Ongoing AMD/OpenGL Trouble

G

Hi there everyone... I have an ongoing problem with my computer at the moment...

My Comp's (relevant) specs are :
AMD 1.2gHz CPU
Soltek SL-75KAV Motherboard
Asus v7700 Ti Deluxe Vid Card
128mb SDRAM

For quite a while I've been getting system hangs when in OpenGL... completely random to the best of my knowledge... its irrespective of CPU temperature pr GFX GPU temperature... Sometimes it'll go for hours flawlessly and others it'll hang in 10 minutes...
I'm pretty sure its not my gfx card since I was getting this with my old card, and now I get exactly the same thing with my new one. (My old card was and Asus V3400)

I've been playing it safe, trying everything I could think of... does anyone else have any ideas? I heard that AMD sometimes has trouble with high end graphics - whats the deal here? could it be my MB?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks...

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Hmmm...are you running Win2K, by any chance? If so, get your hands on the <A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871,00.html" target="_new">Athlon+Win2K regpatch</A> and apply it. I found this cured the same problems you're having.

Also (at the risk of sounding redundant) apply the latest AGP miniport drivers for your chipset.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I had a freaky lockup problem with a v7700 and a pIII. I fixed it by changing the AGP aperture size to 16M. I didn’t see that much speed difference and it never locked up again. I’d play with your bios settings.

Schmide

G

thanks ppl - I think thats fixxed it (I forgot to mention I was using win2k)
yeh I've played with all Bios too - and nothing changed - thats why I was so puzzled

thanks again!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
May I ask, why, if you thought it was the graphics card, did you title your post in the manner you did?

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

G

Quote "I'm pretty sure its *not* my gfx card"...

what are you on about, Einstein?

so eager to find faults...