Tungsten T5 and Java (was:Tungsten T5 and Visual Basic)

March 28, 2005 12:20:23 PM

As I mentioned in a previous post (Tungsten T5 and Visual Basic) We
have a visual basic application that is for all practical purposes
an mp3 player. Management wants to be able to use the program on a
wireless hand held. It looks like they are going to go with the
Tungsten T5, they are getting a deal on a bunch of them.

Being as Visual Basic on the T5 is out of the question the other more
viable option appears to be to port the application to the Java
language.

So my next question is. In regards to using Java on the T5 what are
peoples general experiences with this environment with specific regard
to GUI and wirless communications functionality? Are there any
recomended tutorials or howto's on the subject? (I know it's two
questions.)

Regards,
Robert
g...@fishcroft.ca
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 10:03:56 PM

If it's "for all practical purposes an mp3 player" maybe one of the
commercially available mp3 players will suit your application just
fine?

Here are websites for some of them:

http://www.mmplayer.com/
http://www.realnetworks.com/industries/mobile/operators...
http://www.pocket-tunes.com/
http://www.aerodrome.us/aeroplayer/index.html
http://www.electricpocket.com/products/busker.html

Also, I'm worred that you call the Tungsten T5 a "wireless" handheld.
The T5 does not have WiFi, although it does have Bluetooth and an IrDA
port built in. Although you can use an SDIO WiFi card to add WiFi,
this is expensive and the card sticks out from the device like a diving
board. If you do need WiFi you would be much better off buying the
Tungsten C or Sony Clie TH-55 or UX-50 which all come with WiFi built
in.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:31:36 PM

gpl@fishcroft.ca wrote:

> As I mentioned in a previous post (Tungsten T5 and Visual Basic) We
> have a visual basic application that is for all practical purposes
> an mp3 player. Management wants to be able to use the program on a
> wireless hand held. It looks like they are going to go with the
> Tungsten T5, they are getting a deal on a bunch of them.
>
> Being as Visual Basic on the T5 is out of the question the other more
> viable option appears to be to port the application to the Java
> language.
>
> So my next question is. In regards to using Java on the T5 what are
> peoples general experiences with this environment with specific regard
> to GUI and wirless communications functionality? Are there any
> recomended tutorials or howto's on the subject? (I know it's two
> questions.)

Uh, if you folks need "recommended tutorials or howtos" then porting the
code is almost certainly beyond your current skills.

For this to be cost effective they better be getting a few thousand of them
for free.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

In article <1112026823.024618.300830@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
gpl@fishcroft.ca says...

<http://pluggedin.palmone.com/regac/pluggedin/Java.jsp&g...;

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger

Nope.. we just want to know what the "gatcha's" are be for we start so
we don't spend time rediscovering them.

Robert

!