My windows 98 SE sometimes just freeze.

Akrobatik

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
I just bought a brand new computer, Amd 2700, 512mb ddr ram, radeon 9700 pro, seagate hhd, floppy, liteon cdrw, asus a7n8x, creative labs audigy 2.

And obiviously, I didn't have enough for the new copy of windows, so I used windows 98.

And a lot of time when I'm running, talking on msn messenger or posting on forums, my computer suddenly freezes.

Also happens after about 30 seconds of playing Counter-Strike, my computer will just freeze.

Help?...

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
need more details - memory speed, PSU type and amps on each rail, temp. readings.

Have you tried removing the Audigy just to see if the problem goes away? Are you overclocking the CPU and/or memory? What brand of memory? 1 stick or two?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

What kinda PSU are you running? Output etc.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

Akrobatik

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
I'm on a psu 420 psu from a cheiftec case. pc 3200,
And temperature isn't the problem, I left it on all day and it didn't freeze, this is odd :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Did you install the board on top of an exsting Windows installation? You can usually clean up the existing installation by installing over the top of it. Did you previously have an nVidia card installed? You can clean that up using Detonator Destroyer.

Usually I find this problem to be caused by unstable power or unstable memory. The easy thing to try as a test is backing the memory down to significantly slower settings. IF that doesn't work, I'd keep a keen eye on the power supply for large fluctuations.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Akrobatik

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
No I didn't install the board over an existing windows, it was fresh, and I have a nvidia integrated video card, then I disabled it and install the radeon, and how do I check my memory and psu?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
CPU Overspeed messages are caused by a crashed boot. This would indicate a hardware problem, not a Windows problem. Try underclocking EVERYTHING and check your voltages in windows with the included utility from the disk (Asus Probe, it's often wrong about heat but usually right about voltages).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Norlann

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2002
Hey.. I can help maybe..
So you have :WIN98se ? and Do u have internet connection ADSL or anything similar? this happen on WEBSITES while going to sites? or happen in other programs like GAMES?
tell me and i can help you

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
What you're experiencing is probably from a bad installation of the OS. Did it cleanly install? For example you didn't have to hit the reset button at all during installation. Like I said in another post, when your PSU and RAM checks out, try installing with just 256MB of RAM.

VAGABOND

<b><font color=blue>veni,vidi, and ended up in THGC<font color=blue></b>