Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 freezing after login

Last response: in Windows 7
February 8, 2013 4:35:50 PM

Hello,

I've looked through the forums to try and find an answer to my problem, but the closest thing I came to was somebody with a freezing Windows 7 who, after uninstalling MSE, had their computer working perfectly.

I am 100% sure that this happened because I recently restored my computer after using Windows 8 for a while. I had backed up everything to a drive, then I went through with the desktop installation of Windows 8. After using it for about a week, I decided that it wasn't for me, and I reverted back to 7 from the backup I'd made. After it went through the entire process, I rebooted, and found that the boot time was MUCH longer than it was before I'd put Windows 8 on there. Mind you, I'm booting from an Intel SSD. Whereas before using Windows 8 I had a boot time of, at most, 30 seconds, now it's taking about a minute and a half to get to the login screen.

Now here's the real problem: Once I login, if I try to do anything, approximately 5-10 seconds after I'm at the desktop, everything except for the mouse freezes. This means that whatever window I have open at the time becomes unresponsive. Windows Explorer won't even respond. If I try right-clicking, nothing happens. Ctrl-Alt-Del, nothing. Ctrl-Shift-Esc, nothing. All the while the cursor is still able to move around the screen.

I have more or less ruled out hardware problems, as once Windows has started and everything becomes un-frozen, everything seems to work as normal. I think it had something to do with my re-image.

If I had the resources, I would probably run Startup Repair by using the original install disk, but I'm at college right now and it wouldn't be easy to convince my parents to ship me our only Windows 7 install disks.

What do you think the problem is?

BTW, I just set up my signature to show my system specs... so they should be there.

More about : windows freezing login

Best solution

a c 255 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 8, 2013 5:19:16 PM

Go here to get the ISO for the version of Win 7 you are using:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-is...

Burn to DVD. Perform the Startup repair.

However, did you wipe the SSD before you wrote the Win 7 image to it?

Honestly, you might be better off in the long run performing a clean install of Win 7. Just something to think about.
February 8, 2013 5:53:17 PM

COLGeek said:
Go here to get the ISO for the version of Win 7 you are using:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-is...

Burn to DVD. Perform the Startup repair.

However, did you wipe the SSD before you wrote the Win 7 image to it?

Honestly, you might be better off in the long run performing a clean install of Win 7. Just something to think about.

I'll certainly give that a try. But before I do, do you know anybody who's used these ISOs before? Are you sure that they're safe?

And no, I didn't wipe the disk before I booted from the re-image disk, but it did mention that it would format the drive, and I had to uncheck my big storage disk from the list before I let it get on with re-imaging.
m
l
Related resources
a c 255 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 8, 2013 6:06:42 PM

Those ISOs are the official Microsoft ISOs, They are safe and sound.
m
l
February 18, 2013 2:09:39 AM

COLGeek said:
Those ISOs are the official Microsoft ISOs, They are safe and sound.

So I've tried a couple of things, and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the speed of my storage drives and their slow initial startup scan. I don't know why they're only now starting to give me a slow startup, but maybe a reformat will do the trick.

Thanks for your help, you sure are helping me get closer to figuring out what's wrong with this thing. I suppose you've got the best answer.
m
l
February 18, 2013 2:10:06 AM

Best answer selected by taizo.
m
l
!