Win7 to 8 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonborn1337

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
If I purchase a copy of Windows 7 now or in the near future, will I get a free or discounted upgrade to Windows 8 when it releases? Note: it is retail Win7, not a laptop with Win7 preinstalled.

Solution
I have been using Windows 8 as my main OS since the Developers Preview and it is every bit as good if not better than Windows 7. I do far more than just e-mail and don't really watch YouTube at all. My rig is mostly for gaming and out of almost 400 games I have about three that have problems with Window 8. The majority of my games perform better on Windows 8 than they did on Windows 7.

As far as discounts on Windows 8 Microsoft is offering a discount for anyone owning a license to Windows XP up to Windows 7 to Upgrade to Windows 8 for $40 not a bad price.

jackattack223

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
You don't want windows 8 unless all you do is watch YouTube videos and email if you ask me. But if you are a beginner with computers I would get it. Yes you can get discounts but it depends on which version you buy: starter home basic, home premium etc...

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

really....?

I have been using Windows 8 for all the same tasks that i would windows 7 for the past month now and have found it to be just as good if not better than Windows 7 and I do much more than use it for just email and YouTube.

but for upgrade i believe it is only on new systems. but they will have cheap upgrades either way for a while.

I have been using Windows 8 as my main OS since the Developers Preview and it is every bit as good if not better than Windows 7. I do far more than just e-mail and don't really watch YouTube at all. My rig is mostly for gaming and out of almost 400 games I have about three that have problems with Window 8. The majority of my games perform better on Windows 8 than they did on Windows 7.

As far as discounts on Windows 8 Microsoft is offering a discount for anyone owning a license to Windows XP up to Windows 7 to Upgrade to Windows 8 for $40 not a bad price.

Solution

dragonborn1337

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Well I will use my rig for gaming, and I have seen improved gaming benchmarks in Windows 8, compared to 7. I also like the improved boot times, and other small improvements. I don't like the new Start menu(or whatever it's called in Win8), but I heard you can turn off Metro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS