athlon1500+ is shown as 1333.

G

New Athlon 1500+ is shown as 1333. I have a new Athlon 1500+ chip on a K7S5A mainboard. The machine runs fine but only scores 5011 on the madonion 2000 tester used by Tom's hardware, and I would be expecting 6000+. Also the CPU is shown as a 1333 at startup. Is there anything I can do to correct this (already tried advanced setup etc), thanks in anticipation.

G

err it's correct because the newest Athlon XP shows figures liek 1500+ and 1800+ but they actually run at 1333 and 16XX i think respectively.. the 1500+ and 1800+ shows that both the processors perform at that speed! tho it has a lower clock speed.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
your system is showing the right thing.

AMD AthlonXP model 1500+ actually runs at 1333 MHz, and gives a P4 relative performance of 1500 or even more!

Read this <A HREF="http://athlonxp.amd.com/technicalInformation/benchmarkingModelNumbering.jsp" target="_new">doc</A> to get the overall idea of model numbering.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yes. What video card do you have?

($10 says it's an MX200)

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

UltraTurk - What are you on about - Do we all have to choose if you are a moron or a troll. Well since there's no known trolls in the thread yet and your the only moron here I opt for moron :smile:

Anyway - we came accross a similar problem where I work - we were selling processors (can't remeber speed) but they were showing up as slower. We were told to tell our customers that it is because the chip came out way after the BIOS so it didn't recognise the cpu thus displaying a smaller number - It still runs at the clock speed it was sold at though. Is this BS or could there be some truth in that? I must admit I was a bit wary who I told that to.

You are responsible for any damage the info in your post may cause to my system.

FatBurger

Illustrious
And I'll translate that for Crash.

What he says: "I'll recap that information for you"

What he means: "Woohoo! Free post!"

:)

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
If a bios can't display the speed of the chip correctly, then either the chip speed is not set up correctly, or the chip isn't the chip it's suposed to be.

There are other tools to check out the CPU speed, and perhaps that realy was the situation with your MB, but I've never heard of that.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
there's nothing to correct. if you noticed...your cpu is called the athlon 1500+. the 1500 is a "model number", not the actual cpu speed. anyways...this is amd's flashy new nameing system thing (in my opinion, this name game thing is almost as qurky as win me).

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I think you were safe to be suspicious - that's BS. Prior to AMD XP supporting bios, a chip would be what it said on the boot screen. You can always verify thru WCPUID as well.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Depending on your system, since it reports a 1333 with your XP1500+ it is likely your motherboard bios image (software) does not fully support Athlon XP.

A compliant XP supporting bios should read Athlon XP1500+ on boot. This means that some of the goodies built into the XP (like full SSE) may not be enabled as your motherboard doesn't know they are there.

See if there is a newer bios version for your board available that supports XPs...

Other than that it is most likely your videocard or other components limiting your 3dmark score. Post your full system component list (vid card, motherboard, memory etc.) and we'll take a look!

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What I'm saying is that this information is reliable. There is so much misinformation floating around that he may have not believed what was said, so I backed it up. He didn't sound like he was buying it.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
NO worse than you making every link you saw clickable for weeks young man.

WOO HOO FREE POST!

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

FatBurger

Illustrious
I know, I'm just giving you a hard time.

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I am fairly certain that if he thinks a 1500+ processor should fun at 1500MHz, he doesn't have the faintest idea how to update a BIOS.

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>