Sign in with
Your question

Transfer old OS after replacing motherboard

Last response: in Windows 7
February 9, 2013 3:15:01 AM

Hello
My motherboard failed. I can't boot into my existing win7 OS anymore. I will have to install a new board, which usually means, complete new installation and loss of all settings and updates (2 years)
Is there any way or tool to transfer my existing OS, with all settings and programs intact into the new hardware environment?

I tried to post this question once already, butwas not sure if it went through, I apologize if this came up twice, I am new to this forum.
a c 238 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
February 9, 2013 3:22:28 AM

Replace the motherboard, and try to boot. If it is the same chipset, you should have no problem. If it is even similar, you have good odds of success.
If it boots, you will have to reistall the motherboard drivers which will come on a cd with your new motherboard.
I have been successful with this about 5 out of 6 times.
The lone failure was a amd to intel conversion.
m
l
February 9, 2013 3:57:06 AM

thanks for the advice, so there is hope!
my win7-64 is a retail version btw
however what can be done if it doesn't boot? is there any way of transferring the old OS into a fresh installed one, (without being able to do the preparations mentioned in other forums any more)

Also to complicate things further, before the motherboard shut down completely, it had windows boot into a 'temporary profile', which I didn't manage to fix before it died. Now I found the info to do that but obviusly can't access the drive.

Furthermore I established a complete copy/clone of my functioning OS just a few weeks ago, using Partition Wizard, this is supposed to be a bootable, fully working copy. the drive letter asigned to this is F: at the moment.
It seems to makes sense to use this version rather, than the old spoiled one. But I am not quite sure how to do that.
I am not very good with hardware and particular bad when it comes to dos & bios environment issues.
Another possibility would be to copy the backup I created and replacing the new installation, but then probably the hardware will have issues again?

Sorry for this many questions but I highly appreciate any help on this
m
l
Related resources
a c 238 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
February 9, 2013 4:07:41 AM

Plan A:
Try to boot with your old hard drive .

Plan B:
Boot to your windows install dvd and select repair.

Plan C:
Use your clone image to restore to a fresh hard drive.

Plan D:
Consider this as an opportunity to buy a SSD and install a fresh copy of windows there. After the install, reattach your old hard drive, and your files should be accessable. Apps will need to be reinstalled.
m
l
February 9, 2013 4:42:33 AM

ok

I forgot to mention that all my data and files are safe on different hdd, plus a back-up exists as well
this is only about trying to keep the current OS without having to do a new install and then work through tons of upgrading and days of installing software and configurations.

If I try Plan A and it fails is Plan B still an option? I read somewhere that a failed boot to new hardware would corrupt the existing OS completely.

Plan C: I am not quite sure how to do that.
The copy sits on another drive, in its own bootable (supposedly) partition (named f:)  and looks when connected identical to my drive c:. Sadly I failed to check out if Partition Wizard offers a procedure for that.

Plan D what exactly is an SSD and what are the advantages to HDD and are there any disadvantages.
With Apps you mean all software and configurations? Is there a way of transfering an Os from HDD to SSD?

Thanks a lot again for your help
m
l
a c 238 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
February 9, 2013 12:50:02 PM

If plan A fails, plan b is still an option.

If you have a fresh hard drive available, boot from the program that created the cloned image. For examole if you used windows backup to create the cloned image, then boot from your windows install dvd and run windows backup program to restore the cloned image to a hard drive. Hopefully, it is a new drive. I always want to preserve the original os drive untouched if I can.

A SSD is a Solid State Device. It is 50X faster than a hard drive in random I/O, and that is what we do most. It is 2-3x faster in sequential.
If you put the os, apps, and small files on it, everything will go so much faster. A windows install or update that might take an hour will be done in 10 minutes.

If your old os drive has less data than the SSD, you can use a cloning program to copy the original os to a ssd.
If you buy an intel ssd, they provide a cloning utility that works for their ssd's. Samsung also does a similar thing, but I have not used that.
m
l
February 10, 2013 1:23:13 AM

again many many thanks for your good advice.

the ssd options sounds really interesting and I will look into.
maybe as an update once all the other things have worked out.

I just sent off the faulty board now I will have to wait first and see whats gonna happen in terms of repair/replace/buy new.
i am living in Thailand and things are a little slow around here, patience is essential.

I probably will have more questions in the future, but for now

Thanks again and goodbye
m
l
!