Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Windows XP
  • Systems
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2001 2:27:53 PM

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Athlon XP XXXX and the Athlon MP XXXX ?
Specifically, is one meant for multi cpu systems and the other single cpu systems? I want to build a smokin fast multi cpu system and it seems both chips are Palomino core, and it seem to me they use the xp/mp names interchangeably

More about : question

November 17, 2001 2:34:54 PM

Athlon xp may work in smp systems, but if it dosent you cant return them. Athlon mp's work in smp systems and are guarenteed to do so. That is pretty much the only difference.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2001 5:11:57 AM

MP is capable of having motherboards supporting up to 2 processors. XP only 1.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 18, 2001 5:24:00 AM

Actualy, both will work, but the MP has some arcitecture in the chip to help speed up multi-processor functions.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2001 8:54:50 AM

>but the MP has some arcitecture in the chip to help speed
>up multi-processor functions.

Absolutely not. XP and MP are *exactly* the same chips. Its just that the MPs are validated for smp, and XPs arent. So AMD doesnt guarantee the XPs will work on a dual board (but they do). The only technical difference, is that the MPs have their L1 closed, so you can freely select a multiplier, where as the XPs have the L1 bridges open.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
November 18, 2001 10:04:43 AM

Bront your wrong, as the above poster stated, athlon xp and mp are the exact same chip, one is merely validated for mp while the other is not.

No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
November 18, 2001 11:09:53 AM

they are not *exactly* the same chips, something in the MP limits its single processor speed, they run at around 98% of their fellow XP chips, though are faster running as duals

if in doubt blame microsoft...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2001 2:00:36 PM

Got anything to back that up ? I highly doubt that. Sounds like a misunderstanding to me.. something like a dual MP system running single threaded apps, being slower than a single cpu system.. which is correct, because there is some overhead for the OS in assigning work to each cpu.

However, this is valid for ALL SMP systems.. while you use XP, MP, P4 or P3 chips. XP and MP are the *same* chips physically.. Until you provide me a link that shows me otherwise.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
November 18, 2001 2:03:20 PM

Did they test the mp in an mp motherboard, that is also another possible explination for the 2% loss, but I agree, links are in order.

BTW most benhmarks are about +/- 3% so a 2% difference can be attributed to random test variance.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2001 12:59:56 PM

I'm tending to think they are the same chip. I just put together a tyan tiger system with dual 1700 XP chips. In the bios they show up as 1700 MP chips, odd isn't it. It's working great, w/ no problems. MP chips are just a name to sell XP chips at a higher price. Unless it can be proven otherwise, I'll stick w/ the cheaper XP chips. The only reason someone should go w/ MP chips is if they need the support / warranty and if you're running a business and need support for your servers that is somthing to weigh out. The MP chips are supported, but many of you don't buy retail chips anyway, so the AMD warranty is moot.
November 20, 2001 9:28:04 AM

Actually dan, mp chips are tested and validated for mp systems, sometimes tiny errors and mistimings in a chip are not enough to make the chip unstable in a single cpu system, but when the intracies of dual systems and the inherant additional complexity is added that small flaw would be enough to cause palpable errors. SMP validation tests mp chips in a dual processing environment to ensure stability and proper function, while single cpu xps do not. Hense the additional cost.