G

Ok this isn't the right section but there's no one around the sound - nothings movin'. So I thought I'ed ask you guys.

Has any one ever heard of the Echo Mia sound card. I'm after a system which I can record from my mixer into the computer and have been informed thats this is probably the best for what I can afford - does anyone have any info or links which I can read up on.

Ta.

Also do you know if it will fit on an Asus A7v with a 1Gig Athlon.

Thanks

Specs so far.

asus a7v (what chipset works best with this?)
Athlon 1gig
Echo Mia sound card (pending info given)

You are responsible for any damage the info in your post may cause to my system.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
asus a7v (what chipset works best with this?)
the one Asus soldered onto the PCB is usually the best one to stick to, KT133 in your case (100/200FSB max).

Do you have the a7v (not 133?) already - if you are buying I would strongly recommend against getting an old a7v mobo...

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

G

I dont have one yet - I was going to buy it because of the o'clocking ease it reviewed in THG. Which mobo would you suggest. It seems every mobo I suggest I get told to stay away. I'm gonna try and work out the best system for me. What mobo would you reccomend for a)stability b)easy to upgrade c)compatiblity issues d)mild o'clocking

You are responsible for any damage the info in your post may cause to my system.

juicebykurt

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Are you saying he should get the older A7V and not the A7V133? If so, then why? Isn't the only difference the upgrade from 200 to 266FSB?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
iwill kk266r-plus
loads of features.
lots of overclocking potential
high stability
onboard raid
quality onboard sound that can do eax & 5.1
blah blah blah.

Why do i feel like the lone sane voice in the mental assylum?

G

I don't need onboard anything cos I want seperate cards which usually have more features. but wtf is an iwill kk266r+ nerver heard of these.

Is there a newer version of the A7V out? rather than the kt133. I'm not really interested in raid right now. BTW does raid allow 2 hdd's to be plugged into the mobo. How does this work in simple terms. Only ever used standard boards. And they were like really old. So big you could eat your dinner, tea, supper and breakfast all at the same time off them.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Right - the A7V133 is the update A7V - it sports the KT133A chipset (133/266FSB and PC133 SD-RAM). It can be had with onboard RAID (promise controller) and onboard AC-97 audio. It can also be had bare.

The board is a solid, fast SD-RAM board. The latest iWill is faster, but probably more expensive right now.

Because memory prices binned, most people now only look at DDR memory boards for Athlons/XPs. DDR memory is cheaper than SD-RAM was 6 months ago practically!

The king boards in performance terms are ones sporting nForce 420 (nVidia) chipsets - largely not available yet, and kt266a (the a is very important, the kt266 is a dog). Asus, EPOX and MSI all have kt266a boards out and all _should_ be very fast, but I haven't seen the Asus reviewed yet (A7V266E) The MSI looks solid and is available in a couple of guises. The delux is the K7T266 PRO2-RU with RAID and 6 USB (incl USB2.0). The EPOX 8KHA+ is the one most reviews have used for the Athlon XP.

Note - to my knowledge NONE of these board will/can feature correct thermal protection for AthlonXP/MP - I think Gigabyte have the first board that will, and it isn't out yet. See various threads for more details of the implications.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Nope - I'm saying he should if possible avoid the A7V like it was covered in dog poo.

G

How much are we looking at for these boards.

a)K7T266 PRO2-RU
b)EPOX 8KHA+

Don't like MSI - we supply them where I work and ther'e naff.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
The Epox board is around 65~80$ I like it. It's stable and very cheap.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Nothing, in its day, but why would anyone buy and build one today? If you've already got one - okay great - but don't buy one - that's silly.

G

Ok can I use the EPOX with AMD chips - if so which models?

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Epox EP-8KHA+ would be the one I'd recommend. People are getting a lot of overclock potential on that. Lising as low as $100 on pricewatch. Make sure it is the '+' i.e. kt266<b>a</b>.

G

EPOX - just been warned off them cause their nickname is poxy apparently. I'm still leaning towards the A7V unless you can prove to me other wise.

G

I have the 8kha (not the +) and it's a GREAT BOARD. Super stable easy to overclock. It's great, so I would suggest going with the 8kha+ since the kt266a chipset is a step up. Epox is great and reliable and also inexpensive. That's where I'd put my $.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
WHICH a7v? there are about 500 of them (well, maybe a few less). The actual a7v is a 100FSB Athlon supporting board that is 2 years out of date.

If you mean the a7v266<b>e</b> then it should be a great board.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
techie2001, take a look at this: <A HREF="http://www.echoaudio.com/athlon.htm" target="_new">http://www.echoaudio.com/athlon.htm</A>

wow, I was gonna recomend a AM3 but some AMD users have a tough time(hit or miss) getting these cards to work, hmmmm I wonder why?

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
The ECHO MIA is a great card with fast DSP and a good softsynth included, but it laks on the MIDI side and no ASIO. If the MIA's features are the ones you are looking for it is excellent, but M-Adio have comparable priced cards that are a more all round oriented, but if I get you correctly you probably have a dedicated MIDI card anyways.

DEV

Only users loose drugs!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Meltdown, if you are gonna try to get people not to buy athlons, your links should NOT praise the athlon.

Please go back to the FUGGER school of FUD, and retake FUD link posting 101. Thankyou.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
matisaro, get back to work! how you can post bs wearing a bunny suit is beyond me.

fyi, he posted a Q about chipsets and I posted a link to a doc with chipsets that don't work and recommending ones that do, there's is nothing here about the Athlon cpu, it is just an after thought.

imo, the AMD platform sucks big time for any kind of profession work be it Sound, Video or Animation, in terms of wasted time, tech support and pure aggravation.

but what would you know? between the time wasted at fooljitsu/AMD(ha!) and playing UT or Serious Sam what's left? oh, I know THGC.

dude, you still have that $10 in your pocket?

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
AMDMeltdown, when was the last time you actually tried working on an Athlon PC? If you do, you'll see it's 100% stable!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor