Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P2B-F CPU Upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2001 3:00:22 AM

I want to upgrade the motor in my Slot-1 ASUS P2B-F MB (circa '99). I hope to replace the PII, 350MHz CPU that's in it with the fastest PIII Coppermine that will work. ASUS Tech Support says that (as determined from the bar code on the MB) my Rev. 1.00 P2B-F will support up to a Celeron 533 and PIII 600 (FSB100,SECC2, 512K L2 Cache) -- I read this as it will support Katmai but not Coppermine PIII CPUs. The ASUS web site says that later versions of the Rev. 1.00 P2B-F PWB will support Coppermine CPUs, so I guess that mine is too old. I suspect that the onboard power controller can't provide the 1.65V required by Coppermine PIIIs, but this hasn't been confirmed by ASUS. If this is the case, then Slot-1 Coppermines won't work. I get from the "CPU Scaling Analysis, Part 2: Intel Pentium III Scaling and Upgrading" article, that Slot-to-Socket Adapter (SSA) cards exist which have their own voltage regulator to compensate for this limitation.

Does anyone know which SSA card will work with the older P2B-F MBs?

More about : asus p2b cpu upgrade

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2001 3:25:46 AM

just upgrade your BIOS(flash it), any SSA cards like MSI, ePOX, Asus and Abit willwork with P2B-F. Just get the one with onboard voltage control.
November 14, 2001 3:30:27 AM

Read this page from <A HREF="http://www.asus.com.tw/products/techref/Cpu/Coppermine/..." target="_new">Asus Techref</A> and decide for yourself.

Yoour board will support the Coppermine processors, get the Asus S370-DL slotket and flash your BIOS to the latest version.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
!