No boot; Nothing but a faint chirp

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutcopypaste

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I just disassembled my laptop to clean it out with some compressed air. When I got everything back together, it's not coming on. I just hear a faint chirp. A single one if I press power without it plugged in, and a steady stream of chirps if the power is plugged in. The power light is also not coming on.

I am concerned about the hard drive because it's been behaving oddly and I've been getting BSOD's a lot (planning on getting a new one when I have a chance.. if this machine is even going to survive long enough)

The laptop is an HP Pavillion DV7..

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on what is going on .. :)

nolij

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
im guessing it worked before you took it apart. did you double check to make sure everything was connected properly? maybe you hit something while you were working on it? try and rethink everything you did. BSOD could be a component failure but not always the hard drive. how many ram chips are in the laptop?

cutcopypaste

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
there's 2 2gb sticks.
and yeah it was working before taking it apart, but very poorly (like ridiculously slow). Did all the software cleaning and malware removal I could, and then decided I'd take it apart and blow it out with compressed air.

I'm wondering if it's gotta be PSU related since the power light doesn't even come on.. there's no sign of anything happening in the laptop except that faint chirping noise (and it's pretty faint.. and coming from near where the plug plugs in.)

Status
Not open for further replies.