Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this RAM "Dell compatible"?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 10:15:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

My friend has a Dimension 2400 (about a year old) but only has 128mb of
memory. Would he be able to pick up this ram so I can put it into his
system? It's a 256 stick, 184 pin, pc2700 ddr from a company called "PNY".

http://tinyurl.com/5ajph

More about : ram dell compatible

Anonymous
September 28, 2004 11:02:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

yes you can as long as the other stick of memory is pc2700. 2400 also uses
pc3200.. if you look at the other memory stick inside the computer, example. it
should say maybe something like samsung pc2700.
other then that its easy to do :) 
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 11:02:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I'm not aware of any Dimension 2400 models that came with pc3200. They've
never had faster than a 533 bus.

Mine came with PC2700. I'm pretty sure it requires CL2.5.

Tom
"MichaelPa2004" <michaelpa2004@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040928030208.07582.00001208@mb-m11.aol.com...
> yes you can as long as the other stick of memory is pc2700. 2400 also uses
> pc3200.. if you look at the other memory stick inside the computer,
> example. it
> should say maybe something like samsung pc2700.
> other then that its easy to do :) 
Related resources
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 11:54:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Agreed Tom and for the OP, the RAM will run at the speed of the slowest RAM
you have installed. In a 2400 there really is no reason to install PC3200.
PC 2700 would be fine and will probably be the same RAM speed installed from
the factory. And yes I have heard of PNY and never heard of any complaints
using that make RAM.

Regards,
John O.


"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:yuednTtpXbwL3cTcRVn-vA@comcast.com...
> I'm not aware of any Dimension 2400 models that came with pc3200. They've
> never had faster than a 533 bus.
>
> Mine came with PC2700. I'm pretty sure it requires CL2.5.
>
> Tom
> "MichaelPa2004" <michaelpa2004@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:20040928030208.07582.00001208@mb-m11.aol.com...
>> yes you can as long as the other stick of memory is pc2700. 2400 also
>> uses
>> pc3200.. if you look at the other memory stick inside the computer,
>> example. it
>> should say maybe something like samsung pc2700.
>> other then that its easy to do :) 
>
>
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 12:14:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"MichaelPa2004" <michaelpa2004@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040928030208.07582.00001208@mb-m11.aol.com...
> yes you can as long as the other stick of memory is pc2700. 2400 also uses
> pc3200.. if you look at the other memory stick inside the computer,
> example. it
> should say maybe something like samsung pc2700.
> other then that its easy to do :) 

Thanks for your reply. The other stick of memory HAS to be 2700? If it's
2100, won't the new 2700 that I put in just run slower?
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 1:11:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

someone correct me if im wrong. yes it will run slower if you mix pc2100 and
pc2700. thats why you should match them together instead of mixing. there is
also ram out there thats pc2700 but can be reversed the other way for pc2100
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 3:03:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

well a 2400 can use pc3200 crucial even says lol
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 7:46:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Can use" is much different than "came with".

Tom
"MichaelPa2004" <michaelpa2004@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040928070303.24357.00001091@mb-m16.aol.com...
> well a 2400 can use pc3200 crucial even says lol
September 28, 2004 10:12:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Here is a little program that will tell you what is in your computer with
opening the box.
http://www.lavalys.com/
Carolyn
"Swert" <f@home.com> wrote in message
news:Hj76d.147787$4h7.24975619@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> My friend has a Dimension 2400 (about a year old) but only has 128mb of
> memory. Would he be able to pick up this ram so I can put it into his
> system? It's a 256 stick, 184 pin, pc2700 ddr from a company called
> "PNY".
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5ajph
>
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 10:40:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:fsGdnar1s59dfMTcRVn-pA@comcast.com...
> Here is a little program that will tell you what is in your computer with
> opening the box.
> http://www.lavalys.com/
> Carolyn
> "Swert" <f@home.com> wrote in message
> news:Hj76d.147787$4h7.24975619@twister.nyc.rr.com...
>> My friend has a Dimension 2400 (about a year old) but only has 128mb of
>> memory. Would he be able to pick up this ram so I can put it into his
>> system? It's a 256 stick, 184 pin, pc2700 ddr from a company called
>> "PNY".
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/5ajph
>>
>
>


The 2400 is likely running a Celeron (400mhz FSB) so even if the RAM works,
it will only run at 266mhz.......just a heads up.


Stew
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 12:58:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

What makes you say it is 'likely a Celeron'? My 2400 is a P4-2.8.

Tom
"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:nCm6d.61324$as2.15229@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>
> "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:fsGdnar1s59dfMTcRVn-pA@comcast.com...
>> Here is a little program that will tell you what is in your computer with
>> opening the box.
>> http://www.lavalys.com/
>> Carolyn
>> "Swert" <f@home.com> wrote in message
>> news:Hj76d.147787$4h7.24975619@twister.nyc.rr.com...
>>> My friend has a Dimension 2400 (about a year old) but only has 128mb of
>>> memory. Would he be able to pick up this ram so I can put it into his
>>> system? It's a 256 stick, 184 pin, pc2700 ddr from a company called
>>> "PNY".
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/5ajph
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
> The 2400 is likely running a Celeron (400mhz FSB) so even if the RAM
> works, it will only run at 266mhz.......just a heads up.
>
>
> Stew
>
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 1:05:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:za-dneaybf8llcfcRVn-iA@comcast.com...
> What makes you say it is 'likely a Celeron'? My 2400 is a P4-2.8.
>
> Tom


Most I've seen are value systems with the Celeron processors, though as you
point out, the P4 is available.

Hence why I used the qualifier "likely".

;-)

Stew
!