bios update

G

I think my bios needs to be upgraded to accept an athlon 1.1ghz. However I am having difficulty getting hold of a copy of the flash program needed to perform the upgrade. My bios is an Award bios I can find out the bios string if this would help. So I need the flash program or someone familiar with this sort of procedure to guide me.

svol

Champion
Which motherboard do you have? Motherboard manufacturers often offer programs to flash your BIOS.

<font color=red> Hot outside? </font color=red><font color=blue> Cold inside! </font color=blue> :cool:

G

Need more detail.

Post that bios string, tell us who makes your board, what model it is and then we'll probably be able to help.

In the meantime though I suggest maybe you try www.unicore.com or www.wimsbios.com

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :smile:

G

i flashed my first time, and i succeeded...
if you are not confident get someone to help you...
go to ur motherboard website and check it out..

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Before you flash, get the IOSS BIOS SAVIOR. This is a great device, only costs about $20. It is a second, switch selectable bios for your motherboard. With this installed, a failed flash does not destroy your motherboard. Just flick a switch, and you are back to using your original BIOS. It was worth every penny just for the peace of mind.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Current BIOSes (Award, Phoenix and AMI) have a protected boot block. Which means you have to explicitly tell the flash program to overwrite it. As long as you don't do this even if you manage to corrupt a BIOS flash the system should still boot from a floppy disk. There might not be any video (unless you have an ISA slot and an ISA videocard on hand). However, a bootable floppy disk with the flash program, BIOS file, and an Autoexec.bat file configured to run the flash program unattended will be able to restore a working BIOS. (See the link below for a description of the procedure).

<A HREF="http://www.sysopt.com/articles/recoverbios/" target="_new">http://www.sysopt.com/articles/recoverbios/</A>

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Hey - that could be a great recovery option. The only problem is, what about systems without an ISA slot I wonder? If you only have AGP or PCI, how can you do this? Also, many boards do not boot without a video card installed - I wonder what happens?

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

G

my bios string is 8363-686a-6a6lmm4ac-00. The board is a micro-star board model number ms-6330 and i think it is the ms-6330 lite board.

please help - thanks

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got it at www.mwave.com. One big plus is you can have two BIOS versions present, and can change from one bios to the other by throwing a switch. So, if a new bios has a bug or performs poorly, just flick a switch, reboot, and you are back to the last version.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Go to <A HREF="http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/socket_a.php" target="_new">msi bios download</A>, there's two versions of ms-6330, ms-6330 lite and ms-6330 le3, grap the right one for your motherboard, and download the BIOS file (usually cames with flash program), and becareful.....

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You need to set up your recovery disk the correct way. It just has to be bootable and contain 3 additional files, a good BIOS file, the flash program, and an Autoexec.bat file.
If you have a problem you stick it in the drive, boot the system, and wait for the flash to finish. You don't need a display.

For the Award BIOS the Autoexec.bat just contains the following line.

a:\awd802.exe backup.bin /py /Sb /sn /cc /cp /cd /R

where

Awd802.exe is the name of the flash program.

Backup.bin is the BIOS file

Lastly, all the options, including those that allow the flash program to operate without the user having to type anything (useful when no video display is available).

Phoenix and AMI BIOSes would have the same procedure but the command line options are different.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>