Your question

"A disk read error has occured" installing Windows 7

Tags:
  • SATA
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
February 9, 2013 12:16:48 AM

A week ago, my monitor froze and I had to shut off the power. When I turned the computer back on, I received a message that read:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Media in selected Boot device and press a key
SATA 1: Installed
SATA 2: None
SATA 3: None
SATA 4: None
SATA 5: Installed
SATA 6: None

(note that I only have a single hard drive)

I put in the Windows 7 disk, and tried to install it. I received the error "Windows 7 setup was unable to create a new system partition". Using an adapter, I connected the hard drive to my laptop, and it worked perfectly that way.

I couldn't figure out how to fix this, and that hard drive is fairly old (and loud), so I decided to use a new one that I had in storage. Booting the computer from this hard drive gives me "a disk read error has occured" message. This hard drive was partioned earlier, but has no information on it. What sort of fix can I do to install Windows 7 on the new hard drive? And what is wrong with my old hard drive in the first place?

More about : disk read error occured installing windows

a c 289 $ Windows 7
February 9, 2013 12:31:59 AM

bad cable? try a different sata connection on the motherboard?
m
l
February 9, 2013 12:32:57 AM

I've tried all four.
m
l
Related resources
a c 270 $ Windows 7
February 9, 2013 1:33:06 AM

could have locked up your mb or have a sata chipset error. i would drain the power from the mb. then use the clear the cmos jumper. then check that the sata ports are st to achi mode not ide or raid.
m
l
February 10, 2013 4:37:59 PM

still looking for an answer. I don't really know much about hardware, so the above is beyond me, but I think that's a tad excessive. there's certainly a much simpler explanation.
m
l
February 10, 2013 9:00:35 PM

here's something that might help. For some reason, I was receiving a different error message. "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

How do I do this?
m
l
a c 270 $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 5:41:31 AM

bios sata ports set to achi mode. then look under hard drives in the boot tab of the bios. your boot drive should be there and one of the top devices. windows wont boot if the hard drive c partion is not the main one and is active. check that there only a system partion and data partion on your main drive.
m
l