Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 stuck on welcome screen + unreadable file record fragments

Tags:
February 9, 2013 4:32:36 AM

Hi,

I have a problem with windows 7 stuck on the welcome screen. I have read a lot of posts about similar issues on many websites (this one included) but couldn't find a solution.

A few days ago my laptop (which runs windows 7) became really slow a froze a lot so I restarted it, but after I entered my password it got stuck on the welcome screen.

I've rebooted it countless times but I always get the same result: the little circle keeps spinning and after a very long while (if I'm patient enough and don't turn it off) it goes back to the password screen.

I got the blue screen of death a couple times which mentioned a problem, so I tried a startup repair but no problem was found. I tried a system restore but I've apparently never made a restore point.
I tried using safe mode but it takes for ever to login (when it does at all) and sometimes I get a message that tells me the computer is going to restart in a minute and that I should save stuff.
Once I managed to login in safe mode and did that 'msconfig disable everything' thing and it didn't help so when I managed to login again I quickly re-enabled everything.
I used safe mode with command prompt to perform sfc /scannow, but it got stuck a 10% and I got the message: 'Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation'.
So I tried findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt" to determine which files couldn't be repaired (as I read somewhere) but the sfcdetails.txt file didn't appear on my desktop and I couldn't used 'search programs and files' to find it.
The last thing I tried was chkdsk /r and it started finding unreadable file record segments at 3% of step 1 of 5. Heaps of them were found between file record segment 60010 or so and 64947.
So I freaked out and started writing this. But now it says 'file verification completed. 420 large file records processed. 10 percent complete. (95 of 235 bad file records processed). It doesn't seem to be doing much right now but I'm assuming this is 10% of that 1st step still.

According to what I read on the internet, my hard drive is probably lost and I'll have to buy a new one. If so I'll also have to save my data and do a backup or something, although I don't know how to do that when I can't even get past the welcome screen.

The drive check is still running, but I thought I'd save some time and post this now. I'm hoping that I will at least be able to retrieve my stuff (photos and music mostly).

Let me know if you need more info. I think Windows security essentials may have done some updates a few days before it all started. I had also been downloading music and movies. And itunes is the last thing to have made updates and restored my ipod a few minutes before my computer crashed (so now I've got an empty ipod as well).

I don't really know what else to try. What do you guys reckon I should do?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Guillaume
!