Question about Duron 800...

G

Hi all. >_<

I'm a new member of tomshardwareguidemessageboard.....(...)

My little brother's computer just got broken down and I think it's time for upgrade.

I'm thinking about getting Duron 800 Mhz with ECS k7S5A motherboard. Is this a good choice? I could buy both of them for U$100, and I think this is a good deal. (I know. I can get Duron 1.1 Ghz but I'm out of money right now)Do you think is this a good value system or should I look for another one?

Also, it seems like I have to buy a new case, too... and I heard that not all of 300W are same. Is this true? And if it is, what power supply unit should I get?

Thank you very much for reading this and hope I can see some helpful replies soon. >_< See ya!

Shiki.

P.S I almost forgot.... My brother currently has 192 MB PC-100 Ram... would it be all right if I use these ram with duron? Sorry for asking too many questions;

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm a new member of tomshardwareguidemessageboard.....(...)

My little brother's computer just got broken down and I think it's time for upgrade.
breakdowns seem to be rampant in your household, looks like it's time for a new space bar.

I'm thinking about getting Duron 800 Mhz with ECS k7S5A motherboard. Is this a good choice? I could buy both of them for U$100, and I think this is a good deal. (I know. I can get Duron 1.1 Ghz but I'm out of money right now)Do you think is this a good value system or should I look for another one?
If you mean 100 for board, and another 100 for the chip you're getting screwed. For 110 you can get a duron 950 w/ hsf, and a k7v board.

Also, it seems like I have to buy a new case, too... and I heard that not all of 300W are same. Is this true? And if it is, what power supply unit should I get?
Yes it's true. 300'd be ok if your bro.'s only got 1hd and 1cd, 1fan, etc...to be on the safe side i'd go w/ a 350.

P.S I almost forgot.... My brother currently has 192 MB PC-100 Ram... would it be all right if I use these ram with duron? Sorry for asking too many questions;
Yes that will work nicely, and questions are why the board is here...welcome by the way.

no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end, when we all disintegrate, it'll all happen again.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
tomshardwareguide = THG or "the forum" is fine :)

yep
duron 800 is a nice upgrade
and chip and mobo for 100 is a pretty good price
and a 300W psu should be ok for what u want, however just bear in mind there are good 300W psu's (enermax, toptower, antec, sparkle) and there are very crappy ones (generic).

a good way to tell of a cheap psu is its physical weight. over 2 pound is a good idea.
also the better ones have 2 fans, rear and bottom of the psu.
i know your on a budget so u probably cant afford an enermax, but hopefully ive given u some pointers.

and pc100 should work fine in that system. just dont expect amazing memory bandwidth ;)

Why do i feel like the lone sane voice in the mental assylum?

G

>I'm thinking about getting Duron 800 Mhz with ECS k7S5A
>motherboard. Is this a good choice? I

Yes.. No.. well, maybe.. this is helpfull, no ?
The ECS board is fast, can be rock stable and is dirt cheap.. BUT.. many people are reporting dead boards. Matisaro had 4 (!) DOA in a row. I've had one for a few months, and Im very *VERY* pleased with it, but I am still reluctant to recommend it, since Im seeing a lot of issues with this board on several news groups:
It seems the newest revision has a data corruption issue.. the board also tends to require a high quality power supply. And the DOA rate seems incredibly high.

My advise would probably be to get one anyway if you'r on a budget. But buy it from a local dealer that you know, and dont be afraid to return it if you'r having issues. Make sure you run memtest86 once you've installed it, because this program will report the data corruption issue if you are affected (download it from http://www.memtest86.com/). ALso make sure you get a quality PSU. Doesnt have to be like 450w, but buy a reputable brand.. not a cheap one.

More info on this board can be found here:
http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=4

Very good indepth source of info on that MB. IF you'r lucky, you'll make the best buy you've ever made (I have). If you'r unlucky, you'll spend quite a bit of time swapping motherboards till you get one that works. If that doesnt scare you, go for it. Otherwise you might want to wait for other manufacturers to bring out their SiS735 boards. SiS is about to ship theirs I thought.. will be a tad more expensive than the ECS, but should save you some trouble.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

G

>SiS is about to ship theirs I thought..

OOps.. MSI I mean..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Yep, 4 doa in a row, I cant reccomend that brand. The chipset maybe, but not that particular mobo.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

FatBurger

Illustrious
It's funny how you can always tell when someone is from Hong Kong :)

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check <A HREF="http://www2.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_756_759^1039^1053,00.html" target="_new">here</A>.
For speed, choose Athlon 1400, form factor ATX.