AMD multiplier & FSB

G

Hi THG,

I just read your article about XP 2000+.

I want to ask if 166MHz is a good FSB (like 66, 100, 133).
If yes, I wonder why you not lowering the multiplier & highering the FSB to 166?
So instead of 12.5 x 133 it could be 11 x 166 or 11.5 x 166.
It could be faster, am I right?

Get BeOS (http://free.be.com)
The Best ever Operating System

G

If you can get DDR memory to handle that FSB of 166mhz/332mhz please tell me how?

Basically its a balance of multiplier and FSB overclocking that works best for me, it depends on what hardware you have installed, some say to go fsb as high as you can go-back off until stable then up the multiplier and Vcore and find a stable level. I personally prefer to go multiplier first then fsb, as the multiplier directly effects the CPU where FSB effects the hardware and busses and could do as I did and blow a HDD and hurt a PCI bus card..(they were crap anyway)

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
in theory 166fsb sounds wonderful...
BUT

A. your ram has to be able to run at that speed. most does not. soon there will be motherboards and ram that supports such speeds. i.e. u can by PC2400 (150) ram allready, and PC2700 (166) is just comming out now.

B. your motherboard has to be able to handle it. faster FSB's need new designs, and importantly, new chips that support different dividers. with 133 boards, the PCI & AGP run at a fraction of that speed, 33mhz and 66mhz respectfully. they do this by dividing the 133 by 4. problem is current ones only support 1/4 max... not 1/5 or 1/6. so if you try 166mhz fsb, your pushing your PCI and AGP devices to 41.5mhz and 83mhz. this can cauze big problems.
CRASH.

fortunately... things are progressing.
166fsb boards will be appearing shortly, both for the pentium 4 (Sis 645) and for the athlon (iwill XP333). and 166mhz DDR ram is comming soon too. apparently even 200mhz ddr ram is going to be reality in 2002 as well!

me personally, im running PC150 sdram with an athlon 1200C. at 1350@150fsb. i get better performance than a 1400@133.

Why do i feel like the lone sane voice in the mental assylum?

G

me personally, I'm running PC150 sdram with an Athlon 1200C. at 1350@150fsb. I get better performance than a 1400@133.
I agonised over that same decision you made to stay with that technology, I was in a simular situation and went DDR instead. Cant o'clock it as much but whatever.

Are you sure about having better performance than a 1.4? or you were talking default?

Well well, a challenge to you my friend, you and your 1.2 overclocked max- and my 1.4 overclocked x multiplier and I will stay at 133fsb on si-soft Sandra or any bench...ok? That’s fair yeah? (I have a crappy hdd but say no way that a 1.2 can even get near a 2Ghz P4, oh ooops did I say that! I mean a 1.4Ghz maxed and stable@1680Mhz is that the same thing!)
Btw I do get 13 x on my cpu/board for about an hour, but my favourite is 11.5x.

Don't ya hate being quoted...?

Go get em !!!

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink: