.
m
l
February 8, 2013 9:22:12 PM

I managed to do a repair install, which took a lot longer than I expected, windows started fine but now after shutting it down and booting up again I am faced with the same issue.
I will try using the kaspersky repair disc out of curiosity, but are there any other ideas?
Thanks
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 9, 2013 12:45:28 AM

Check your memory with MEMTEST. Also, if you can start up and run in safe mode without problems, it is most likely a driver issue.
m
l
February 12, 2013 5:07:44 PM

MemTest doesn't show up any errors, what's the best way of determining which driver it is causing issues? I have run a boot log before, but didn't see anything unusual. Plus with it not booting, it can be difficult to read this ...
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 12, 2013 5:28:35 PM

I would do the repair install since you know the memory is fine and cannot do a Windows boot. It doesn't take too long and beats the alternative of a full clean install if you can avoid that.
m
l
!