Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Reinstalling windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
February 8, 2013 3:14:10 PM

I have a Dell Insperion 14 that I bought last April. The hard drive crashed before Christmas and I had to send it to Dell of replacement. Obviously all other software applications on the computer were gone when we got the computer back from Dell. I have since reinstalled all software using my last licsense to do so. Now I am having major issues with internet explorer giving me an "Object Error" on some websites. All indications I have to reinstall windows 7. How do I do this and not loose all of my other applications that are on this computer?

More about : reinstalling windows

February 8, 2013 3:18:19 PM

You won't be able to keep software with a reinstall. You can back up files but not software.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2013 3:23:15 PM

Have you tried to reset IE and reload flash, etc. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Just click on Fix It.

Another option is to install a different brower, like Chrome, and make it the default.

If you do reinstall and have to reload all your apps, as soon as the system is the way you want it set up make a system image. That way you can get right back to a working system.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2013 3:23:16 PM

why not try to fix the error before trying to re-install?

try a different web browser

does it still happen?

if not go into ie and set the internet options to default
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2013 3:24:06 PM

Don't reinstall Windows just because IE gives you errors.
Have you tried resetting the settings? (Internet options>Advanced>Reset)
What object errors are you encountering? Is it Java? If so, reinstall Java
http://www.java.com/en/
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2013 3:45:16 PM

If above does not work. You can fix by re-installing windows as n UPgrade - Do not loose installed programs that way. Will have to go through all thoes windows updates. Did this on my wife's system to fix a windows update problem.
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 6:31:26 PM

Soda-88 said:
Don't reinstall Windows just because IE gives you errors.
Have you tried resetting the settings? (Internet options>Advanced>Reset)
What object errors are you encountering? Is it Java? If so, reinstall Java
http://www.java.com/en/


That is one of the issues. The messages does not say what the object is that is causing the error.
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 6:34:50 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
why not try to fix the error before trying to re-install?

try a different web browser

does it still happen?

if not go into ie and set the internet options to default




Thank you. I have made Chrome my default. However, my granddaughter has some on-line programs that seem to be tied to IE because they do not work well with Chrome. These are education programs for school.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 15, 2013 6:52:55 PM

connjunction said:
Thank you. I have made Chrome my default. However, my granddaughter has some on-line programs that seem to be tied to IE because they do not work well with Chrome. These are education programs for school.


did you go into ie and set the internet options to default

also try uninstalling any ie toolbars that have been added--my grand daughter has a habit of installing

loads of ie toolbars--which usually leads to problems
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 6:55:28 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
did you go into ie and set the internet options to default

also try uninstalling any ie toolbars that have been added--my grand daughter has a habit of installing

loads of ie toolbars--which usually leads to problems



Thank you. YOu may have just hit on simething I had not caught. I will check this out tonight.

Thank you again.
m
0
l
!