Xp1600 and Abit kg-7 clocking probs

G

Hiya,
Slight prob, i have just bought an AMD XP 1600 (1.4) and a KG-7 with 256Mb of 2100 DDR RAM ( 4 days old ).
I have set it in the bios to a basic 1.4 at 100MHz and didn't touch the RAM settings and it boots fine.
If i set it too 133MHz CPU FSB and/or 4.4.1 for the RAM it would boot properly.User Defined settings doesn't work either. I go into the BIOS set it to 133MHz save changes and it comes out of the BIOS and all the LED's stay on, only way to get it to turn off is to hold the power button in, i can then only get back to the BIOS if i clear the CMOS. If i then set it back to 1.4 * 100 it is OK. It's not a conflict with any of the cards or drives, as i had this prob without them in. I have installed the VIA chipset and AGP update as well and tried it. How do i get the CPU and/or RAM to run at 266 ( 2 * 133 ) ?

i am running Windows ME
Matrox G400
Diamond supra 56k internal modem
SB Live!
Kingston 10/100 NIC
2 Seagate 20Gb ATA 100 drives
DVD drive
Yamaha 4416 CDRW
all have the latest drivers ( beside the point as it does the same when it boot's with just graphics card in and nothing else attached )

svol

Champion
First of all you need to check if you have the latest BIOS (5W). You can see which versions you have by looking at the last two digits of the long number which appears in the left corner at boot up. Also see the manual for this (Appendix D).
Also you have too check if your DDR voltage is at 2.55 instead of 2.65, this might help some brands of memory to get stable.

<font color=red> Hot outside? </font color=red><font color=blue> Cold inside! </font color=blue> :cool:

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You know these things practicly build themselves.

Good thing you saved lots of money.

Only 4 days (and countin) to build... Everyone needs one!

I bet its a real screamer.

Having fun yet?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Set your memory timings to as high as you can, that might help. Otherwise, I'd think you might have been shipped a bad motherboard.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just wondering if you brought the multiplier down when you took the fsb up to 133? I have a KG7-Raid and just updated the bios to the latest when i got the board and went with the stock XP1800+ settings and it works fine. One thing that you have to look out for is that is you reset your CMOS you have to go back and set the CPU up right under Soft Menu III or your computer will boot fine, but it will hang on reboot. Took me forever to figure that out with my friends KT7 & Tbird 900 I built him, forgot about it when I built my machine at first. Just remembering that will help you out with a lot of WTF wont this thing post after adjusting something in the BIOS and restarting!

Osanai te ni sashinobetai zutto kitto eien ni....!!!