David

I am thinking about buying a Dimension 8400 and would like to know before I
order if the Raid drive is worth the extra money over the ATA drive?
Also is the Dual Drives: 16xDVD-ROM DRIVE + 48x CD-RW Drive OK for burning
and editing video?
Thanks in advance for any help.
david

"david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am thinking about buying a Dimension 8400 and would like to know before I
> order if the Raid drive is worth the extra money over the ATA drive?
> Also is the Dual Drives: 16xDVD-ROM DRIVE + 48x CD-RW Drive OK for burning
> and editing video?
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> david

One of Fred Langa's recent newsletters had the following two items regarding
RAID in desktops.

1) RAID Issues
2) Why I Don't Use RAID

http://langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-09-16.htm#1

Some "reader follow up" can be seen here.

2) RAID-Users Speak Up

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-09-20.htm#2

I offer this strictly for informational purposes as I coincidentally read it
shortly before reading your post. I personally have no opinion on the
subject as I have zero personal experience with RAID so please take it for
"what it's worth."

I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

David

"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
message news:2rrmfeF1e4pm9U1@uni-berlin.de...
> "david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I am thinking about buying a Dimension 8400 and would like to know before
> > order if the Raid drive is worth the extra money over the ATA drive?
> > Also is the Dual Drives: 16xDVD-ROM DRIVE + 48x CD-RW Drive OK for
burning
> > and editing video?
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> > david
> >

> One of Fred Langa's recent newsletters had the following two items
regarding
> RAID in desktops.
>
> 1) RAID Issues
> 2) Why I Don't Use RAID
>
> http://langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-09-16.htm#1
>
> Some "reader follow up" can be seen here.
>
> 2) RAID-Users Speak Up
>
> http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-09-20.htm#2
>
> I offer this strictly for informational purposes as I coincidentally read
it
> shortly before reading your post. I personally have no opinion on the
> subject as I have zero personal experience with RAID so please take it for
> "what it's worth."

> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :)
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.

Thank you HillBillyBuddhist for you quick and helpful subjestions. The
articles sure seem to be against RAID.
I was thinking about a RAID drive because at first glance it looked like two
seperate drives but it seems to be only one.
with two drive letters.

> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
> message news:2rrmfeF1e4pm9U1@uni-berlin.de...
>> "david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I am thinking about buying a Dimension 8400 and would like to know
>> >before
>> > order if the Raid drive is worth the extra money over the ATA drive?
>> > Also is the Dual Drives: 16xDVD-ROM DRIVE + 48x CD-RW Drive OK for
> burning
>> > and editing video?
>> > Thanks in advance for any help.
>> > david
>> >

>> One of Fred Langa's recent newsletters had the following two items
> regarding
>> RAID in desktops.
>>
>> 1) RAID Issues
>> 2) Why I Don't Use RAID
>>
>> http://langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-09-16.htm#1
>>
>> Some "reader follow up" can be seen here.
>>
>> 2) RAID-Users Speak Up
>>
>> http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-09-20.htm#2
>>
>> I offer this strictly for informational purposes as I coincidentally read
> it
>> shortly before reading your post. I personally have no opinion on the
>> subject as I have zero personal experience with RAID so please take it
>> for
>> "what it's worth."
>>
>> --
>>
>> I was just trying to help.
>> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
>> advice herein.
>> No warranty is expressed or implied.
>> Your mileage may vary.
>> See store for details. :)
>>
>> Remove shoes to E-mail.
>
> Thank you HillBillyBuddhist for you quick and helpful subjestions. The
> articles sure seem to be against RAID.
> I was thinking about a RAID drive because at first glance it looked like
> two
> seperate drives but it seems to be only one.
> with two drive letters.
> david

Remember, your options on the 8400 are RAID 0 and RAID 1. Both involve two
separate hard disks, but RAID 0 (striping) writes the data across two disks
AS IF they were one. RAID 1 (mirroring) creates two identical hard disks,
thereby providing a backup should one disk fail.

Google RAID arrays and you'll want to read up on these two levels of RAID
only, as they're what you'll be offered on the 8400.

http://www.backupcentral.com/high-availability.html

Stew

No need for striping. Dangerous too. Lose (drive goes bad) or drop (drive
OK but disappears from the stripe set) one drive lose everything.
Use RAID for mirroring or don't use it. My 2 cents.

David

> "david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
> > message news:2rrmfeF1e4pm9U1@uni-berlin.de...
> >> "david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > burning
> >> >

> >> One of Fred Langa's recent newsletters had the following two items
> > regarding
> >> RAID in desktops.
> >>
> >> 1) RAID Issues
> >> 2) Why I Don't Use RAID
> >>
> >> http://langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-09-16.htm#1
> >>
> >> Some "reader follow up" can be seen here.
> >>
> >> 2) RAID-Users Speak Up
> >>
> >> http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-09-20.htm#2
> >>
> >> I offer this strictly for informational purposes as I coincidentally
read
> > it
> >> shortly before reading your post. I personally have no opinion on the
> >> subject as I have zero personal experience with RAID so please take it
> >> for
> >> "what it's worth."
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> I was just trying to help.
> >> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions
or
> >> advice herein.
> >> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> >> Your mileage may vary.
> >> See store for details. :)
> >>
> >> Remove shoes to E-mail.
> >
> > Thank you HillBillyBuddhist for you quick and helpful subjestions. The
> > articles sure seem to be against RAID.
> > I was thinking about a RAID drive because at first glance it looked like
> > two
> > seperate drives but it seems to be only one.
> > with two drive letters.
> > david
> >

> Remember, your options on the 8400 are RAID 0 and RAID 1. Both involve
two
> separate hard disks, but RAID 0 (striping) writes the data across two
disks
> AS IF they were one. RAID 1 (mirroring) creates two identical hard disks,
> thereby providing a backup should one disk fail.
>
> Google RAID arrays and you'll want to read up on these two levels of RAID
> only, as they're what you'll be offered on the 8400.
>
> http://www.backupcentral.com/high-availability.html
>

> Stew

Thank you Stew for you quick and helpful reply. I read the web sight you
posted and
now know a little more about the RAID drives.

David

"schnoopy" <schnoopy@loppy.com> wrote in message
> No need for striping. Dangerous too. Lose (drive goes bad) or drop
(drive
> OK but disappears from the stripe set) one drive lose everything.
> Use RAID for mirroring or don't use it. My 2 cents.

Thanks schnoopy for you quick and helpful subjection.
david

The organic entity known as HillBillyBuddhist communicated the
following:

>>I am thinking about buying a Dimension 8400 and would like to know
>>before I
>> order if the Raid drive is worth the extra money over the ATA drive?
>
> One of Fred Langa's recent newsletters had the following two items
> regarding RAID in desktops.
>
> 1) RAID Issues
> 2) Why I Don't Use RAID

Some people have fear of flying without ever having flown.

Fred Langa seems to have a similar inhibition.

The organic entity known as schnoopy communicated the following:

> No need for striping. Dangerous too. Lose (drive goes bad) or drop
> (drive OK but disappears from the stripe set) one drive lose
> everything. Use RAID for mirroring or don't use it. My 2 cents.

True. The chance of losing your data is higher than when you use one disk.
But the danger of one drive failing and losing "everything" is always
present. That's what back-ups are for. Mirroring is interesting when you
need in all cases to have your data present (servers). For desktops
striping is the better option as it returns better performance.

My 2 eurocents ;)

Hans

Just not worth it from my perspective. The preformance/risk is too high.

Tom

> Just not worth it from my perspective. The preformance/risk is too high.

The risk is usually minimal if you keep good backups which one must do
anyway.

> Tom
> "LaVacheQuiRit" <i.dont.want.spam@xs4all.invalid> wrote in message
> > The organic entity known as schnoopy communicated the following:
> >
> >> No need for striping. Dangerous too. Lose (drive goes bad) or drop
> >> (drive OK but disappears from the stripe set) one drive lose
> >> everything. Use RAID for mirroring or don't use it. My 2 cents.
> >
> > True. The chance of losing your data is higher than when you use one
disk.
> > But the danger of one drive failing and losing "everything" is always
> > present. That's what back-ups are for. Mirroring is interesting when you
> > need in all cases to have your data present (servers). For desktops
> > striping is the better option as it returns better performance.
> >
> > My 2 eurocents ;)
> >
> > Hans

And mirroring the drive is an online backup.... dabbling with large USB 2.0
drives for offline right now.

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

> > Just not worth it from my perspective. The preformance/risk is too
high.

> The risk is usually minimal if you keep good backups which one must do
> anyway.
>
> > Tom
> > "LaVacheQuiRit" <i.dont.want.spam@xs4all.invalid> wrote in message
> > > The organic entity known as schnoopy communicated the following:

> > > True. The chance of losing your data is higher than when you use one
> disk.
> > > But the danger of one drive failing and losing "everything" is always
> > > present. That's what back-ups are for. Mirroring is interesting when
you
> > > need in all cases to have your data present (servers). For desktops
> > > striping is the better option as it returns better performance.
> > >
> > > My 2 eurocents ;)
> > >
> > > Hans

David

"david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am thinking about buying a Dimension 8400 and would like to know before
> order if the Raid drive is worth the extra money over the ATA drive?
> Also is the Dual Drives: 16xDVD-ROM DRIVE + 48x CD-RW Drive OK for burning
> and editing video?
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> david

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I am still confused about a RAID
Drive though. As I understand the mirroring drive just copies the other
drive? and the striping drive is like two separate drives?
Is the RAID drive two separate drives or only one acting as two, if so what
is the difference between RAID and a partition drive?
You will have to excuse be for being so confused but I am a senior citizen
and not as fast
as I once was.
Thanks again for all your help.

> "david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I am thinking about buying a Dimension 8400 and would like to know
before
> > order if the Raid drive is worth the extra money over the ATA drive?
> > Also is the Dual Drives: 16xDVD-ROM DRIVE + 48x CD-RW Drive OK for
burning
> > and editing video?
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> > david
>
> Thank you all for your helpful replies. I am still confused about a RAID
> Drive though. As I understand the mirroring drive just copies the other
> drive?

Writes to both, can read from both as well. Two 120GB drives in a mirror
will give you 120GB of useable space. The other 120Gb is a copy. Each
drive can stand on it's own. Lose one drive and you still have the other.

> and the striping drive is like two separate drives?
> Is the RAID drive two separate drives or only one acting as two,

Striping is two drives acting as one drive. Two 120GB drives will give you
240GB of useable space. Your files (pieces of files) will be spread between
the two drives. Lose one drive and you've lost everything.

> if so what is the difference between RAID and a partition drive?

Partioning is a way of dividing up a drive and creating several "logical"
drives. One drive could have three (or more) partitions that show up as C:,
D: & E: for instance.

> You will have to excuse be for being so confused but I am a senior citizen
and not as fast as I once was.
> Thanks again for all your help.
> david

No problemo! Good to see you still learning and using the old noggin'...
;-)

"schnoopy" wrote:
> Striping is two drives acting as one drive.
> Two 120GB drives will give you 240GB of
> useable space. Your files (pieces of files)
> will be spread between the two drives.
> Lose one drive and you've lost everything.

And the advantage, of course, is that data
that is striped across 2 drives can be put on
the IDE channel faster than one drive could do
it. The actual speedup depends on lots of
variables, but it's nowhere close to double the
speed of one drive. This RAID technique, known
as RAID Level 0, is used a lot by gamers to
speed up their HD accesses.

*TimDaniels*

David

"david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I am thinking about buying a Dimension 8400 and would like to know
before
> > order if the Raid drive is worth the extra money over the ATA drive?
> > Also is the Dual Drives: 16xDVD-ROM DRIVE + 48x CD-RW Drive OK for
burning
> > and editing video?
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> > david
>
> Thank you all for your helpful replies. I am still confused about a RAID
> Drive though. As I understand the mirroring drive just copies the other
> drive? and the striping drive is like two separate drives?
> Is the RAID drive two separate drives or only one acting as two, if so
what
> is the difference between RAID and a partition drive?
> You will have to excuse be for being so confused but I am a senior citizen
> and not as fast
> as I once was.
> Thanks again for all your help.
> david

Thanks again schnoopy and TimDaniels for you very helpful replies. I am not
a game player and I will have a backup CD drive on the computer so I will
most likely be better of with one of the less exspence ATA drives and use a
partition as I was looking for a C drive and a D drive independent of eack
other.
Thanks again.
david

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> "schnoopy" wrote:
> > Striping is two drives acting as one drive.
> > Two 120GB drives will give you 240GB of
> > useable space. Your files (pieces of files)
> > will be spread between the two drives.
> > Lose one drive and you've lost everything.
>

> And the advantage, of course, is that data
> that is striped across 2 drives can be put on
> the IDE channel faster than one drive could do
> it. The actual speedup depends on lots of
> variables, but it's nowhere close to double the
> speed of one drive.

No, it is exactly twice the speed of a single drive for large contiguous
data transfers.

> This RAID technique, known
> as RAID Level 0, is used a lot by gamers to
> speed up their HD accesses.

Not really.

No it is not EXACTLY twice. There's overhead associated with striping, so
it is clearly less than 100%.

You speak with authority.

But seem to be frequently wrong.

> No it is not EXACTLY twice. There's overhead associated with striping, so
> it is clearly less than 100%.

WRONG, not for streaming like big file/video I/O. It's exactly twice. It's
physics.
Two drives have the same number of user sectors per track and both are
spinning at the same RPM. Both are delivering data at that speed gives 2X.
There is no place for anykind of overhead.

> You speak with authority.
>
> But seem to be frequently wrong.

Usually right you mean. It's just that you frequently need correction.

> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> >>

> >> And the advantage, of course, is that data
> >> that is striped across 2 drives can be put on
> >> the IDE channel faster than one drive could do
> >> it. The actual speedup depends on lots of
> >> variables, but it's nowhere close to double the
> >> speed of one drive.
> >
> > No, it is exactly twice the speed of a single drive for large
contiguous
> > data transfers.
> >
> >> This RAID technique, known
> >> as RAID Level 0, is used a lot by gamers to
> >> speed up their HD accesses.
> >
> > Not really.

There's no overhead in breaking the stream up into two pieces and
determining which drive to send which pieces?

Tee hee.

Idiot

> There's no overhead in breaking the stream up into two pieces and
> determining which drive to send which pieces?

That was not the issue cretin. You said RAID 0 couldn't stream at 2X speed.
You are WRONG. RAID 0 does stream at 2X speed and it does take a small
amount of extra processing to keep that stream flowing at 2X speed. For
software/firmware RAID like that on current mobos and low end Promise cards
that processing is done by the host x86 CPU. For hardware RAID that
processing is done by an onboard uP like on cards from www.3ware.com.
Either way they stream RAID 0 for two drives at 2X speed.

Get a clue. You are out of your depth.

> Tee hee.
>
> Idiot
> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> >> No it is not EXACTLY twice. There's overhead associated with striping,
> >> so
> >> it is clearly less than 100%.
> >
> > WRONG, not for streaming like big file/video I/O. It's exactly twice.
> > It's
> > physics.
> > Two drives have the same number of user sectors per track and both are
> > spinning at the same RPM. Both are delivering data at that speed gives
> > 2X.
> > There is no place for anykind of overhead.
> >
> >> You speak with authority.
> >>
> >> But seem to be frequently wrong.
> >
> > Usually right you mean. It's just that you frequently need correction.
> >
> >> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

> > contiguous

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Ron Reaugh wrote:

>>No it is not EXACTLY twice. There's overhead associated with striping, so
>>it is clearly less than 100%.
>
> WRONG, not for streaming like big file/video I/O. It's exactly twice. It's
> physics.
> Two drives have the same number of user sectors per track and both are
> spinning at the same RPM. Both are delivering data at that speed gives 2X.
> There is no place for anykind of overhead.

God, what you don't know could fill the Grand Canyon!

The organic entity known as Tom Scales communicated the following:

> There's no overhead in breaking the stream up into two pieces and
> determining which drive to send which pieces?

The speed of the slowest component determines the speed of the total. The
speed of the disks is by far the slowest factor n the equation. Doubling
this speed doubles up the total speed. The presumed overhead, even if it
existed, in the controller wouldn't make any difference since the
controller can run circles around the discs.

> Tee hee.
>
> Idiot

well ... makes you wonder who qualifies for this title.

--
Hans

Sorry, but there is no way it runs at 2x. I don't have the energy to argue
when you're unclear on the concepts.

> The organic entity known as Tom Scales communicated the following:
>
>> There's no overhead in breaking the stream up into two pieces and
>> determining which drive to send which pieces?
>
> The speed of the slowest component determines the speed of the total. The
> speed of the disks is by far the slowest factor n the equation. Doubling
> this speed doubles up the total speed. The presumed overhead, even if it
> existed, in the controller wouldn't make any difference since the
> controller can run circles around the discs.
>

>> Tee hee.
>>
>> Idiot
>
> well ... makes you wonder who qualifies for this title.
>
> --
> Hans

The organic entity known as Tom Scales communicated the following:
>>> There's no overhead in breaking the stream up into two pieces and
>>> determining which drive to send which pieces?
>>
>> The speed of the slowest component determines the speed of the total.
>> The speed of the disks is by far the slowest factor n the equation.
>> Doubling this speed doubles up the total speed. The presumed
>> overhead, even if it existed, in the controller wouldn't make any
>> difference since the controller can run circles around the discs.
>>
> Sorry, but there is no way it runs at 2x. I don't have the energy to
> argue when you're unclear on the concepts.

I am not surpised you don't have the energy.

And for people who are really interested in benchmarks, I give this link
(out of many):

http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20000329/fastrak66-15.html

--
Hans