HotSync corrupts end times for new category calendar items

March 28, 2005 7:20:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

I am using Palm OS v.3.3 on the original Palm Pilot, Palm Desktop
4.1.4 on Win2K/SP4. On my Calendar, I created a new event category
known as Regular (my short name for regular optional events). On the
Palm Desktop, I designated one such Calendar event as Regular. No
problem. When I HotSync with the Palm Pilot, I get logged error
message:

Your device does not support events spanning midnight. The end time
was set to 11:55 on both the Palm Desktop and the device for this
event: <<Description of event>>

Sure enough, the End Time was set to 11:55pm. No amount of setting
the time to normal would take (HotSync always set it back to 11:55pm).
I even put the event back as unfiled and erased the Regular category,
to no avail. In the end, I had to delete the event and recreate it.
I haven't found a similar problem by googling groups. Just wondering
if anyone else has experienced it? I'm not sure if it's related to
the Palm Pilot per se.

Fred
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:15:17 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Fred Ma <fma@REMOVE_NOSPAM.doe.carleton.ca> wrote in news:D 297bb$p85$1
@driftwood.ccs.carleton.ca:

> I haven't found a similar problem by googling groups. Just wondering
> if anyone else has experienced it? I'm not sure if it's related to
> the Palm Pilot per se.

It's related to the OS and the built-in app. It won't take events
spanning midnight, so you have to make two entries, one going up to 11:59
and another for the period after midnight. Datebk5 gets around this
problem, and lets you enter events that span midnight. OS5 might permit
this, but I've been using Datebk5 so long that I have never tried it on
an OS5 device with just the basic date book. If you don't want to buy a
new Palm, then try Datebk5. I think you'll like it. It's far more
powerful and configurable than the built-in app.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 5:11:50 PM

Stan Gosnell wrote:
> Fred Ma <fma@REMOVE_NOSPAM.doe.carleton.ca> wrote:
>
>>I haven't found a similar problem by googling groups. Just wondering
>>if anyone else has experienced it? I'm not sure if it's related to
>>the Palm Pilot per se.
>
> It's related to the OS and the built-in app. It won't take events
> spanning midnight, so you have to make two entries, one going up to 11:59
> and another for the period after midnight. Datebk5 gets around this
> problem, and lets you enter events that span midnight. OS5 might permit
> this, but I've been using Datebk5 so long that I have never tried it on
> an OS5 device with just the basic date book. If you don't want to buy a
> new Palm, then try Datebk5. I think you'll like it. It's far more
> powerful and configurable than the built-in app.

Hi, Stan,

The event is not suppose to span midnight, but I think the app is
made to think that it does when I apply my new event category and
then HotSync with the PDA. Just wondering if that's a common problem.

Fred
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 11:19:32 PM

news:D 2bk6m$822$1@driftwood.ccs.carleton.ca:

> The event is not suppose to span midnight, but I think the app is
> made to think that it does when I apply my new event category and
> then HotSync with the PDA. Just wondering if that's a common problem.

So you're saying that you enter an appointment that spans, say, from 1PM
to 2PM, and the hotsync resets it to 1PM to 11:55PM? No, I can't say
that's common; I've never seen it, nor heard of it before. What other
properties have you given Regular?

You may want to try to get someone else to help here, because I have to
admit I'm not really familiar with the original Palm Pilot.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 6:38:47 AM

Stan Gosnell wrote:

> So you're saying that you enter an appointment that spans, say, from 1PM
> to 2PM, and the hotsync resets it to 1PM to 11:55PM? No, I can't say
> that's common; I've never seen it, nor heard of it before. What other
> properties have you given Regular?

That's right.

> You may want to try to get someone else to help here, because I have to
> admit I'm not really familiar with the original Palm Pilot.

Actually, the problem goes away if the event is erased and re-entered.
I gave no attributes to the category Regular. The problem is now gone,
but I was wondering what precipitated it. In order to avoid it. But
no imminent problem at the moment.

Fred
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:02:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

I have had the same problem too. It happens with events that I repeat
on a daily basis. Today it happened with a repeating event set for 7.00
am to 8.30 am. After hotsynching it was reset to 7.00 am to 11.55 pm!
This happens regularly and is annoying.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:58:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

See answers below.
Fred Ma wrote:
> Ivan Skivar wrote:
> > I have had the same problem too. It happens with events that I
repeat
> > on a daily basis. Today it happened with a repeating event set for
7.00
> > am to 8.30 am. After hotsynching it was reset to 7.00 am to 11.55
pm!
> > This happens regularly and is annoying.
>
> Hmm. I was changing my event from isolated event to weekly event.
> I wonder if you can provide some detail...
>
> Did you also have the event as a custom-defined event category?
Sorry. I don't know what a custom-defined event category is.
> Did the problem follow a change in the event category?
> Did the problem follow a change from isolated event to repeating
event?
> Where were you making these changes, Palm Desktop or handheld?
On the Palm Desktop.
> Did the problem follow a HotSync?
Yes
> Is the problem avoided by recreating the repeat event from scratch,
No.
> in the custom event category (rather than changing the even to have
those
> attributes)?
> What OS/service-pack on the PC & the handheld?
Windows XP and Tungsten C v.4.5.1P
Are you using the datebook
> that came with the OS?
No. The latest download from PalmOne

> Thanks for whatever details you provide. If anything, it might show
> correlations with the key factors.
>
> Fred
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 4:10:55 PM

Ivan Skivar wrote:
> I have had the same problem too. It happens with events that I repeat
> on a daily basis. Today it happened with a repeating event set for 7.00
> am to 8.30 am. After hotsynching it was reset to 7.00 am to 11.55 pm!
> This happens regularly and is annoying.

Hmm. I was changing my event from isolated event to weekly event.
I wonder if you can provide some detail...

Did you also have the event as a custom-defined event category?
Did the problem follow a change in the event category?
Did the problem follow a change from isolated event to repeating event?
Where were you making these changes, Palm Desktop or handheld?
Did the problem follow a HotSync?
Is the problem avoided by recreating the repeat event from scratch,
in the custom event category (rather than changing the even to have those
attributes)?
What OS/service-pack on the PC & the handheld? Are you using the datebook
that came with the OS?

Thanks for whatever details you provide. If anything, it might show a
correlations with the key factors.

Fred
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 4:01:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

> > Did you also have the event as a custom-defined event category?
>
> Sorry. I don't know what a custom-defined event category is.

Each event can be designated as "Business", "Personal", or "Unfiled".
I created my own category "RegularOptional". Useful for the Desktop,
but the category doesn't show up in the handheld.

> > Did the problem follow a change in the event category?
> > Did the problem follow a change from isolated event to repeating event?

> > Where were you making these changes, Palm Desktop or handheld?
> On the Palm Desktop.
Me too.

> > Did the problem follow a HotSync?
> Yes
Me too.

> > Is the problem avoided by recreating the repeat event from scratch,
> No.
I managed to solve my problem by creating it from scratch.

> > What OS/service-pack on the PC & the handheld?
> Windows XP and Tungsten C v.4.5.1P
Mine is Win2K/SP4, Palm OS v.3.3.

> > Are you using the datebook that came with the OS?
> No. The latest download from PalmOne
My datebook is whatever came with Palm OS v.3.3. The datebook says it
is v. 3.0.

Anyway, it seems to be a pervasive problem if it affects different
handhelds, different Palm OS, and different datebook versions. Maybe
it's the Palm Desktop itself. The Palm Desktop version I have is
v.4.1.4.

Fred
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 12:25:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Fred Ma wrote:
(snip)>
> Anyway, it seems to be a pervasive problem if it affects different
> handhelds, different Palm OS, and different datebook versions. Maybe
> it's the Palm Desktop itself. The Palm Desktop version I have is
> v.4.1.4.
>
> Fred

Yep, and it needs fixing.

Ivan