Athlon XP or not?

olrac

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2001
I am going to perform a clean install with W2K. My new motherboard supports my new Athlon XP processor only if I flash the bios. Will I see any performance difference if I have my bios recognize the new XP processor or should I just leave it as a regular 1.4 gig athlon processor? If I do not flash the bios, my motherboard will not see the processor as the "xp" athlon but just a regular athlon. I chose the XP processor as opposed to the regular because it was cheaper and someday I would like to install XP and take advantage of this processor.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
You don't need WinXP to take advantage of the new featueres. What flashing the bios will do is enable the computer to see it as an XP, and it will enable the SSE and 3Dnow Professional parts of the CPU, which should give you some advantages.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet

G

I cant believe this.. Even people that frequent this forum associate windows XP with the Athlon XP. ITS MARKETING ONLY Olrac... just a name, thats it. The next volkswagen that comes is likely to be called VW XP, but that doesnt require you to buy windows XP to take advantage of it !

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Don't forget, the new P4 Northwood's official name will be the P4 XP :wink:

XP is just a buzz acronem for several different things. the AMD XP stands for Extreme Performance.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Ohh, that's sad.. The Athlon XP and Windows XP have nothing to do with each other!!!!!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
At the moment, the low end XPs are cheeper than the clock equivilent T-birds. The T-birds are more expensive to make because of the die size and the material that the chips are packaged in.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Seriously, the Athlon XP has nothing to do with Windows XP and yes, you need to update your BIOS to take advantage of the new features in your Athlon XP processor such as SSE. That's pretty much it

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor