1.2mhz AMD showing up as 900mhz

juicebykurt

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
I ordered a 1.2mhz AMD chip and a A7V133a ASUS mobo. The mobo bios is version 105a and it is registering 900mhz. Did I get ripped off or is there a flaw causing my mobo to think it is a 900mhz instead of 1.2mhz? (This is straight out of the box without having messed with the jumpers.)

FatBurger

Illustrious
Neither. All 133/266 Tbirds register as 100/200 chips when they are first detected. Just set your jumper/BIOS to 133, and you'll be ok.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

juicebykurt

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
LOL. I looked through the forum for and hour before I posted and I just saw a few threads back dealing with this. Sorry.
Anyway, in the BIOS I changed the "CPU Frequency" from 100mhz to 133mhz and it now shows up as 1200mhz. GREAT! This was what you mean right? I am just a little cautious because I haven't altered those settings before. Thanks for you help!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeup, that's what I meant. Glad it's working for you.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

juicebykurt

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
I have another question while I am on here. My HEC 300AR AMD psu is pretty loud. I just got a Powerman 250 AMD psu with an Inwin case and it is MUCH quieter. Could I get away with using that 250wt psu with my 1.2 AMD processor? I don't overclock (althougth I might someday) and my system isn't very power intensive...
1.2 AMD
Asus a7v133a
RIVA TNT2 m64
NIC card
Maxtor 40Gb
Plextor CDRW
Soundblaster Live 5.1

Would it be too risky to use the 250wt?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Try it. Install Via Hardware Monitor so you can keep track of the voltages, and if they drop below what they're supposed to be (12v at 11.85v, for instance), then put the 300w back in.

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
I Know he already got it resolved but I couldn't help posting this...

May be it's an earlier version of AthlonXP 1200+ @ 900Mhz.

J/K
KG.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
250W is really on the low side, but with the TnT and your specs you _may_ get away with it. Don't be surprised if you get system lockups or crashes though....

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

juicebykurt

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Well, I decided to stick with the 300 after adding up my wattage using the PC Power and Cooling site. Which is okay since the most noise was actually coming from my CPU fan. Anyone have a preference for a really quiet CPU fan that is easy on the bank account? I am stuck with a Coolermaster and the Volcano II that I got was even louder.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The stock heatsink which comes with retail athlons is perfectly quiet and perfectly fine cooling.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
235 V or W? It will work if you have very low system specifications and few peripherals.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well the coolermasters are pretty quiet,
and my winfop32-1 isnt too bad with a 4500rpm fan.
generally look for a mid range aluminium cpu cooler with a 60mm fan with a speed below 4500 or so and you should be right.

Why do i feel like the lone sane voice in the mental assylum?

G

Mat.. you should make that statement your signature.. that must have been the 158.823th time you said that ;-)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
If people would believe him then he wouldn't have to say it all the time.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

G

No if you want real quiet then go leave in the north pole. Then you don't need any cooling :)

(But be sure to liberally coat the moving parts of your drives in oil to stop them freezing)

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :smile:

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I was going to mention that but he said he wanted an inexpensive cooling solution... which water cooling is not. It'll cost you around $135 for a decent setup.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Every day I check posts and yet another which heatsink.

First line is always, "im not an overclocker or anything....but."

But the fud put out by anti amd folk and even performance amd fans makes them afraid to use the heatsink which COMES with their processor. I find it amazing that people would believe amd would sell its cpus with inadequate cooling, as if the heatsink is a large part of the products price??.

I have debated changing my sig to that, but I like my sig...however.

::realizes his tbird is no longer @1.5 and its his wifes now::

Yahiko a question, when you said if people would believe me, were you saying I was ranting about it too much, or that if people would just listen I wouldnt have to say it all the time?

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

juicebykurt

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Well, I would assume that the stock fan is generic and what respectible pc builder would want a generic part regardless if they overclock or not. Also, I would assume that since it is a stock fan it probably isn't on the quiet side... even if it cools properly. BUT, since these are assumptions, I asked on the forum to get some first hand experience. And, even though I don't OC now, I would like the capability if I choose to experiment.
By the way... I tested that Coolermaster (1.2 TB) out and it was around 59C. idle. Looks like I'll have to go with something else anyway. Has anyone tried those cool looking, orange "Flower" HSF from QuietPC?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The retail fan is designed to provide adequate cooling as quietly as possible, and it is quiet.

If one does not overclock, one does not need to use anything but the retail fan.

It is not cheap and shoddy, it is as well built as any other heatsink, it will die one day, but so will any other 50 dollar heatsink.

Any more questions?

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

TRENDING THREADS