Need news on CPUs!

G

I haven't been her for a lo..I mean LONG TIME!
OK, I stopped reading about CPUs since Pentium4!
I know there is also AthlonXP (should Palomino!)
and I it says 1.8Ghz but actaually 1.53? what's that?
Can you summarazie and tell me about new CPUs starting after P4?(temps, speeds, features) please?
and wha'ts SSE?
Thank, You!

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I've seen you psot before, awhile ago.....

SSE is Intel's version of AMD"s 3D Now! its an FPU Enhancement......

Read carefully Manarch....there is no Such thing as a 1.8GHz Athlon XP running at 1.53GHZ...
INFACT....the processor is an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ running @ 1.53GHz.......dont mistake the Rating (which the 1800+ stands for) for the true MHz....remember....in terms of the Athlon and inclusign the XP......MHz means nothing anymore...becasue the Athlon has a higher IPC (Instructions Per Clock) than the Pentium 4 does.....

The Modle Numbers that AMD Gave the XP are supposed to be used to compare the XP to the T-Bird core....so basically It woudl take a T-Bird @ 1.8GHz to compare to the performance of the XP 1800+...understand ? :wink:

-MeTaL RoCkEr

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new"> <b> My Rig </b> </A>

G

Basically AMD says out 1.5Ghz runs as fast 1.8Ghz, right?
I believe INTEL will say soon "well.. Pentium4 2.0Ghz is as fast P3 3Ghz!"
Where is Palomino?

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Nope

Athlon XP1800+ is the Palomino Core Athlon with performance equivalent to the performance of an Athlon Thunderbird running at 1.8ghz (1800 mhz)

Palomino (XP1800+ runs gives roughly the same performance as a P4 2ghz

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
No, its the other way round, 3D now is AMD's version of SSE. Intel were the first to implement these find of complex FPU enhancments.

Did you know there never was there ever a cat so clever as magical Mr. Mistoffeles?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://athlonxp.amd.com/technicalInformation/benchmarkingModelNumbering.jsp" target="_new">http://athlonxp.amd.com/technicalInformation/benchmarkingModelNumbering.jsp</A> is the proper place to go.

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nope!!

A P3 2.0 GHz would run as fast as P4 3.0 GHz!

Lets face it, this how the things stand!

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
3D now is AMD's version of SSE

Partially true. 3DNow is AMD's original optimizations, 3DNow+ includes MMX, and then 3DNow Pro (current) includes SSE.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
nope, true.
SSE/SSE2 is not developed by Intel.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

TRENDING THREADS