Dragon Naturally Speaking with Palm

March 28, 2005 12:58:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

I need voice recognition software for my work. Up to now, I have been using
a PC, but I see that Dragon Naturally Speaking has the ability to use the
Palm as a digital dictation machine and for the audio file to be transferred
and transcribed on a PC.
Has anyone used this?
Is it any good?
Is the palm transcribing as accurate as the PC transcribing (very
important)?
Mick
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 2:10:18 PM

Penster wrote:

> I need voice recognition software for my work. Up to now, I have been
> using a PC, but I see that Dragon Naturally Speaking has the ability to
> use the Palm as a digital dictation machine and for the audio file to be
> transferred and transcribed on a PC.

I did not know this was possible. This article caught my eye because running
Dragon on a PDA is laughable. Dragon is a notorious resource-demanding
application.

> Has anyone used this?
> Is it any good?

I have not tried this, but...

> Is the palm transcribing as accurate as the PC transcribing (very
> important)?

The only factor here is the quality of recording. In PC-side transcribing
there are many aspects to consider: microphone quality, baseline volume,
clarity of speech, adaptation to voice (as in the training stage), etc.

The built-in recording facility of a Palm aims to make data concise. Also, I
do not know much about the quality of the microphone.

Try this: in your practice or in the natural conditions where recording is
to take please, blurt out a few words while recording. Compare your ability
to understand the voice with that which you get on the PC. Also search the
Web to learn about other people's experiences.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Roy
When I have looked into it, the palm does the recording and the PC the
transcribing. I have not found a Palm review, but did find a pocket PC
review that spoke well of it.
Mick
"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
news:D 28hnl$2imn$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...
> Penster wrote:
>
> > I need voice recognition software for my work. Up to now, I have been
> > using a PC, but I see that Dragon Naturally Speaking has the ability to
> > use the Palm as a digital dictation machine and for the audio file to be
> > transferred and transcribed on a PC.
>
> I did not know this was possible. This article caught my eye because
running
> Dragon on a PDA is laughable. Dragon is a notorious resource-demanding
> application.
>
> > Has anyone used this?
> > Is it any good?
>
> I have not tried this, but...
>
> > Is the palm transcribing as accurate as the PC transcribing (very
> > important)?
>
> The only factor here is the quality of recording. In PC-side transcribing
> there are many aspects to consider: microphone quality, baseline volume,
> clarity of speech, adaptation to voice (as in the training stage), etc.
>
> The built-in recording facility of a Palm aims to make data concise. Also,
> do not know much about the quality of the microphone.
>
> Try this: in your practice or in the natural conditions where recording is
> to take please, blurt out a few words while recording. Compare your
ability
> to understand the voice with that which you get on the PC. Also search the
> Web to learn about other people's experiences.
>
> Roy
>
> --
> Roy S. Schestowitz
> http://Schestowitz.com
March 28, 2005 2:50:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Roy
The PocketPC article is:
http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/modules.php?name=Forums&f...
One thing which is a pain (with many digital dictaphones) with the PPC
software is that there appears to be no ability to backspace, which I do all
the time with a tape dictation machine. The review says not as good as PC
dictation but 90% which I would happily accept.
Mick
"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
news:D 28hnl$2imn$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...
> Penster wrote:
>
> > I need voice recognition software for my work. Up to now, I have been
> > using a PC, but I see that Dragon Naturally Speaking has the ability to
> > use the Palm as a digital dictation machine and for the audio file to be
> > transferred and transcribed on a PC.
>
> I did not know this was possible. This article caught my eye because
running
> Dragon on a PDA is laughable. Dragon is a notorious resource-demanding
> application.
>
> > Has anyone used this?
> > Is it any good?
>
> I have not tried this, but...
>
> > Is the palm transcribing as accurate as the PC transcribing (very
> > important)?
>
> The only factor here is the quality of recording. In PC-side transcribing
> there are many aspects to consider: microphone quality, baseline volume,
> clarity of speech, adaptation to voice (as in the training stage), etc.
>
> The built-in recording facility of a Palm aims to make data concise. Also,
> do not know much about the quality of the microphone.
>
> Try this: in your practice or in the natural conditions where recording is
> to take please, blurt out a few words while recording. Compare your
ability
> to understand the voice with that which you get on the PC. Also search the
> Web to learn about other people's experiences.
>
> Roy
>
> --
> Roy S. Schestowitz
> http://Schestowitz.com
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 4:21:06 PM

Penster wrote:

> Roy
> The PocketPC article is:

http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/modules.php?name=Forums&f...
> One thing which is a pain (with many digital dictaphones) with the PPC
> software is that there appears to be no ability to backspace, which I do
> all the time with a tape dictation machine. The review says not as good as
> PC dictation but 90% which I would happily accept.
> Mick

All that hassle of transferring data and then processing makes me wonder if
it's worthwhile. Not to mention ghost-reading, which is the only PC-side
flaw (delay).

Dragon is probably best for people who type slowly. I fear that my verbal
English is not as good (well-controlled, e.g. ambiguity, back-tracking) as
the written and yet it has the potential to be sent to a receiver who
assumes it was typed. Disclaimers at the bottom are no good compensation
for this fact. They become clutter.

[OT] That Web site is odd. It seems to rip off the title of Sammy
McLoughlin's PalmAddict. Also, it is OS X-themed. Isn't that a Pocket PC
site?!?! Bookmark page? No.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com

On 2005-03-28, Penster <xxx@xxx.com> wrote:

> When I have looked into it, the palm does the recording and the PC
> the transcribing. I have not found a Palm review, but did find a
> pocket PC review that spoke well of it.

Can you not use a microcassette recorder instead? They cost 20 quid
and have a far longer battery life, so would appear to be more suited
to serious dictation work. You'd then have to get that into Dragon of
course, but if you can plug a microphone in then you can plug a
dictaphone in.

I've used dictaphones for taking notes on a variety of things and the
only reason I use the Palm now is because I've always got it with me,
in reality the dictaphone is much better for the job, even better than
a minidisc (which I also tried). Small differences can make a huge
difference, in the case of the dictaphone it's the ability to sit
there using no power at all then to suddenly fire up on all cylinders
and make a reliable recording, the minidisc was useless at this and
twice lost an entire disc of notes, while the Palm is often used for
other things, some of which make taking a voicenote impossible.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Ian
I am currently using a microcassette. I am curious whether anyone has tried
using the palm system and whether it would be an improvement.
Mick

!