Partitioning a Dell?

Anyone know how to effectively partition a Dell computer with Windows XP
home?
18 answers Last reply
More about partitioning dell

    "Gary Avrett" <designer852@sbcglobal.net_nospam> wrote in news:Lo86d.11344
    $Qv5.9836@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

    > Anyone know how to effectively partition a Dell computer with Windows XP
    > home?

    Partition Magic has worked fine for me on my Dells.

    --
    Tom McCune

    Yep, been using partition magic for years w/o difficulty.

    Mike

    Gary Avrett wrote:

    > Anyone know how to effectively partition a Dell computer with Windows XP
    > home?

    Alternatively, you can do it by doing a clean install of XP and
    partioning the drive during the install process. It's the first thing I
    do with any new PC. I simply don't like all the junk the OEMs put on
    their machines and I don't trust the imaging process they use.

    Bob

    Thank Bob, I did a reformat and reload of XP last night...The option to do
    that did not stand out at me and I ended up reloading Windows XP on the one
    primary drive C: without a partition. Can you give me more information as to
    how to acheive this?
    Thanks,
    Gary

    Thanks for the quick reply. I knew about Partition Magic but low on funds at
    the moment and was hoping to do it for free. I could have done it with the
    old FDISK and FORMAT on a Windows 98 bootup disk but there is no A: floppy
    drive in this machine.
    Gary
    Gary

    Gary Avrett wrote:

    > Thank Bob, I did a reformat and reload of XP last night...The option to do
    > that did not stand out at me and I ended up reloading Windows XP on the one
    > primary drive C: without a partition. Can you give me more information as to
    > how to acheive this?

    I assume that you set the computer to boot to the CD drive and put the
    XP CD in the drive. When you get to the screen that tells you there's
    already a C: partition, delete it. Then you can add partitions to the
    non-partitioned space at any size you so desire.

    Once done, pick a partition to install Windows to. The installer will
    format that partition and install Windows. Once Windows is installed you
    can format the other partitions.

    Bob

    Thanks...there is a very small partition(fat16????) a partition that is
    3.4mb(fat32) and the C: which is NTSF. I will delete the C and do as you
    said. What are these other two small partitions for?
    Gary

    > Thanks...there is a very small partition(fat16????) a partition that is
    > 3.4mb(fat32) and the C: which is NTSF. I will delete the C and do as you
    > said. What are these other two small partitions for?
    > Gary

    If it is a very new Dell, the 30-40mb partition contains diagnostics and
    utilities. The second partition ("CP/M") apparently contains the dell
    system restore image, a snapshot of your system software as shipped for
    restore. If you kill the diag/utility partition, then the image partition
    becomes non-accessible.

    Stew

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 18:16:36 GMT, Gary Avrett wrote in

    > Thanks for the quick reply. I knew about Partition Magic but low on funds at
    > the moment and was hoping to do it for free. I could have done it with the
    > old FDISK and FORMAT on a Windows 98 bootup disk but there is no A: floppy
    > drive in this machine.

    Actually, you can't use fdisk or format from a Windows 98 boot disk because
    Windows XP uses NTFS.

    Partition Magic is good but like you said you're low on funds right now.
    The only other way that springs to mind right away is to partition the
    drive during the Windows install, but I'm guessing you just want to change
    your hard drive around and not reinstall Windows in the process. :-)

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    Often the prompts are at the very bootm of the screen. Read each screen
    carefully and you will find it. First delete all partitions then create as
    many pertitions as you like.

    > Thank Bob, I did a reformat and reload of XP last night...The option to do
    > that did not stand out at me and I ended up reloading Windows XP on the
    > one primary drive C: without a partition. Can you give me more information
    > as to how to acheive this?
    > Thanks,
    > Gary

    Partition Magic is widely available for $10 or $15 these days. Nobody pays
    full price for Norton-branded software.

    Ted Zieglar

    "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 18:16:36 GMT, Gary Avrett wrote in
    >
    >> Thanks for the quick reply. I knew about Partition Magic but low on funds
    >> at
    >> the moment and was hoping to do it for free. I could have done it with
    >> the
    >> old FDISK and FORMAT on a Windows 98 bootup disk but there is no A:
    >> floppy
    >> drive in this machine.
    >
    > Actually, you can't use fdisk or format from a Windows 98 boot disk
    > because
    > Windows XP uses NTFS.
    >
    > Partition Magic is good but like you said you're low on funds right now.
    > The only other way that springs to mind right away is to partition the
    > drive during the Windows install, but I'm guessing you just want to change
    > your hard drive around and not reinstall Windows in the process. :-)
    >
    > Dave
    > --
    > You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
    > US Army Signal Corps!!
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    >
    > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    Yes, he would lose that really lean Dell hard drive image. :)

    > Yes, he would lose that really lean Dell hard drive image. :)

    <snip>

    AWWW, c'mon. A skosh of resource-hogging, drive capacity wasting,
    time-dated trialware/bloatware never hurt anything. Much. Or often. Or, uh,
    intentionally. :)

    <cough, cough....wink, nudge...>

    And, hey, they've trimmed the number of first-boot msconfig startup entries
    to below two dozen ...he hheh heh

    Stew

    Must be things have changed a lot in the two years since I bought my most
    recent Dimension. In no Dell that I have owned was there ever any trialware
    or "junk" software. I got exactly what I ordered and no more. And nothing
    extraneous loading with Windows. The only resource-hogging bloatware on my
    computers came from Microsoft.

    Ted Zieglar

    > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes, he would lose that really lean Dell hard drive image. :)
    >>

    > <snip>
    >

    > AWWW, c'mon. A skosh of resource-hogging, drive capacity wasting,
    > time-dated trialware/bloatware never hurt anything. Much. Or often. Or,
    > uh, intentionally. :)
    >
    > <cough, cough....wink, nudge...>
    >
    > And, hey, they've trimmed the number of first-boot msconfig startup
    > entries to below two dozen ...he hheh heh
    >
    > Stew

    Thanks for all the responces to my problem. I took Bobs suggestion..deleted
    the C: partition then repartioned the empty space into 2 .
    Worked like a charm.
    Gary

    Well, do you count AOL? It came on my latest 8400 from the outlet.

    Other than that, I agree with you.....

    Tom
    > Must be things have changed a lot in the two years since I bought my most
    > recent Dimension. In no Dell that I have owned was there ever any
    > trialware or "junk" software. I got exactly what I ordered and no more.
    > And nothing extraneous loading with Windows. The only resource-hogging
    > bloatware on my computers came from Microsoft.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar

    I haven't bought anything from the outlet yet. At the time, I ordered 'No
    ISP' and no ISP software arrived.

    Now that I think of it, I believe the computer came with a link to AOL where
    you could download that beast if you wanted to. But I always thought that
    was a marketing deal between Microsoft and AOL.

    Ted Zieglar

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > Well, do you count AOL? It came on my latest 8400 from the outlet.
    >
    > Other than that, I agree with you.....
    >
    > Tom
    >
    >>Must be things have changed a lot in the two years since I bought my most
    >>recent Dimension. In no Dell that I have owned was there ever any
    >>trialware or "junk" software. I got exactly what I ordered and no more.
    >>And nothing extraneous loading with Windows. The only resource-hogging
    >>bloatware on my computers came from Microsoft.
    >>
    >>Ted Zieglar

    Mine came with AOL, Earthlink, and Netzero..,. did I really need all of
    them? And then there's Dell Media experience... because pictures and
    videos look better with a Dell branded program? First thing I did was
    wipe out all partitions and clean install Windows XP Pro

Dell Computer Partition Windows XP Computers