Attack: Duron 1200 Takes On the Pentium 4

G

Did AMD release the XP2000+ while I was asleep, or why did Tom include an overclocked cpu in this review ??
(on a side note, its not like the 1900+ cant handle the situation).

Also.. while the title sounds promising.. I cant see why anyone would buy a Duron 1200 if you can have an XP1500+ for about $10 more..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
I believe that Tom included the oc'd XP 1900+ to show what the 2000+ will perform like. I have no idea why anyone would buy the duron 1200 when u can have the XP for a little more. I can see getting a duron 650-750 and o/c'in it to a gig...

My system: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946</A>

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I cant see why anyone would buy a Duron 1200 if you can have an XP1500+ for about $10 more..
If they had a motherboard that only supported a 200 fsb, then the duron would be feasable.

Another Cookie? Who is going to pay my dentist bill?

believe it or not i was thinking of getting a pentium 4. I'm no joe shmoe user. Just want to try something different. However, even the duron beat the pentium 4's. thats pretty pathetic!

So i'll just stick with the athlon XP Does anyone have a suggestion for a heatsink and fan. And don't tell me swifttech because i don't think this motherboard fits it. And don't tell me the volcano 7 cos i read a review on it and it sucks monkey balls. I hate thermaltake! they make the worst crap. So how does global cak do and what about vantec? alpha? suggestions?

thanks!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

G

I think the 2000+ was included because the site has gone to "updating" charts rather than having to build new ones for each test.

But I agree, go the XP over the duron.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Also.. while the title sounds promising.. I cant see why anyone would buy a Duron 1200 if you can have an XP1500+ for about $10 more..
You've got that right.

I think pricing schedules will change as the Tbirds are phased out. When that happens I believe the Morgan core Durons will be significantly cheaper than Athlon XPs.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

eden

Champion
Still, back then such GHZ prices are relatively low. I mean it is nothing high compared to before and most will adopt such value processors. They are cheap priced, and suddenly become better. They should switch the Duron's core though to a new one like Frank said about. It's great to have value price systems, but give them better performance that those now!
Still the P4 is the processor to rant if you wanna be cool anyway (it always felt) but we all know the damnation of owning one. Hopefully if Northwood is GOOD, we can rant for real!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
can I suggest the Swiftech MCX-370 - that'll fit and is a hellofa heatsink.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, the new cores are out. I think beginning with the Duron 1000 (maybe it was the 950), AMD started using the Morgan core. A few benchmarkers have shown the "Morgan" 1000 to match the Tbird 1000 in some tests and surpass it in some others. In yet other tests the Duron is still slower.

Personally, I believe AMD is attempting to set up a higher pricing structure. I mean while Durons were ranging from $28-$88 (street prices) and Tbirds from $75 (1 ghz) to $120 for the 1.4, all before the XP was released, I don't think AMD was making much profit (if any).

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
If no Thermaltake or Swiftech, get an OCZ Galdiator or some sort of Thin Fin design. An Alpha Pal8045 needs the 4 holes and if the Swiftech won't fit, I'd think the Pal won't either. The Pal-6035 is a decent HS, that's what I use.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
What I don't understand is why Tom insisted in pairing the Celeron with old SD133 RAM whilst putting the Duron with DDR200 RAM when there are now socket 370 MBOs with DDR200 support. Okay, its no suprise that the Duron beats the P4, even the Celeron can do that if set up properly.

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Because the Celeron doesn't have the memory thruput support to take advantage of DDR Ram, even on a board that supports DDR

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
besides, a Duron with PC133 would probably be faster with than one with DDR1600

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
HSF's?

the generic one...
vantec
coolermaster
or if u want quality for extreme conditions/overclocking

sk-6
mcx370
mcx462
alpha pal8045

best one around is the mcx462. it craps on everyting else. gotta have a mobo that fits it however, like the pal8045

i reckon the best compromise between price and cooling ability is the sk-6 or the mcx370

Why do i feel like the lone sane voice in the mental assylum?

ok cool thanks... I have the GA-7DXR so the mega HS switftech 462 and it doesn't fot my board.

my concern is that because that HSF doesn't fit my board will the 370 fit my board?

whats the sk-6? i never heard of it.

Thermaltake i don't really like them. Coolermaster are nice but not for the poweruser.

i'd probably get the swiftech MCX370 the other wouldn't fit my board. Do you know if that model fits the 7dxr or not?

thanks!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The Thermalright SK6! It's an all copper heatsink! I agree, it's the best heatsink for the price.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
the MCX-370 is the baby brother of the 462.
all aluminium with hellical pins

it also DOESNT have the usual clip mechanism.
has 2 screw clips.
screw the screws in
put the HS on, put the clips on
undo the screws, a bit at a time for each screw, and let the springs apply the force required.

Why do i feel like the lone sane voice in the mental assylum?

G

not that I'd be an Intel fan, but
it has to be said that the DivX 4.02 codec used in the mpeg-4 benchmark was optimized for Athlon CPUs (because the previous version tended to crash).
DivX 4.11 has been (additionally) optimized for P4 (up to 78% faster they say on http://www.divx.com/divx/index.php !!!)

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<shocked>divX 4.11 optimized for the P4? :eek: well, that's an outrage! they must be in Intels pockets too! </shocked>LOL!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmDmElTdOwN on 11/21/01 10:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Only if divx was funded by intel, like lightwave, and sandra is unbiased as well huh...seeing as intel owns a stake in it lol.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

eden

Champion
I am gonna get that too, but the retail fan, was yours a retail too? And do you consider that very good and have no problems, without the case cooling? And is it noisy?

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Dunno if retail or not. Whats the difference? It cost me $20 AUD. Its pretty good, i have absolutely no problems without case cooling. THe noise level is pretty good. If you take the case off you'll definitely hear it though.