Sign in with
Your question

athlon1500+ is shown as 1333.

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2001 8:30:32 AM

New Athlon 1500+ is shown as 1333. I have a new Athlon 1500+ chip on a K7S5A mainboard. The machine runs fine but only scores 5011 on the madonion 2000 tester used by Tom's hardware, and I would be expecting 6000+. Also the CPU is shown as a 1333 at startup. Is there anything I can do to correct this (already tried advanced setup etc), thanks in anticipation.

More about : athlon1500 shown 1333

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2001 9:06:41 AM

err it's correct because the newest Athlon XP shows figures liek 1500+ and 1800+ but they actually run at 1333 and 16XX i think respectively.. the 1500+ and 1800+ shows that both the processors perform at that speed! tho it has a lower clock speed.
November 14, 2001 9:09:12 AM

your system is showing the right thing.

AMD AthlonXP model 1500+ actually runs at 1333 MHz, and gives a P4 relative performance of 1500 or even more!

Read this <A HREF="http://athlonxp.amd.com/technicalInformation/benchmarki..." target="_new">doc</A> to get the overall idea of model numbering.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2001 9:11:56 AM

Moron or troll. Make your pick.
November 14, 2001 9:41:31 AM

3dmark is more videocard limited than cpu limited.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
November 14, 2001 2:47:32 PM

Yes. What video card do you have?

($10 says it's an MX200)

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
November 14, 2001 3:09:17 PM

A BIOS update may correct your problem(?)
(this may not be a true problem since XP1500+ actually running 1333mhz)
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2001 3:10:17 PM

Thanks for your help.
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2001 3:50:02 PM

I'll recap that information for you: a 1500+ is 1333MHz, and your 3D-Mark scores are most likely due to a low performance video card.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2001 3:54:37 PM

UltraTurk - What are you on about - Do we all have to choose if you are a moron or a troll. Well since there's no known trolls in the thread yet and your the only moron here I opt for moron :smile:

Anyway - we came accross a similar problem where I work - we were selling processors (can't remeber speed) but they were showing up as slower. We were told to tell our customers that it is because the chip came out way after the BIOS so it didn't recognise the cpu thus displaying a smaller number - It still runs at the clock speed it was sold at though. Is this BS or could there be some truth in that? I must admit I was a bit wary who I told that to.

You are responsible for any damage the info in your post may cause to my system.
November 14, 2001 4:40:35 PM

And I'll translate that for Crash.

What he says: "I'll recap that information for you"

What he means: "Woohoo! Free post!"

:) 

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
November 14, 2001 6:49:42 PM

If a bios can't display the speed of the chip correctly, then either the chip speed is not set up correctly, or the chip isn't the chip it's suposed to be.

There are other tools to check out the CPU speed, and perhaps that realy was the situation with your MB, but I've never heard of that.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet
November 14, 2001 7:54:42 PM

are you selling AMD's?

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
November 15, 2001 12:16:51 AM

there's nothing to correct. if you noticed...your cpu is called the athlon 1500+. the 1500 is a "model number", not the actual cpu speed. anyways...this is amd's flashy new nameing system thing (in my opinion, this name game thing is almost as qurky as win me).

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB
November 15, 2001 12:20:20 AM

I think you were safe to be suspicious - that's BS. Prior to AMD XP supporting bios, a chip would be what it said on the boot screen. You can always verify thru WCPUID as well.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details
November 15, 2001 12:20:37 AM

I have a feeling that this thread is the first of many on this topic. :smile:

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
November 15, 2001 12:24:13 AM

Depending on your system, since it reports a 1333 with your XP1500+ it is likely your motherboard bios image (software) does not fully support Athlon XP.

A compliant XP supporting bios should read Athlon XP1500+ on boot. This means that some of the goodies built into the XP (like full SSE) may not be enabled as your motherboard doesn't know they are there.

See if there is a newer bios version for your board available that supports XPs...

Other than that it is most likely your videocard or other components limiting your 3dmark score. Post your full system component list (vid card, motherboard, memory etc.) and we'll take a look!

a b à CPUs
November 15, 2001 1:40:55 AM

What I'm saying is that this information is reliable. There is so much misinformation floating around that he may have not believed what was said, so I backed it up. He didn't sound like he was buying it.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
November 15, 2001 4:00:02 AM

NO worse than you making every link you saw clickable for weeks young man.

WOO HOO FREE POST!

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
November 15, 2001 3:56:10 PM

I know, I'm just giving you a hard time.

November 15, 2001 7:30:27 PM

I am fairly certain that if he thinks a 1500+ processor should fun at 1500MHz, he doesn't have the faintest idea how to update a BIOS.

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>
November 15, 2001 9:22:31 PM

hmm - you've got a point there

November 15, 2001 10:46:44 PM

yep i second that!

hey... that means this is a free post too! woohoo

Why do i feel like the lone sane voice in the mental assylum?
November 16, 2001 7:15:15 AM

what's a free post? :wink:

well if luck is a lady, it explains why i have no luck :frown:
November 16, 2001 7:30:27 AM

lol bloody lol
that was
as is this :) 

free posts for all

November 16, 2001 7:46:56 AM

I will second that lol, and snag another free post woo hoo.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
November 16, 2001 7:58:22 AM

you will? cool!
all in favour say AYE

AYE

right! motion carried! more free posts!

November 16, 2001 8:20:20 AM

pooobah you bastard! you just went to faithful congradulations!, that puts you 100 more posts ahead of me.

FREE POST!

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
November 16, 2001 10:33:30 PM

yay!
woo hoo!

faithful bastard here i am!
and u can make this 101 young man ;) 

November 16, 2001 10:44:05 PM

<b>FREE POST</b>

And now for a <i>little</i> content....

AthlonXP 1500+ = AthlonXP 1.33GHz
AthlonXP 1600+ = AthlonXP 1.4GHz
AthlonXP 1800+ = AthlonXP 1.53GHz
AthlonXP 1900+ = AthlonXP 1.6GHz

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:
November 16, 2001 11:22:00 PM

I'll take a free post, thank you very much.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
November 16, 2001 11:46:51 PM

Quote:
Anyway - we came accross a similar problem where I work - we were selling processors (can't remeber speed) but they were showing up as slower. We were told to tell our customers that it is because the chip came out way after the BIOS so it didn't recognise the cpu thus displaying a smaller number - It still runs at the clock speed it was sold at though. Is this BS or could there be some truth in that? I must admit I was a bit wary who I told that to.

It's true I seen it happen before, back in the socket 7 days. some of the older bioses would only show the highest clock speed they were programmed with, although the chip/system was actually running at a higher speed then the bios would post. Verified thru several benchmarks and wcpuid. Happens alot when you take an old s7 and stick in a k6-2/3 and use a 2x multipier ( which the k6 sees as a 6x multiplier). This would give you 66.6 x 6 = 400 mhz, however the bios of the board might only know 300 max. Still the chip was running at 400 mhz.

Another Cookie? Who is going to pay my dentist bill?
November 16, 2001 11:55:19 PM

Wait! I got here late! I didn't get my free post!

errr...ummmm...nevermind....

Studies show that the human brain approaches 100 percent retention.
November 17, 2001 5:02:42 AM

content? whats that???

November 17, 2001 5:15:08 AM

Content is that creamy custard inside a Bavarian Cream doughnut.

-¤ Shut the f*ck up or go AMD ¤-
November 17, 2001 5:51:46 AM

ill tell ya what DIDNT have content today!
it was the compac bog standard harvey norman pc's they sell to newbies...
p4 1.4's & 1.5 with tnt2 & 256mb sdram...
celleron 1.1's with 128mb sdram and integrated graphics!
even duron 1.0's with the classic tnt2 M64!
woo damn hoo!

and they still costed a bucketload of cash yesh

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2001 6:40:09 AM

I was at Harvey's the other day and could not believe that people would actually fork out that much for so called "High end systems" as they call em, rofl. Its not just them, plenty of big electrical appliance places are the same.
Makes me feel happy with what I have spent on the cash deposit box err', I mean machine under my desk!
I felt like telling people they were being ripped off, but I reckon if a fool wants to offload their cash let them coz they wont listen anyway. They will be back complaining within 6 months after they have worked out why it has crappy sound and graphics, and having trouble with newer hardware due to elcheapo MB's. And thoroughly p1ssed off with customer service.

But hey "it cost alot and they said it was a P4 /or Athlon so its has to be good."

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:
November 17, 2001 8:29:59 AM

hell yeah
AU$3800 for a pentium4 1.5 and sdram? u gotta be kidding
AU$5000 for a pentium4 1.5 and rdram & geforce2gts...
better... but for that i could get an xp1800+ and a geforce3 and 512mb ddr with craploads left over!

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2001 9:13:27 AM

For 5k au I'm sure I could build a 2Ghz P4 and a 1.4GhzAMD as well, but hey someone must be buying them.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:
!