somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
IBM is building a new super computer, and it sounds damn cool. Read about it <A HREF="http://www.research.ibm.com/bluegene/press_release.html" target="_new">here</A>.

Here's an extract:
"The SMASH architecture differs from existing approaches in three ways:
• It dramatically simplifies the number of instructions carried out by each processor, allowing them to work faster and with significantly lower power and chip surface requirements (the traditional approach is to add complex features to gain performance);
• It will facilitate a massively parallel system capable of more than 8 million simultaneous threads of computation (compared to the maximum of 5000 threads today);
• It will make the computer self-stabilizing and self-healing -- automatically able to overcome failures of individual processors and computing threads.
Blue Gene will consist of more than one million processors, each capable of one billion operations per second (1 gigaflop). Thirty-two of these ultra-fast processors will be placed on a single chip (32 gigaflops). A compact two-foot by two-foot board containing 64 of these chips will be capable of 2 teraflops, making it as powerful as the 8000-square foot ASCI computers.
Eight of these boards will be placed in 6-foot-high racks (16 teraflops), and the final machine (less than 2000 sq. ft.) will consist of 64 racks linked together to achieve the one petaflop performance."

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Well, it would probably only use one of the million processors, but I'd say it would run pretty well. :lol:

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
It dramatically simplifies the number of instructions carried out by each processor, allowing them to work faster and with significantly lower power and chip surface requirements (the traditional approach is to add complex features to gain performance

I have read about that maybe 1 year ago in this time that was still in R&D

Wisdom dont come with time
Meilleur chance la prochaine fois

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
I doubt it would be able to play wolfenstein properly, these computers are generally only for number crunching, not realtime stuff, if you want to see fast computers doing realtime graphics then you should check out sgi's uber-expensive machines.

AMD = Anger Management Disorder

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Exactly, just because they have a number of processors, doesn't mean games will run faster. I mean you can have 2 million processors and an integrated Rage Pro graphics chip.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
AMD Man and Intel inside agreeing on something?! :lol:

I'm sure you could work out some kind of software emulation to make games run on that computer.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
It'd be too much of a pain in the ass to do that. Woah, if teh two agreed, then hell froze over. Uh oh- that also means that Windows is working properly! I love the SGI machines- they are really cool. I sometimes dream of the stuff (ok, fine daydream in math class) that I would od on it.

If it's working...overclock it!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
There's a projetc that will kick this things ass that'll be ready in about 4 years. It's called HTMT. There, a single processor will be a capable of 700 to 900 teraflops!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
lol, I'll agree with any post by anyone as long as it's logical and is unbiased.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
It was on a Scientific American article on supercomputing- rather recent actually (then again every since teh new millenium I have been experiencing my own Y2k bug where everything just seems to have recently, even though it may have happened 2 years ago!)

G

>Thirty-two of these ultra-fast processors will be placed on a single chip

Can you believe that ? THIRTY-TWO ! Anyone got an idea on what core this beast will be based ? Not likely to be the Power4.. but still. even 32 Pentium classic style CPU's in one chip would be something I'd want.. might be small enough to fit into an iPaq or something

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Eh, I'm sure that you could run it in software mode with emulated advanced DX9 like effects... Even at a crapy emulator efficiency, you'd still get a super frame rate.

Lyrics. Wasted time between solos.

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
Hmmmm, someone produces a machine thats may find a cure for cancer or discover life in the universe and what's the first thing you guys want to know... how will this affect my frag rate!

Sad... Sad... SAD

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
lol i was kidding!
i run cure for cancer all the time on my home pc.
at work i use unix os2's and a 10 pentium3 733 cpu cluster to do drug design work.

Why do i feel like the lone sane voice in the mental assylum?